Odd noise only when the clutch is out - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-26-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Odd noise only when the clutch is out

Today I was just driving around the corner to fill her up for the winter storage. I have the Ninja 1000 2017 (Never been dropped) and probably about 5k miles on it in the past three years iv owned it. Its garage kept and I baby the hell out of it, oil changes, chain lube every 400 miles, etc.. Today I noticed a sound which reminded me like a sound when a leaf is stuck on a bicycle and its hitting the spokes. The sound is almost exactly like that. I hear it when I'm coasting or steady on the gas. The only time I don't hear it is when I pull the clutch in when I am coasting, then the sound goes away. The sound sounds like its coming between the front/center of the bike. Also whats interesting I had the bike up on stands doing an oil change today. After the oil change I started her up and put it into 1st gear while the rear wheel was elevated, expecting to hear the noise since the clutch was engaged. But to my suprise it didnt make the noise. So it seems like when Im on the bike and I dont have the clutch pulled in I hear the "feathering" noise. Anyone have any idea? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-26-2019, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Just thinking some more... maybe something with the front sprocket or an issue with the chain since it seems to be only happening when its under tension (clutch is engaged)?
post #3 of 12 Old 10-26-2019, 10:24 PM

I had the same issue with my 2018 a couple months back. I brought it to the dealer as it is under warranty expecting the worst. The parts guy heard it as he drove it in. They apparently drove it around For 45 minutes and couldn't hear a thing. Did some adjustments and gave it back to me. No issues since. They said around 5-6 k is when the clutch plates start to break in and that is what was causing it. They then wanted to charge me 120$ as a diagnostic 45min ride. Ha pound sand. Yours might be different but oddly similiar to my bike.
tford likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-28-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherktheshark View Post
Did some adjustments and gave it back to me. No issues since. They said around 5-6 k is when the clutch plates start to break in and that is what was causing it. They then wanted to
Clutch plates don't break in by making ticking noises. WTF with that dealership.....

Most likely something is hitting something underneath your chain's path (under the swing arm) since it makes that noise under deceleration, and that part of the chain will be under tension. Check the chain tension and rear wheel alignment is the first I would do. If the noise persists, I would remove the engine sprocket cover and check was under there. Could be a rock or a small branch stuck in there and hitting the chain. It's unusual but it can happen. Basically just check the whole path of the chain to make sure it's clear of any obstruction.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-28-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Stupid me had the sprocket cover off to clean/degrease the chain and stupid me put it all back together without inspecting the sprocket, (banging my head on the wall). It does make the noise (ticking/feathering) noise when decelerating or opening the throttle (throttle open/closed the noise is still there). The only time it goes away is when the clutch is pulled in.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-28-2019, 01:56 PM

This video is worth looking at. Notice how the clutch plates are squished together when you let it out. When you pull the clutch in, these plates separate and bounce around. Also, part of it stops moving, so the sound changes. Thats totally normal. Also keep in mind the clutch turns at about 1/2 speed of the engine so rpm often times doesnt change things as much as you imagine.

Its not a part that was ever designed to be quiet. Thats not part of its purpose. If you have problems, noise is a poor way to diagnose these problems. You need to visually look at it.

People complain of engine noises now because the exhaust systems are so quiet. In the old days, you did not hear them. This clutch is very simple and durable. I really doubt anything is wrong. I have not heard of any issue with this assist slipper we have in the new bikes...16 and newer.

If a shop fixed it by adjusting the cable, nothing was ever wrong with he clutch. Also, the odds of having bad sounds, and a clutch that works normally are really low. A bad clutch slips in some form or another.

Ninja Raven likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-28-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
This video is worth looking at. Notice how the clutch plates are squished together when you let it out. When you pull the clutch in, these plates separate and bounce around. Also, part of it stops moving, so the sound changes. Thats totally normal. Also keep in mind the clutch turns at about 1/2 speed of the engine so rpm often times doesnt change things as much as you imagine.

Its not a part that was ever designed to be quiet. Thats not part of its purpose. If you have problems, noise is a poor way to diagnose these problems. You need to visually look at it.

People complain of engine noises now because the exhaust systems are so quiet. In the old days, you did not hear them. This clutch is very simple and durable. I really doubt anything is wrong. I have not heard of any issue with this assist slipper we have in the new bikes...16 and newer.

If a shop fixed it by adjusting the cable, nothing was ever wrong with he clutch. Also, the odds of having bad sounds, and a clutch that works normally are really low. A bad clutch slips in some form or another.

https://youtu.be/wuYO0oZr47w
rcannon409, one of the guys I was hoping to hear a response from and get your opinion . The noise though only happens when I release the clutch and the gear is engaged and Im riding the bike (tension on the engine). There is no shifting issues (up or down shifting). Im just hoping that I didnt do any mechanical damage to the clutch or transmission by adding a quick shifter. The quick shifter I only use at times for upshifts and seems to be smooth when I do it, only a couple of times it caused false neutrals. Im thinking something with the chain or front sprocket, but for a bike with only 4-5k of miles, seems like wear and tear is unlikely, no?
post #8 of 12 Old 10-28-2019, 03:04 PM

The quickshifter adds a whole new angle. Sorry i missed that. I didn't know that was involved. Im not a fan of them when its a non ride by wire system. Also, a casette gear box system makes transmission damage much easier to work with. A zx10 has this. We dont. We just dont have the engine controls that ride by wire has. The things need to be set up perfectly, and used in the perfect circumstances. I dont know if we have heard of a ninja damaging its transmission and a qs was not involved. Still they say a properly set us system is perfectly safe....hopefully.

The qs wont damage your clutch. Even though its clearly involved in the process, it really isnt. Im sure that makes sense?

Even at that, transmission damage usually shows up as miss shifts, false neutrals, and slipping ut of gear. I dont know many who would go into our transmission for just a ticking, although it might turn up later.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-28-2019, 09:48 PM

I had to double check and see if i was in the correct place. I saw this thread over on the z900 forum. The sounds they describe sound similar to yours.

Different bike, but the clutch is identical to what we have.

This clutch is really a crazy assed design as compared to what we have in the past 30 years. Its so different that it probably does make different noises than we have heard before. Lots of metal to metal contact in this model.

https://www.z900forum.com/index.php/topic,3116.0.html
post #10 of 12 Old 10-28-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

rcannon409, thanks for the link! It seems a little different then what I am having where they have a "grinding" noise when pulling in the clutch. I have like a "feathering" noise only when the clutch is released (gear engaged). If I pull the clutch in the noise goes away. I took the front sprocket cover off again and inspected it. I didnt see anything on the chain or front sprocket. I included two pictures one from last year and one from just tonight. The difference is 1,300 miles that I have done since. Surprisingly for only 1,300 miles difference the sprocket teeth I thought looked a little more worn then I would expect for such a short distance. Also the "now" picture seems to have some whitesh like covering on the side of the sprocket you can see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sprocket-then.jpg (98.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg sprocket-now.jpg (201.1 KB, 13 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page