2017 Ninja 1000 Overhearing - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 08-31-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

2017 Ninja 1000 Overhearing

Hello. New member from Texas! Second time Ninja 1000 owner (had a 2014 and now a 2017). Love the bike up, but not getting to ride at the moment....

I'm having trouble with my 2017 Ninja 1000 ABS overheating. Has 5000 miles or so and about 11 months old. Only mods are slip on exhaust (cats intact). No wrecks or damage, maintained and stored in garage.

Its been in the dealers care since July 3 of this year and looks to be there at least a couple more weeks waiting on parts. My reason for posting is to see If anyone else has had similar problems. I've read the other overheat threads, including the one in this section, but my problem seems more serious.

The bike has always ran hot, 4 bars (or one from top) but it sounds like that is common for 2017 emissions tuning and ambient temperatures in the 90s.

Problem - The bike overheats after about 30 minutes of riding, causing the red overheat warning light to come on and a coolant overflow onto the ground. It overheats even at highway speeds, but it overheats quicker in stop and go.

The fan works fine, no leaks, radiator is clean, and I topped off coolant (along with burping the system) after each overheat episode.

The bike is under warranty so I let the dealership diagnose it. The $150 diagnostic revealed a bad radiator cap. I didn't believe this was the issue and had the tech run a compression test (my though was head gasket). Compression was good and dealer replaced cap under warranty. (Warranty didnt cover the inspection or compression test)

Bike overheated on the 10 mile drive home from the dealer - 75 mph interstate the entire way. Back to dealer.

Dealer now insists it's the thermostat and has replaced that. Further testing revealed that was not the problem either. Now they are replacing the water pump which they said was corroded and that Kawasaki acknowledged corrosion was a problem on 2017s. Parts are backordered and I'm waiting on that now.

I can't find a tech bulletin on the corrosion issue and my concern is that whatever caused this problem will happen again. Anyone else have this corrosion issue or overheating on a 2017?

For the record I think the dealer is just blindly replacing parts and my bet is on some type of blockage in a coolant passage or radiator. But I do not know what would cause a blockage. Prime riding season is coming quick and I'm starting to lose patience after 8 weeks without the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 08-31-2018, 06:51 PM

Next time if it over heats after you leave the dealer melt it down and let them have it back, they should know its fixed before they give it back.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
post #3 of 35 Old 08-31-2018, 07:09 PM

I swear i read another post on this forum when looking to buy my ninja where they found a plastic bag in the coolant system. Suggest they flush the system and keep the fluid to check for foreign materials. I seem to remember in the post the owner spotted the bag fragments not the shop.

Also , not sure on your laws but you should not have to pay anything for troubleshooting the shop does -even if you suggest it (and they agree it is a possible worth while step).

Sorry to hear about your troubles, this is the kind of reason I traded my last bike (not a ninja and not under warranty).
ZRX1100NL likes this.

Current: 2018 Ninja zx 1000 wjf
Past Bikes: vtr250, vfr750f, vtr1000, vfr800, vulcan 900, FJR1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 08-31-2018, 09:01 PM

I remember this thread. https://www.kawasakininja1000.com/fo...ng-issues.html

Not really a happy ending, im afraid. I think it was fixed...maybe...,possibly..sort of thing.
RobF likes this.
post #5 of 35 Old 08-31-2018, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

It was tempting to just let it overheat till it seized but I'm sure Kawi wouldn't cover anything past the initial cause!

I did flush it with water, onto pavement. Nothing crazy but did get a few large flakes of black paint. Don't know what is painted inside the cooling system.

Im going to request the dealer save the old water pump to see it for myself. I bet it looks new.
post #6 of 35 Old 08-31-2018, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
I remember this thread. https://www.kawasakininja1000.com/fo...ng-issues.html

Not really a happy ending, im afraid. I think it was fixed...maybe...,possibly..sort of thing.
I read most of this thread! My bike went from riding at 4 bars to overheating every time I try to test it on the road. So something went from working to not working.
post #7 of 35 Old 08-31-2018, 11:50 PM

Geez..........radiator cap, to thermostat, to water pump.......if that doesn't work....? Whats next ?
New Radiator? Hope the dealer is being honest about it.............
post #8 of 35 Old 09-01-2018, 11:07 AM

You know what sucks about the cooling system? How to repair it.

No technician ever wants to be called a parts changer. The cooling system is a tough category. You cant really see it misbehave, or hear it. A radiator cap is 20.00, and damn near zero labor to change one. How much diagnostic time can you spend on testing a radiator cap?

A broken gear, or damaged spark plug...you hear and see those defective items. With a radiator, you can pressure test. Outside of that, all you see are symptoms...The bike overheats. It's damn difficult to pinpoint a cause, and often times makes more sense to just switch out the cheap components like a cap or thermostat.
post #9 of 35 Old 09-01-2018, 03:53 PM

Gary, those flakes of black material are very unusual and I suspect more of it's blocking the radiator passages. Could this foreign material be coming from the decomposition of rubber hoses? Are the flakes brittle or are they more elastic? Definitely save some for the forensics experts! And except for those black flakes did the coolant look clean and clear?
post #10 of 35 Old 09-01-2018, 04:07 PM

Back in '91 my brand new ZX-7R overheated during a summer trackday at Laguna Seca, it was Don Canet who spotted the burping and he was quick to get me off the circuit. Later, we found debris inside the radiator including metal shavings and...sawdust. Wait, what? The guys at the shop said it looked EXACTLY like a random handful of the stuff on the floor around their drill press! As it turned out, my bike had been in for its previous service on the same day they fired an incompetent mechanic, and that clown was someone I did not want working on my motorcycles! We think it was a parting gift, before the door hit him in the ass. Sad but true!
Ninja Raven likes this.

Last edited by Rickifumi; 09-01-2018 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page