Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

Bring on the left-hand curves!!!

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  CRFan1 
#1 ·
After nearly 12 years of riding, I FINALLY figured out left-hand curves today!!!

I've had a tendency to hug the centerline on left-hand curves. Which is a bad thing for a lot of reasons.
Well, today it hit me: the bike tends to go where you look, right? (Yes, I teach this stuff.) I made a real effort on the lefts to focus on the outside of the curve; if the curve had chevrons, that was the perfect place to look. Then, I'll be darned, I managed to ride the outside!!! Wow, I have a new skill to practice! Bring on the lefts!!!!!

See less See more
Reactions: RobF and rcannon409
#2 ·
I would much rather have to negotiate 4000 left turns before making one right turn. The right turn never feels correct, or natural.

Does this have anything to do with being right, or left handed?

#4 ·
I would much rather have to negotiate 4000 left turns before making one right turn. The right turn never feels correct, or natural.

Does this have anything to do with being right, or left handed?

I dunno--are you right- or left-handed??:wink:

#3 ·
My theory is right vs. left hand drive cars. Better visibility to one side, so more confidence. I had the issue in both cars and bikes. I've practiced a lot to overcome, and seem to wear my tires more evenly now. One track here is mostly right hand turns, running clockwise. It has helped me.

#5 ·
Having a preference for rights, I submit that it's a throttle issue. I have a green Crampbuster which allows me to barely have my hands on the bars, so I can just rest my wrist on that to control the throttle. It's a lot easier in rights. Also the crown of the road makes rights a lot easier.

But slow, tight turns? Left, definitely. Again, I think it's the throttle. Because it's easier to goose it going right, the tendency may be to go a little fast and blow the turn. Plus, it feels a little cramped. Bottom line is the perception of having less control.

#6 ·
I am right handed and would much rather turn left. I wonder if we are all this way? I'll take left, every time...slow, medium or fast. I very much regret not practicing g the wrong g way slides more than I did. If you watch the supercross races, they almost always start with the first turn as a left. They will do anything to avoid a first turn right. Left is preferred so it's easier to control the rear brake.

You could see this with everyone when we were able to ride on the salt flats. There was no trail, no path, no bumps, no direction. As you rode on to them, it was 100% open. Go any direction you want to for the next 40 miles.

It was about a 50/50 split for right or left and it was difficult to slide the bike when you were not turning in the direction you prefered. Forcing the issue was like having to write an essay with my left hand.

#8 ·
I started a near identical thread last year on a different forum. I much prefer right-hand turns and have always struggled with left-handers. For me, left-hand turns on public roads feel (relatively speaking) narrow and dangerous. When you are leaning into a good left-hander, your head is toward the on-coming traffic and your tires are toward the gravel-strewn shoulder -- both of which raise my stress levels. When making a right-hand turn, everything is peachy: your tires are in the middle of quality pavement and your body is far from the oncoming traffic. The relative disparity in anxiety levels leads me to flub many more of my lines when turning left, which at some point leads to a real difference in proficiency.

#12 ·
Try looking at the chevrons and see what happens!

#10 ·
Left-Right

I am ambidextrous, i think, ping pong left handed, tennis right handed, basketball left handed, golf right-handed, and so forth. I enjoy left and right turns on the bike. I think the throttle side plays a role in the comfort of control moving through a turn. I know on-coming traffic direction should influence comfort control on traveled roads. It seems the throttle plays a more learned action during a right turn, perhaps its only perception, never the less more concentration seems to be required, which in my mind means more practice is needed to acquire comfort. Eye sight does play a role, dominant eye thing I think. I guess we all have our explanations............

#13 ·
My theory is clearly blown. I'm mostly right handed other than soccer, which I play left wing (way too many years ago). I'm left foot on the skateboard, but can switch easily. I like left turns on bikes. Turn 2 at Thunderhill. Drop your left knee on the ground for what seems like an eternal left turn. Awesome.

#15 ·
Is it weird to not have a preference, as to left or right?
As for dislikes.... I dont like a crowned apex with a descending exit or any exit I cant see through.

#16 ·
Mark one, that's probably true. I'll have to work on this during this riding season.

Avintage, that would be strange, for me. I cant imagine feeling the same about left/right. Mark one, I think you are correct as its bot very comfortable for me to bot have easy access to the rear brake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.