New tune idle surge - Page 5 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 51 Old 04-28-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svtford4x4 View Post
Taking a shot in the dark here. If it was actually due to timing is it possible to pull timing while it's warming up? It sounds like an iacv surge like the old Civics used to have. Maybe there's an idle relearn procedure? Wouldn't hurt to disconnect the battery and see what happens.
You might have a point Svtford, it would not hurt anything, the strange thing about this surge is everybodies bike is not surging the same on Ivans flash as we saw in RC's video versus yours, if everbody had the exact same issue i would say yep thats part of it, but your surge seems real excessive. Maybe Avintage will post a cold start on his bike on here or feed us information about the comparison in surging between your bike ,RC,s and his, like which bike his mimics, then that will give us 3 different bikes to look at. Im going to crank my bike today its been setting for a week and see how it acts.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 51 Old 04-28-2019, 10:58 AM

Dont look at it as if my bike has a perfect idle. When I did the videos, it did, and we could all see that.

All I showed is how my bike idles when I start it up at 48 degrees, or whatever my ambient temp was. Had it been 5 degrees different, either way, you might have seen mine act just like svtfords.. I've seen it before.

The thing is, I know enough about mechanical things to where I wont ride right off with a cold motor. That's never a good idea. I can show you how to kill the engine, when it's cold, with some very simple throttle movements. Stock bike, or flashed bike, the engine is still cold. Thats bad on a high compression, 4 stroke motor. So, the bike sits there, warming up. My idle speed varies a little, and really, who gives a shit? It's gone within 3 minutes.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #43 of 51 Old 04-28-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Can't account for warm weather since it hasn't been warm yet. Snowed yesterday, but it has done it every cold start early and sometimes after it sits for a few mins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 51 Old 04-28-2019, 01:19 PM

It will be interesting to see if your bike acts better once it warms up. If it does'nt, the sensor they use for air temp is easy to change and its cheap.

If that sensor failed, or got oil on it maybe the bike is seeing a incorrect temp on start up? I think its only 20.00 right from kawasaki. Much cheaper on ebay used.

I do wish we had more info on this circuit with regards to our throttle bodies. The manual shows NOTHING.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #45 of 51 Old 04-29-2019, 03:02 PM
pb3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post

If an issue does not actually occur , when the bike is warm, and I'm riding it, I really would not put much energy into solving it. I do wish we had more info about how the warm up circuit works. Specifically that linkage on our throttle bodies. The manual
maybe you already answer this in later posts; just wanted to know what got cut off?
post #46 of 51 Old 04-29-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Spoke with Ivan today. Explained a lot about how these bikes run, every bike is different. I'm going to be sending my ECU back to him. Really knowledgeable guy, great customer support. I'll post back with the results!!
post #47 of 51 Old 04-30-2019, 09:27 AM
57x

My H2 SX flash from vcyclenut does similar, but only on cold start. Mine is about a minute.
post #48 of 51 Old 04-30-2019, 10:01 PM

Good move Svtford, if there is a issue with the flash Ivan will find it. Just curious have you ever checked your voltage.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
post #49 of 51 Old 05-01-2019, 10:55 PM

So is the surging normal or not normal? When I was lurking in riderforums, I have read some reports that theirs were surging during start up as well.
post #50 of 51 Old 05-02-2019, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Don't quote me, by no means a tuner. What I gathered from talking with him. There were a couple factors that cause it. And even from the factory there's a mild fluctuation. The engine runs cooler after the tune and takes a little longer to warm up the coolant which effects the fast idle control. Something with the secondary throttle plates are part of it as well. IIRC they are opening and closing. I had an old Honda that would idle the same way the fast idle thermo valve had to be adjusted and the idle air control valve had to be cleaned, then it idled great. So the long answer is it's not necessarily normal, but it's also not going to hurt anything. It's more of a preference thing.

Still have to send the ECU out, but overall I would still recommend dealing with Ivan. Not many if any people know as much about the n1k or z1000's. Customer support is on point. The block of plates worked great as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page