My 2018 with only 10k miles need $1500 throttle bodies - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 01-22-2020, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
My 2018 with only 10k miles need $1500 throttle bodies

2018 Ninja 1000. 10,000 miles. Check engine light. TC light flashing. Code is sub throttle. Only way to fix, replace the throttle bodies. They are $1500.

First bike I’ve bought I didn’t get the extended warranty. Bike rides fine so I guess I’m just gonna ride it no TC until I have the disposable income to buy the throttle bodies and then I will fix and sell this bike.

The TC was so conservative/intrusive compared to my 2015 R1 I would usually turn it off anyways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 61F2A75C-58A8-43AA-8C7D-5ED6646D4DCB_1579700386576.jpeg (169.8 KB, 13 views)

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 01-22-2020, 12:19 PM

Are you going to get another Kawasaki or has this soured you on the brand?

2015 Ninja 1000-Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Carbon Grey, Evotech Tidy Tail, Puig Windscreen (light smoke), Pirelli Angel GTs (190/55 rear), Sargent Seat, Kawasaki Hard Bags, Throttlemeister Throttle Lock Bar Ends
post #3 of 37 Old 01-22-2020, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowda View Post
Are you going to get another Kawasaki or has this soured you on the brand?
No not soured and I am not sure what I would get next. Nothing out there really compelling me.

I should clarify that I am going to keep the bike until I am compelled. Just not going to bother blowing the cash to fix it until I plan on selling it.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 01-22-2020, 02:32 PM

What a bummer.

I'm really curious about how the conclusion was reached the only solution to correct this problem was to replace the entire subthrottle assembly. Could you elaborate please?
Not knowing anything else it seems way more likely to be a sensor or wiring issue and way less than a $1500 fix. In the service manual every mention of subthrottle problems indicates an open or short in the wiring or fault in the subthrottle sensor.
Darthanubis likes this.

2018 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Sargent Seat, Puig/Vstream screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
post #5 of 37 Old 01-22-2020, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
All the connectors and wiring have been checked. Every time the code is cleared it comes back after riding it for a while. You can not buy the sensor, it’s part of the entire throttle-body assembly.

I need to check P/Ns and see if I can use pre ‘17 throttle bodies. Maybe I can find a used set cheaper (hopefully not being sold because they sub-throttle took a crap) that will work.

post #6 of 37 Old 01-22-2020, 03:03 PM

Thats insane. What about checking with that company who bored throttle bodies? Not as if thats what you need, but you know they would have spare parts laying around.

I really doubt thats the problem, but as a shop, its an awesome problem to give to a customer. Unless the customer buys new throttle bodies, they dont have to dig one inch deeper to find the real cause.

Maybe contact Kawasaki and explain how unsafe this situation is. After all, their safety device has failed...much like the faulty abs pumps they fixed way past the warranty date.
post #7 of 37 Old 01-22-2020, 03:07 PM
OCL

I don't get the full TB replacement either.

The TB consists of MANY parts. Fuel rail, fuel injectors, the throttle bodies themselves (tube sucking air in with the butterflies), then it has the Throttle Position Sensor, and the MAP (Manifold Pressure Sensor with vacuum lines), then the Cold Idle Enrichener sensor. Then there's the throttle body boots that connect it to engine. I could be missing a few areas but that's it in a nutshell.

If the dealer is saying the whole thing needs to be replaced, I call BS. I can't see that happening unless the "body" is cracked, or something. That's quite rare to fail.
Darthanubis likes this.
post #8 of 37 Old 01-22-2020, 03:12 PM
OCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
I really doubt thats the problem, but as a shop, its an awesome problem to give to a customer. Unless the customer buys new throttle bodies, they dont have to dig one inch deeper to find the real cause.
This is exactly what's happening is my guess. In order to find what PART of the TB is broken, one needs to spend the time to diagnose and isolate the problem. I did this on my complicated VFR800 TB too. I turned out to be a mechanical linkage adjustment issue. A new VFR800 TB was also quite pricey, but Honda sells all the parts needed to R&R each area of the TB.

It's quite rare for whole TB's to fail. Usually it's a sensor failure and even that is rare. In my prefious experience, Japanese made sensors are quite robust. This is one of their hallmark "secrets" in their cars and bikes. Their manufacturing and QC process when it comes to small parts are very high.
Darthanubis likes this.
post #9 of 37 Old 01-22-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrmeltr View Post
All the connectors and wiring have been checked. Every time the code is cleared it comes back after riding it for a while. You can not buy the sensor, it’s part of the entire throttle-body assembly.

I need to check P/Ns and see if I can use pre ‘17 throttle bodies. Maybe I can find a used set cheaper (hopefully not being sold because they sub-throttle took a crap) that will work.
While I agree with what's been said, I wish you luck in finding a reasonable $$ solution. If you can use earlier tb's you should be able to find something.

Almost seems to be a consequence of getting a bike that's too reliable. It's pretty much impossible to walk into a shop anymore and have the mechanic say "Yep, it's most likely xyz. I've seen it a dozen times. We have the part, come back in a couple hours and I should have you all fixed up."

2018 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Sargent Seat, Puig/Vstream screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
post #10 of 37 Old 01-22-2020, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
If you look at the parts list online. You will see only the entire throttle body assembly is sold by Kawasaki. It really is insane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page