Fork clicking / knocking feel on rebound - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-01-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Fork clicking / knocking feel on rebound

Hi folks , my bike got serviced and steering bearings cleaned and lubed . Bike ran good for two days but now I feel a clicking sensation while rebound from the front shock absorber . What do you think must have come loose ? Thanks .Happy new year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-01-2019, 02:30 PM

The steering head bearings are a pain in the ass. You can open them up, lube them, and have a certified master mechanic torque them. You ride away and hit the brakes a few times, and they will loosen up. Not much, but the clicking thing can happen. No big deal, but do get them to fix it as soon as possible.

This guy does a decent job of tightening them.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-01-2019, 11:31 PM

Garage
I'm pretty sure I felt mine do it yesterday and today when I hit the brakes.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-02-2019, 10:43 AM

Its not easy to diagnose, but its easier if you turn the bars sideways and rock the bike back and forth. You'll hear it, and often tiemes feel it.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-02-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Friends I took the bike to Kawasaki and there was a junior technician ; under the fork nut there are two stem nuts ( round with teeth where you can tighten using screw driver /hammer ) . However you are supposed to use a stem nut wrench to loosen that ( after loosening the top stem nut that allows you to turn with a torque wrench ). The two I’m talking about is a set of toothed nuts which you have to see from underside . The top one holds the bottom nut which actually gives the tightness to the steering . A detailed Metis is given under 14-8 in the service manual , but I still don’t understand how to apply 30 nm of torque using the special stem nut wrench
post #6 of 15 Old 01-02-2019, 11:38 AM

Dr Sure....exactly......you found the issue. You cant get the tool in place when the top triple clamp is in place. If you take that off and torque under it, it accomplishes nothing because not all the parts are there. Once the top nut gets tightened, it makes the lower nuts tighter than they were.

Thats why the guy in the video does what he does at about the 5:30 area. You use a screwdriver, tighten the toothed nuts just a little, then tighten the top nut until that clicking is BARELY eliminated....not tight, just eliminated.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-02-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Rcannon what do you understand by this in the Kawasaki manual ? :Settle the bearings in place as follows.
○Tighten the steering stem nut with 65 Nm (6.6 kgfm, 48
ftlb) of torque first, and loosen it a fraction of a turn until it turns lightly. Afterward tighten it again with specified torque using a steering stem nut wrench [A].
Special Tool - Steering Stem Nut Wrench: 57001-1100 Torque - Steering Stem Nut: 30 Nm (3.1 kgfm, 22 ftlb)
•Install the claw washer [A] so that its bent claws [B] faces upward, and engage the bent claws with the grooves of
•steering stem locknut [C].
Hand tighten the steering stem locknut until it contacts
•against the claw washer.
Check if the straight claws [D] of the claw washer aligned with the grooves of the steering stem nut [E].
In case of the claws positioned between the grooves:
•Tighten the steering stem locknut [A] until the straight claws aligned with 3rd grooves [B] of the steering stem nut [C].
○Count the number of groove from the first aligned groove •[D] as shown.
Bend the two straight claws downward into the groove of the steering stem nut.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-02-2019, 02:18 PM

A person can make this complicated, but theres no reason to do so. The manual does a great job of explaining, but gives a poor end result. I would not worry about what the manual says.

Loosen the large, center bolt. Loosen the bolts that hold the triple clamp to the fork leg. You want the triple clamp to move up and down, slightly, and not bind it.

Tighten those toothed nuts 1/4 turn, then tighten triple clamp center bolt. Test. Repeat until there is no more click. Dont go too far, just eliminate the play with the minimum amount of drag.

When you finally have this correct, then tighten the fork leg bolts.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-02-2019, 04:32 PM

I had the same symptom with my 2013. I put a torque wrench on the steering stem nut (top center) and it turned about a half turn before the wrench clicked off. That solved mine. Maybe try that first, then what Rcannon suggested.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
post #10 of 15 Old 01-02-2019, 08:20 PM

Johnny, thats it, and its why it really needs to be done by feel as opposed to the torque settings. You saw that when that upper nut gets tighter, it influences how tight the lower nuts are, and ultimately, how much force is put against the bearings.

The "problem" with doing it the way you did is now that upper triple clamp can be in a bind. Its best to do what you did, then loosen the upper bolts that hold the fork tubes. Those will find their new, slightly lower spot and all is well. I dont see any harm from doing it the way you did, but its probably better to have that triple clamp is a natural position.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page