Fuel Pump kept running - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By kenors
  • 1 Post By Ninja_1000
  • 1 Post By kenors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-06-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Fuel Pump kept running

I washed my bike today and when I turned the bike on after drying it off - the fuel pump kept running and would not shut off. Check engine light lit up and was flashing. I promptly took it out for a quick ride to dry off some internals and it went away. Is there something else I should I do to avoid washing a certain area or look to dry off or waterproof somewhere? Has anyone else had this happen?

Thx - gang...

Urban Brawlers, Puig Windshield, Kawasaki Sliders (17-18 design), RAM center cell phone mount, Reflective rim tape (add to safety), Motodynamic integrated tail light, Motodynamic fender eliminator, KQR saddlebags (purchased later), USB voltage readout USB, Sargent seat, Ivan's ECU Flash, K&N, Angel GT's (55 rear)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-06-2019, 08:15 PM

I always hand clean mine with Honda spray polish and wax in a aerosol can, you can clean everything on your bike with it, makes it shine like new, that goes for the engine to, my 2012 looks brand new, I never put water on my bikes, I learned that trick from a Honda dealer when I asked how do you get these used bikes looking so good and they showed me, spray it on and wipe it off.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
post #3 of 7 Old 07-06-2019, 11:00 PM

I'd get out the service manual and figure out where the fuel pump relay is and test it a few times.
If you NEVER ride in the rain I suppose Mark59's advice might be OK but if you ride anywhere that might be raining, finding out in your driveway that something is water sensitive is much better than being many miles from home on a "dark and stormy night."
Lag 4 and PNWBackroads like this.

2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Seth Lamm Seat, Puig screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, LEDPerf H7C HID lights, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-07-2019, 12:04 AM

Kenors suggestion makes sense, Mark’s ass is not going to be out riding on a dark stormy night, or stormy day either lol. Also was you soft rinse the area or using a nozzle with pressure.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
post #5 of 7 Old 07-07-2019, 10:47 AM

Did you have the seat off? Maybe if you used a high pressure washer I can see water getting in this box, or the wires that connect to it? If so, there is a relay box in there. It looks so much like the ecu tha tIvan says he gets 1 or 2, per week, from people wanting flashes.

It looks like the ecu, but its the one with three plugs. This pretty much checks/replaces just exactly what Kenors is talking about. Heres an excellent video of how to check it out if you want to.

I would replace it just because its easy and cheap to replace. If you get it, from Kawasaki, its expensive, but they are all over ebay. The same box is used on most all Kawasaki streetbikes. The ones advertised for the "Ninja 300" are the same as we use, and priced much lower than the ones from a "Ninja 1000". Figure 15-20.00 for a nice, new-ish one. Very easy to replace. Probably a good idea to unplug the battery when you do.

This feels like a long shot, but changing this would eliminate that end as a trouble spot. Heres a nice one for 20.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Kawasa...ss!84081!US!-1
post #6 of 7 Old 07-07-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys. I was using a spray nozzle on the hose. The seat was on but it is obvious I got water somewhere where I should not have. I think I will look for the relay and either replace or waterproof it. I may even purchase the relay replacement to have on-hand.

Thank you all for the support and detailed info. I flashed the ECU so I am somewhat familiar with that area of the bike. It was tricky to get the boxes in and out but I am sure I can do it again.
kenors likes this.

Urban Brawlers, Puig Windshield, Kawasaki Sliders (17-18 design), RAM center cell phone mount, Reflective rim tape (add to safety), Motodynamic integrated tail light, Motodynamic fender eliminator, KQR saddlebags (purchased later), USB voltage readout USB, Sargent seat, Ivan's ECU Flash, K&N, Angel GT's (55 rear)
post #7 of 7 Old 07-07-2019, 01:09 PM

Quite likely a shot of silicon grease around the connectors will take care of the issue. Just remember there's no place you can shoot water to with a hose that it won't get to traveling down the road 60 mph in a rainstorm.
PNWBackroads likes this.

2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Seth Lamm Seat, Puig screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, LEDPerf H7C HID lights, Aerostitch Roadcrafter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page