2017 - Overheating issues - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 113 Old 06-05-2018, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy 2017 - Overheating issues

Warning – longish post.

So I went out for first ride of the season (yes - that is lame, but this is not the point of the post).
First cool-ish day we've had here in a couple of weeks (rare May heat wave in southern Ontario) and the ambient temps were 13-14C (roughly 60F).

During the first part of the ride - I thought I noticed the bike running warmer than usual - was doubting myself as this is only the 2nd season with the 2017 (had a 2013 prior with no temperature "bars". Never go to the top, so I put it down to me being a Nervous Nelly.

Well, should have listened to my gut as on my way home, I got stuck behind some slow moving traffic in a 40km/h (25MPH) zone and when I pulled up to a stop sign, the gauge went to the top and the red light came on.
I immediately pulled over and turned the bike off.
Waited for 20 minutes or so, noticed the temps were back down and headed home - luckily it was cool and I was able to the bikes temps down by keeping RPMs down and the ride was across country roads with very few stops.

“Luckily” the dealer where I bought the bike new last spring was on the way and was still open.
I brought it there to see what they could find.
(The factory warranty ended on March 31st. The salesman said they would figure something out with Kawasaki Canada. We'll see.)
Bike only has 6000km (3700 miles) and this was my first ride in 2018.
The only thing that I did between putting it away and riding yesterday was change the oil.
I do have a R&G rad guard on the bike, but I put it on straight away last year and rode all summer/fall with it on and no issues.
I also had the exact same guard on my 2013 for 3 seasons and never had an issue.

So they rode it today and couldn’t replicate the issue. The fan came on as it should when the gauge went to the one second from the top and the temp dropped back down a bar. Also, they indicated that there were no error codes registered by the ECU indicating that it had ever overheated. But it definitely did.
Going to pick the bike up tomorrow – but to be honest, not sure that I trust it not happening again.
I have this bike to go for 4-5 hour rides and week long trips.
Not being able to rely on it is not going to work for me.
Feeling pretty stranded and bummed out right now…

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 Old 06-05-2018, 08:27 PM

Very strange?? Did the fan come on when it was overheating?

Maybe there was a little air in the system after sitting for so long? Definitely not something that is common on the N1K. I ride mine in traffic and hot temps all the time; never even comes close to overheating.
post #3 of 113 Old 06-05-2018, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciano136 View Post

Maybe there was a little air in the system after sitting for so long? Definitely not something that is common on the N1K. I ride mine in traffic and hot temps all the time; never even comes close to overheating.
To be honest, when it happened, I pulled over immediately and shut the bike off. I wear earplugs, so I didn't hear anything.
Do our fans keep running even with the ignition off?
If so, I don't think it was running.
And yet later at the dealership I let it run when I got there, quickly took my helmet off and earplugs out and listened for the fan which did come on after the temp went up 1 bar.
So maybe it was a one-off glitch? I doubt it, but one can hope.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 113 Old 06-05-2018, 09:19 PM

I have the same year bike as you do, with the same miles from me riding it last year. Just started taking mine out for its second season. I too only did an oil change when I winterized it. I havent had any of the issues you are having. The bike definitely gets hot quick when at a traffic light, it will reach the second from the top bar and I hear the fans kick on then. Once the fans kick on it will drop a couple of bars quickly. The fan will also shut off immediately once the ignition is turned off.
post #5 of 113 Old 06-05-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Tom.
That sounds about right. It seems as though the fan didn't turn on when it was supposed to on my ride, but is doing so now.
I'll have to keep a close eye on it, but without knowing why it happened I'll need to stay close to home.

Rob
tford and ZRX1100NL like this.
post #6 of 113 Old 06-05-2018, 10:05 PM

I'd check the connector to the fan to make sure it's properly plugged in; also double check the wires. Doubt it's anything serious.
rcannon409 likes this.
post #7 of 113 Old 06-06-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciano136 View Post

My first thought was a little air in the system also. Burp it and be on your way.
post #8 of 113 Old 06-06-2018, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
My first thought was a little air in the system also. Burp it and be on your way.
How do you burp the cooling system?
(seriously - I may suggest this to the dealership)

Thanks!

Rob
post #9 of 113 Old 06-06-2018, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I was going to suggest checking the coolant level, but I'm assuming that's already been done (no one has mentioned it). Otherwise yeah, can you hear the fan kicking in? I'm interested in hearing what the issue is. Could also be a sticky thermostat but that would seem odd for a brand new bike.
ZRX1100NL likes this.

From the point of ignition to the final drive
The point of the journey is not to arrive
-----------------------------------------------
Please excuse my verbosity
post #10 of 113 Old 06-06-2018, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Coolant level was fine/normal. I don't recall hearing the fan kick in when the bike overheated, but it has definitely kicked in since the issue happened.
The tech mentioned that if the thermostat was stuck, the symptoms would be more extreme.
The bike was running warmer than I recall it running last year even before the incident...so can the thermostat be stuck "in the middle" or only open or closed?
Rob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in