insurance cost - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-18-2019, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

insurance cost

I really want to get rid of my goldwing and as a 57 year old rider have a lighter bike to have touring times on but not a beast to navigate around on. I saw the post on insurance and thought before I commit I better call progressive and see what the deal is. Yes person in another thread I am one on thos eold safe riders with a fat belly that actually rides safe had to say it. Anyway you guys are right progressive rates this bike exactly the same as the zx10RR. This is a deal breaker for me am not spending a 1000 dollars are year to insure something at my age should be 500 max. My Goldwing which would cost far more to repair if I had an accident is 260 per year with insanely good coverage. Are their any companies out there that have figured out this isn't the kill your self crotch rocket?

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 12:27 AM

Will be watching this thread with great interest...my plan is to pick up a 2020 Ninja 1000SX in the Spring of next year to replace my '16 FJR1300, but I'm not about to pay anything near $1000/yr. Right now my insurance (54 years old, spotless driving record) for my FJR is around $350/yr via Safeco (one of the few companies that would rate it a sport-TOURER rather than a SPORT tourer)....I was prepared of course to have it go up, but was expecting around $500/yr. Anything much beyond that will make me question my decision.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 02:05 AM

I'm 52 and have been riding for around 28 years. I just purchased a 2019 N1K and before that had a Speed Triple. I had full coverage on the Speed Triple with Geico which cost around $400 a year. For the same coverage, it now costs about $1200 a year. I shopped around and some like Progressive were more. The best quote that I can get is Allstate for $700 a year. I live in Southern California.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 06:59 AM

Nationwide was decent, for me, as was AMIG. I could not get a decent rate from anyone else. Its still more expensive that the bikes they call "touring" bikes, like my concours 14 or FJR.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 08:18 AM

I pay 248 dollars for six months on my 2013 Ninja 1000. That is for a 58 year old rider with a clean driving record, and discounts for having all my vehicles, home, umbrella policy etc. with State Farm. In my opinion that is pretty high. By comparison I have a 2019 Tracer 900 GT which is 189 dollars for six months for the same coverage.

During the winter months I suspend my insurance which saves quite a bit of money, then when I am ready to ride in the spring a quick phone call reactivates the policy.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
post #6 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 08:26 AM

I'm 48 pay $27.60/month with State Farm. That's full coverage as I'm financing the bike. I also have a truck and boat insured by them as well.

2015 Ninja 1000-Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Carbon Grey, Evotech Tidy Tail, Puig Windscreen (light smoke), Pirelli Angel GTs (190/55 rear), Sargent Seat, Kawasaki Hard Bags, Throttlemeister Throttle Lock Bar Ends
post #7 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

I will do some checking around I'm in Colorado which should be middle of the road for rates I would think. Its ridiculous what they want for safe riders in their 50s. Thanks for the input If I find out anything I will post.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 10:49 AM

I switched from Progressive to Nationwide when I bought my N1K. IIRC, Progressive wanted somewhere around $1500/yr, full coverage, 50-something female, spotless driver record AND RiderCoach. I think Nationwide had come in around $500, with a $1000 deductable, and then dropped to $350-ish after the first year. I elected to drop my deductible to $500, and I think my last bill for that bike was $438. I'm in the Missouri Ozarks.

I will add that Nationwide truly was "on my side" when I totaled my bike. The adjuster who got stuck with dealing with me and all my farkles was AWESOME!!! He got me enough out of my N1K to pay off the loan and buy a 2017 NINJA 300 KRT outright. And the adjuster who dealt with the personal injury side of the other party (the crash was deemed my fault) didn't let their ambulance-chaser attorney push her around. They wanted an ungodly amount of money which would have been over my limits. It was completely crazy, given that it was an N1K vs a Honda Pilot, for crying out loud! Good grief, I high-sided and ended up with two small bruises, a stiff neck (Thanks Arai and Motoport!), and a totaled bike. There's NO WAY they were hurt that bad!!! Well, she got them down to well within my limits, paying their expenses and a little bit for their "pain and suffering". The point here is that when choosing an insurance company, there's more than just the premium amount to consider. My N300 is insured with Nationwide, and I expect to be a customer for good.

2017 NINJA 300(0) ABS KRT ("Sheldon")
2015 green N1K (Is there any other color?? Much-loved and missed...)
2013 VW Beetle TDI 6spd convertible ("Bug")

Someday I hope to be the rider that my bike deserves.

ATGATT: Because the laws of physics couldn't care less

All the worry in the world doesn't prevent death. It prevents life.

Last edited by BAZININJA; 11-19-2019 at 10:55 AM.
post #9 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 11:38 AM

Garage
I pay about $340/year with Dairyland for my 2015. I was looking at upgrading to a 2018. DL rates went up to over $1200/year for me. They recoded this bike after 2015 so the rates went sky-high. I called around and the best I could find was with Nationwide. It only doubled to around $600.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on a 2018...

Scott in Omaha, NE
2015 Ninja 1000 - Metallic Sparkle Black and Copper
post #10 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

I will try nationwide and see but I am concerned once I get it what's to stop them from being insanely expensive as well. Allstate 1200 fairyland 1500 progressive 1000 geico 1400 so far

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page