R.i.p. Mcn - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 02-08-2020, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy R.i.p. Mcn

Sad to say that there will never be an MCN (Motorcycle Consumer News) review of the 2020 Ninja. As of February 1st it's shut down.
Aside from losing 10 issues already paid for the saddest part is that this is virtually the only USA magazine left that does complete, honest, tested bike reviews. Although they've scaled down a bit, it was the one place you could still get actual weights, hp, torque, ergonomic measurements etc. as well as riding opinions on a bike.
Another one bites the dust.

2018 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Sargent Seat, Puig/Vstream screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-08-2020, 09:38 AM

I didnt expect that. That was a good magazine. They were like a Consumer Reports. They really tested bikes, dyno'ed them, and weighed them. Even the russian guy is pissed!
RobF likes this.
post #3 of 26 Old 02-08-2020, 03:29 PM

Garage
MCN (ours, not the Brit version) is one of my favorite mags. Love their review spec sheet, which is great for comparing like bikes. When they list curb weight, for example, they don't just quote mfr numbers. They actually weight their test bike.

I have to admit I let my subscription lapse. This was after a couple of other moto rags shafted me by offering long-term renewal at very attractive rates, only to close up shop a few months later. I got the feeling they knew they were going down and just tried to milk long-time subscribers like me for some get-away cash. After that, I just let all my mag subscriptions expire. Sad, but it was inevitable.

'18 Ninja 1000, '18 Street Triple R, '18 KLX250S, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '05 GSXR600 (track)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 02-08-2020, 03:57 PM

I stopped subscribing after they had a feature on clutch replacement. They guy went through all the necessary steps, but never bothered to mention stack height.

It doesnt take much to kill a magazine, anymore. If you look at Dirt Bike magazine, or Motocross action, they are both as thick, or thicker than they ever have been. Both of them know who they are writing for and I think MCn lost site of that.
post #5 of 26 Old 02-08-2020, 05:19 PM

The only one I really miss is Sport Rider.

Both Cycle World and Motorcyclist became some sort of hipster crap. I don't subscribe anymore. Then Motorcyclist went digital only and it's just Cycle World now, but they have this new format that is all empty space and targeting hipster cafe racer bikes. Screw that.
rcannon409 and kenors like this.
post #6 of 26 Old 02-08-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post

Both Cycle World and Motorcyclist became some sort of hipster crap. I don't subscribe anymore. Then Motorcyclist went digital only and it's just Cycle World now, but they have this new format that is all empty space and targeting hipster cafe racer bikes. Screw that.
I agree
post #7 of 26 Old 02-08-2020, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I use to get them all. The biggest thing I miss from CW (formerly Cycle) is Kevin Cameron articles. I also liked Nick Ienatsch. I picked up a CW in the break room of our local Honda dealer last summer and thumbed through it. I swear, 15-20 minutes and I read every bit of verbiage in it except for the ads. Most of that was KC's TDC article. I keep telling myself the format changes are not meant for me (old and oth) but are there to attract younger motorcyclists (that's a good thing!) but it's like they're meant for break rooms and coffee tables. Just something to thumb through while you're stuck waiting for something else to happen. Rider still has an occasional decent review but they long ago abandoned technical specs. All you get are vague rider reports.
At least there's a ton of KC writings on the web.

2018 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Sargent Seat, Puig/Vstream screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
post #8 of 26 Old 02-09-2020, 01:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
Biggest loss there is the recommended suspension settings. That was the first thing I'd look up when I got a new or new-to-me bike. I'd set static sag to my own weight and click the rest per their numbers, which are rarely too far off what work best for me. The database is still online, but no new entries for many years now.

The one author I miss the most is Keith Code. IIRC, he had his article in SR.

'18 Ninja 1000, '18 Street Triple R, '18 KLX250S, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '05 GSXR600 (track)
post #9 of 26 Old 02-09-2020, 10:55 AM

Levin Cameron still does an article in the uk magazine, "Motorcycle Sport and Leisure" Its a decent magazine. I think it's only 3.99 to download.

His articles are just like we saw in the american magazines. Always interesting.
post #10 of 26 Old 02-10-2020, 08:34 AM

The motorcycle industry took a huge hit as a result of the 2008 economic meltdown. That is especially true in the U.S. where motorcycles are mainly used as a hobby. The downfall of credible publications is a by product of that. That and the advent of the internet and You Tube. But Iím not into reading random You Tube ride reviews from people who I have never heard of. I want to read full tests of motorcycles by known publications that do enough testing that we can compare how they feel about a bike against their history of rating other bikes.

Itís the same reason that when I weigh in on an opinion I often state how long Iíve been riding and that I have racing experience. Some people probably think Iím bragging (maybe a little &#128513, but itís to give credibility to my opinions.

This is also one of the reasons that I hope forums like this one continue to flourish. There are enough regular members here whose opinion I value because of our history together.
rcannon409 and kenors like this.

Jim
2017 FJR1300ES, 2017 Superduke GT, 2012 1199 Panigale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page