OBDII Tool for Diagnostic Port? - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By rcannon409
  • 1 Post By Chrispy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-18-2020, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OBDII Tool for Diagnostic Port?

I did some searches and did not come up with much. Does anybody have experience with OBD Tool that connects to the Kawasaki diagnostic port? I see that Healtech has one that supposedly works for many Kawi models, including the Ninja 1000, up to 2019.

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/obd/

It's about $230.

Then of course there are the ebay knock offs that are supposed clones that comes with some kind of software too.

I'm so used to working with OBDII tools like Torque (generic), TuneECU, DealerTool (Triumph) and GS911 (BMW), I'd like to have something similar with the Ninja 1000.

What say ye?

'18 Ninja 1000, '18 Street Triple R, '18 KLX250S, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '05 GSXR600 (track)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-18-2020, 06:29 PM

A question for your question. Ive always found those obd sensors to be wildly disappointing because they would not allow do anything once you had the info, other than delete the code, face Mecca, and hope it doesnt return.

What about the woolich flash kit? Not that you are flashing, but I believe they have a way to read codes with their equipment? They also have a scanner thats cheap.....https://www.woolichracing.com/produc...x#productTable
Volfy likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-18-2020, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the link. Interesting product line. I'll do some digging around to see if they have what I'd like.

Ideally, I'd like to use it to make maintenance tasks like balancing throttle bodies and bleeding ABS brakes easier. That's what other OBD tools lets me do on other bikes I've had. I remember TuneECU used to let me calibrate the speedometer to correct for sprocket changes. That would be real nice on the '17+ bikes with IMU, but... I highly doubt any tool offers that right now.

Short of that, even just being able to see live data feed and read/clear codes is of good value, as long as I don't have to spend $100's just to have that. I got used to having that ability, so not having it just feels kinda... blind.

And no, I'm not too interested in flashing the ECU. Not unless there is good reason(s) for it.

'18 Ninja 1000, '18 Street Triple R, '18 KLX250S, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '05 GSXR600 (track)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-19-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
Ideally, I'd like to use it to make maintenance tasks like balancing throttle bodies and bleeding ABS brakes easier.

I could be wrong on the latest N1K models but I'm pretty sure earlier models don't have sufficiently advanced throttle bodies or ABS units to do this.
rcannon409 likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-19-2020, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
I could be wrong on the latest N1K models but I'm pretty sure earlier models don't have sufficiently advanced throttle bodies or ABS units to do this.
Actually, it's mostly a software exercise.

For balancing throttle bodies, it just needs to display individual cylinder vacuum readings. The synch adjustments is still done manually, as you would when balancing with old style mechanical vacuum gauges. Example:

For bleeding ABS, it just requires the software to issue commands to the ABS controller to open up the proper valves to bleed passages that would otherwise be blocked behind closed valves. Example:

Neither is all that difficult to implement for any of these OBD tools that have software that reads engine data from and writes to the diagnostic port.

post #6 of 8 Old 02-19-2020, 06:16 PM

Take a look at how the vacuum sensors are plumbed and you'll see the issue with getting readings per cylinder. As for the ABS, it's possible if the software can get to it.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-19-2020, 08:37 PM

The 2017 manual has the procedure for the throttle body sync. It's the same as what we have always had. Vacuum gauges and such. Those throttle bodies appear identical to the older bikes. There are no extra sensors or wiring. If that sync could be done thought the obd port, I think that's the procedure they would show as the tool would be cheaper and easier than good vacuum gauges.

Remember when Tyrmeltr had his throttle body issue? If that info was in the obd port, it would have been way more in depth than what he got. The 2020 ride by wire system will have this ability, I'm sure, but I dont think it's there for the older bikes.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-19-2020, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You might be right about only TBW bikes having that ability. Although, I'm not 100% certain that Bonnie has TBW.

I know healtech sells a throttle body synch module that has 4 vacuum hoses for the N1k up to '19, so chances are slim that the throttle bodies have built in vacuum sensors. Oh well. I still have my trust old vacuum gauges, but boy... once you get spoiled being able to do it digitally, having to do it the traditional way starts to feel like a chore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page