Front drag - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-06-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Front drag

I've mentioned this before some time back. I installed aftermarket levers and thought they were the problem. Should of checked alot sooner but I completely removed the brake lever and the front wheel dragged the same. I'm asking what should my next step be. Brake's? Right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-07-2019, 10:28 AM

Nothing really pulls the caliper piston back into place. The rubbers seals are about all there is. If they are really dirty it can contribute to their not returning as much as they should.

The pad never really leaves the disc surface. How much is yours dragging? Will your wheel spin around 3-4 times or 1/2 rotation?

Also if your wheel is not installed, perfectly it can cause one side to drag more than the other. It might be slightly bound up. I would test one caliper at a time and see if one drags more than the other. At that point you'll have better information to decide if you want to rebuild your calipers.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-07-2019, 02:08 PM

It might be as simple as your brake fluid is overfilled causing unnecessary pressure, or your caliper pistons not moving properly.
Possible that your rotors are warped but unlikely unless your rotors is no longer "floating" i.e the bobbins are seized which in that case would just need to be cleaned.

Try cleaning your brake caliper and do a thorough flush.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-07-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

It will spin maybe 1 rotation. I removed the calipers they didn't look dirty. I was able to move the pistion back in on both then reinstalled them applied the brake lever a few times. I'm back to the same way

Last edited by Ghost N1K; 04-07-2019 at 02:45 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-07-2019, 04:20 PM

Before you blame the brakes, it would be a good idea to go through the steps, on the video. You can have a perfect brake system, but if the front wheel is not just where it should be, you can get drag. This video is excellent, and it shows just how to do this.

If it still drags, after the video steps, go from there.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...9dWUfGSAfSxwB8
post #6 of 6 Old 04-13-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. They were extremely dirty. Cleaned them real good and the problem is gone. I'm so glad it wasn't something major

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page