Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

2017 Ninja 1000ABS Sprocket Change A No Go?

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  bigthaw 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I've searched the forums and see lots of discussion regarding front and rear sprocket changes to lower cruising rpm around 80mph. I'm only posting this - sorry if this has been covered and I can't find the thread - as I've seen issues with 2017 or newer changes.

I also remember reading somewhere that on a 2017 or newer 1000 a front sprocket change made the ECU wacky - only a rear change to 39t could be done.

Does anyone have experience in this? I've also seen a suggestion of a change to 55 series rear - is that for cornering or lower RPMs? I've had the bike about 6 months and commute almost daily - most at 70+ mph.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom! Ride Safe!

#2 ·
The 55 series rear tire will make a noiticeable improvement in the way the bike turns into a corner. Handling will become more neutral and you will not have to use as much pressure at the bars to hold a line through a turn. There is absolutely no negative to switching to the 19/55 rear. Why they still sell this bike with the 50 rear is beyond me.

There is a speed sensor at the front sprocket and I believe the information is fed into the ECU. If my understanding is correct, changing the front sprocket modifies the rpm's read by the sensor and can cause a code. I have a 2013 so we should probably let those with 2017 and newer bikes chime in on the sprocket change for a more definitive answer.

#3 ·
Hey, never done the sprocket change but did not go down that route as I have read that it does indeed cause issues. There are a couple of threads on the same here already.

I have done the 55 profile tyre though and just like anyone else who did, I would highly recommend it. Allows the bike to turn in more quickly and also holds the line through a long sweeping corner, both of which were issues for me with the old worn out 50 profile tyre. I am on the Pirelli Angel GT.

Reactions: Ninja_1000
#4 ·
Thanks for the input - I've seen so much about going to 55 series that's going to happen when time for new rubber. Would like to go to the 39t sprocket as well. I spend 75% of my time at 70-80mph on daily commute. Thanks - ride safe!

#5 ·
The 55 series rear tire does indeed make a big difference in handling AND it will get you to within 1 mph of your true speed as shown by your speedometer. Do that first before you switch sprockets because it gives you the most performance improvement. The 2017+ N1k's are pretty smooth at 70-75 mph and the engine is pretty relaxed. It also gives you the best low and midrange response while still getting nearly 50 mpg mixed highway/city.

Try changing to gel grips if you're feeling more vibes at the bars. Thicker, sport-touring boots also helps. Also, try riding someone's 600 super sport and compare to your N1k. That's when you know the N1k gearing is pretty "tall". LOL!

#6 ·
I think a large part of my wanting to lower RPMs comes from years on V-Twin cruisers with long 5th and 6th gears. It's not uncomfortable at all now - just looking at alternatives. The 55 series is a done deal next tire change. Thanks!

#7 ·
I get it. I also owned big VTwins years ago. Had a Buell XB12R for years. It had a very soothing, low RPM beat to it at highway speeds and I really liked that. It felt really relaxed. Later I went to a CBR600RR. I remember the first time I rode that on the freeway at 75-80 mph. I swore up and down there was something wrong because I was looking for a 7th gear when I was already in 6th gear. It was 7k RPM at 75! Not only that, the engine revs only dropped 500 RPM with each gear! Going from my VTwin to the 600 was like going from a Nascar racer to a Formula 1 car! High revs, F1 sounds, fast gear changes, the works! Took a bit of getting used to.

That's why the Ninja's under 6k RPM at 75 mph to me is "relaxed". And when I crack the throttle on the N1k at 75 mph and it surges forward like I lit the afterburner.....I'll take that all day! The mid-range of the N1k is also incredible. People talk about how Vtwins have great midrange....they do but the N1k midrange and its sense of urgency easily beats most Vtwins. I don't want to lose that with a taller gear.

#8 ·
Dont believe anyone has had luck with the sprocket change yet on a 17 and newer. Cant recall anyone doing just a 40 rear sprocket though. As for 16 and earlier though this bikes mid range is great and can easily handle a 39t.

#9 ·
This photo was released by ktm when it launched the cornering g abs system. Eventually, most everyone else has it, including the newer Ninja 1000's

Based on what this system is monitoring, I'm sure theres a small range figured in, for tire wear, but it cant be a good idea to mess with very much.

Attachments

#12 ·
writing this just in case newbies or anyone is looking for correct info on this....
on my 2017 N1K SX : I have a 39T rear tooth sprocket but kept the 190 50 rear tire...all good no codes ...very satisfied,
I kept the 50 rear tire because the 55 is higher profile thus tilting me more forward and putting more pressure on my wrists and shoulders, a no go for me...

Reactions: 2023 1000sx
#16 ·
UPDATE....7/2023......:***see below....:
Just returned from a 2000 mile trip up to the Blue Ridge Mountains...
KTRAC traction control flashing intermittently: the triangle
I am assuming its the 39T rear sprocket causing the flashing triangle.
I have a full exhaust system Black Widow
190 50 stock size rear tire.
NOT going back to rear stock sprocket;41 Tooth...hate that stock gearing, too fidgety , nervous, too high rpm.
cruised many hours at 5800 rpm at 87-88 mph....great.
just going to let the triangle lite go on off intermittent...been riding like this for the last 3-4000 plus miles...
really don't know how this affects the KTRAC operation???....?
The ABS system is flawless, love this gearing, 70% of my riding is above 70 mph

#14 ·
have'nt noticed any change, but always on setting 1....going up to the mountains in a few days, about 2k miles by the time i get back...
should i be looking for a change???

#15 ·
That's the thing with the sprocket change. We don't really have specifics on how the traction control operates, in the first place, other than the obvious stuff in the manual.

With that in mind, we know even less about what tire size changes and sprocket changes do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.