Transmission issues? - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-11-2020, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Transmission issues?

Does this bike have transmission issues? The UK based magazine, "Ride" has a feature on the z1000sx. In this article they tell us everything we already know about this bike. Nothing new. Nothing you couldn't learn in a five minute forum visit. This is the March 2020 issue. They dont even mention an ecu reflash.

They do warn owners about an issue with 4th gear and they do specify "early bikes".

I'm not sure I agree. I know we have had a few people talk about transmission damage. One just recently, in fact. I know 2 of the three issues I saw, on rider forum were quick shifter related. I also remember one issue where the owner had crashed.

I know we do t see everything, but between this forum and the z1000 forum, I dont think we've seen enough evidence to say this bike has transmission issues, overall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-12-2020, 01:11 AM

Garage
March 2020?
rcannon409 likes this.

Ride hard, ride safe.

2018 Ninja 1000
R&G Frame Sliders
R&G Engine/Clutch Cover
K&N Air filter
De-cat and Y link Pipe
SP Engineering Demon Slip-ons
Rear grab rail delete
Smart Moto Pair Valve Eliminator and Block Off plates
post #3 of 17 Old 01-12-2020, 01:27 AM

This popped up on the radar screen: https://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn-m...-1000-se-2019/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-12-2020, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

It really is March of 2020. They have always been several months ahead of reality.

Rikifumi, I wonder how the 2020 ninja will be with it's quickshifter? That's scary when a magazine bike has issues. Figure they are still hand picked and checked over 100%...maybe?
agurudev likes this.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-13-2020, 12:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
It really is March of 2020. They have always been several months ahead of reality.

Rikifumi, I wonder how the 2020 ninja will be with it's quickshifter? That's scary when a magazine bike has issues. Figure they are still hand picked and checked over 100%...maybe?
Haha, that's funny. Why would they even release magazines with a timeline 2 months ahead? Wonder how it helps them?

Ride hard, ride safe.

2018 Ninja 1000
R&G Frame Sliders
R&G Engine/Clutch Cover
K&N Air filter
De-cat and Y link Pipe
SP Engineering Demon Slip-ons
Rear grab rail delete
Smart Moto Pair Valve Eliminator and Block Off plates
post #6 of 17 Old 01-13-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
Does this bike have transmission issues? The UK based magazine, "Ride" has a feature on the z1000sx. In this article they tell us everything we already know about this bike. Nothing new. Nothing you couldn't learn in a five minute forum visit. This is the March 2020 issue. They dont even mention an ecu reflash.

They do warn owners about an issue with 4th gear and they do specify "early bikes".

I'm not sure I agree. I know we have had a few people talk about transmission damage. One just recently, in fact. I know 2 of the three issues I saw, on rider forum were quick shifter related. I also remember one issue where the owner had crashed.

I know we do t see everything, but between this forum and the z1000 forum, I dont think we've seen enough evidence to say this bike has transmission issues, overall.
the magazine claims the transmission problem is with the early bikes meaning early ninjas or early release 2020 bikes?
post #7 of 17 Old 01-13-2020, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Ozzy, they dont get any more specific than saying, "early bikes". I believe they are talking 11..12....13 year early as the 2020 bike isnt even available yet. Even if they had a 2020, they would have very little experience with it.

I believe the dates are ahead of reality because of the news stands, or magazine stores that were popular over the past years, but not so much anymore. The date being so far ahead means the paper version could sit there for 3 months and never look out of date.
agurudev likes this.

Last edited by rcannon409; 01-13-2020 at 09:26 AM.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-13-2020, 09:39 AM

I vaguely recall someone reporting problems with their bike not staying in fourth gear, and a photo of a worn shift fork.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
post #9 of 17 Old 01-13-2020, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

The exact words are:

The number one issue is gearbox wear. Its not a problem affecting many bikes. There was no official recall, but its significant enough to mention. First symptoms are false neutrals (Usually 4th to 5th), then hesitation, or skipping, under acceleration, then finally, refusing to go into gear. The only fix is dropping the engine and fitting a new gearbox, which is predictably expensive.

Then, in the closing section it says "Not so good...Heavy steering, potentially delicate transmission on early bikes."
post #10 of 17 Old 01-13-2020, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the information rcannon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page