Obsessing Over Tires - Page 3 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 Old 12-23-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoloQuest View Post
Yeah, the Q3+ were a bitch on the small Ninja 400 wheels. It made me think of buying a No-Mar Tire Changer. I still might because it always seems to be a bitch of a job, just sometimes worse than others.

https://www.nomartirechanger.com/Cla...tc-classic.htm

Is that why it took the shop TWO AND A HALF HOURS to put the new Q3+s on my N300??

2017 NINJA 300(0) ABS KRT ("Sheldon")
2015 green N1K (Is there any other color?? Much-loved and missed...)
2013 VW Beetle TDI 6spd convertible ("Bug")

Someday I hope to be the rider that my bike deserves.

ATGATT: Because the laws of physics couldn't care less

All the worry in the world doesn't prevent death. It prevents life.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 Old 12-23-2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCL View Post
Replacing tires every 3k miles kind of sucks. Replacing every 2k miles sucks more.
My husband complains that I have to replace mine every 6K miles! At least I pay for them with my earnings from teaching motorcycle classes so he can't complain TOO much.
Ninja Raven likes this.

post #23 of 44 Old 12-23-2019, 12:59 AM
57x

This season I'm trying high end semi-race tires on my track bike. I'm an average B group rider, so if these act as advertised, they are as much as I need. I had a super nice tire machine that I recently sold to a motorcycle shop near me. I just didn't want to drag that heavy thing to Texas. While I'm still here, he lets me come in and change my own tires on my old machine. So nice. I'm a Bridgestone guy, so I bought a set of RS10s. Damn, I thought Q3+ tires were hard to install. It nearly broke the machine trying to get those damn things on.

I'm sick of tire warmers at the track. It makes me drag my generator out there. I have to worry about it being stolen overnight if I stay at a hotel. I've had bad luck with tire warmers burning through, nearly one set per year. I hope these tires work as much as people say. Soooooo much easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 44 Old 12-23-2019, 06:18 PM

Worse than q3? I was finally able to get mine on, but setting the bead was scary. I wished for one of those cages like they used back in the split rim days.

Maybe they are a good idea for a streetbike? I'll bet they stay in place if a person had a flat?
post #25 of 44 Old 12-23-2019, 08:55 PM
57x

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
Worse than q3? I was finally able to get mine on, but setting the bead was scary. I wished for one of those cages like they used back in the split rim days.

Maybe they are a good idea for a streetbike? I'll bet they stay in place if a person had a flat?
The RS10s are classified as street tires, and sold through retailers, not the race tire guys. It is Bridgestone's version of the Q4.
post #26 of 44 Old 12-24-2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post

My husband's 1930 Chevy truck (aka "The Money Pit") has split rim wheels. I was in talking to the local tire guy and mentioned it, and he told me how dangerous they are. My husband had originally planned to put new tires on it himself, but, thank heavens, I managed to convince him to let the pros do it.

post #27 of 44 Old 12-24-2019, 09:20 AM

When I was a kid, there were all kinds of stories about the guy who got his head chopped off, from split rim. No idea how true they were, but it looked possible, for sure.

I remember by 1980, none of the shops wanted to sell him new tires without eliminating the split rim.
post #28 of 44 Old 12-25-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57x View Post

I'm sick of tire warmers at the track. It makes me drag my generator out there. I have to worry about it being stolen overnight if I stay at a hotel. I've had bad luck with tire warmers burning through, nearly one set per year. I hope these tires work as much as people say. Soooooo much easier.
I havenít been to the track (yet) so asking out of curiosity - how essential are tyre warmers for non-competition track riding? I assume one would not have to go for timed laps the moment you get on to the track from the pits, no? Canít one just do some hard acceleration and hard braking in the out-lap to get the required temperature into the tyres? I understand in professional level racing you need to be on it right from the start but on non-professional track days is it really essential to use tyre warmers?

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
G&G Moto2 exhaust cans + Akrapovic exhaust header
Rapid Bike Evo fuel controller + YouTune
BMC filter
Traxxion Dynamics front forks kit + Penske shock
Hyperpro RSC Steering Damper
Rotobox Carbon Fibre 300ST Wheels
Brembo 19RCS Corsa Corta master cylinder
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Baja S2 Pro auxiliary lights
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard
post #29 of 44 Old 12-25-2019, 01:01 PM
57x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikram View Post
Quote:

I haven’t been to the track (yet) so asking out of curiosity - how essential are tyre warmers for non-competition track riding? I assume one would not have to go for timed laps the moment you get on to the track from the pits, no? Can’t one just do some hard acceleration and hard braking in the out-lap to get the required temperature into the tyres? I understand in professional level racing you need to be on it right from the start but on non-professional track days is it really essential to use tyre warmers?
Cold race tires are like riding on ice, especially on a cold morning. I'm not fast, but always use tire warmers with race tires. Even with tire warmers I still take it easy on the first lap. It's why I'm going to tires called street but are closer to race tires. They have some traction cold, and don't take much to get warm. The down side of these tires is they don't have quite as much grip. I love brakes more than acceleration. I have quite high end brakes with Brembo GP4-RR calipers and 330mm Braketech iron rotors. It is very common for me to have my back tire up as I approach tight corners. I'll have to see if these street oriented race tires can tolerate this.

There is a kid out here that runs in Club racing and Wera. He is on a Ninja 400 and runs 1:55 at Thunder Hill and runs Q3+ tires. 2:00 is considered very fast at that track. If he can beat that time on Q3+ tires I should be fine. The only difference is there is no reason for him to have brakes, as he never uses them. Cast iron balls!
post #30 of 44 Old 12-25-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikram View Post
Quote:

I haven’t been to the track (yet) so asking out of curiosity - how essential are tyre warmers for non-competition track riding? I assume one would not have to go for timed laps the moment you get on to the track from the pits, no? Can’t one just do some hard acceleration and hard braking in the out-lap to get the required temperature into the tyres? I understand in professional level racing you need to be on it right from the start but on non-professional track days is it really essential to use tyre warmers?
You're right. There is no need for tire warmers when running street tires and running a chill pace for the first lap or two. If it's not a timed race where time means something, there is no NEED for it. I street ride with guys that use race tires and they obviously don't carry around tire warmers so that at every stop they have the tires kept warm. They let the tires warm up. However, one guy I know started off too hard and low sided in a turn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page