Different warranties - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-14-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Different warranties

Why does the Versys have a standard 2 year warranty while the N1k has a standard 1 year warranty? Is it just because one is considered a sportbike and the other a touring bike?

2015 Ninja 1000-Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Carbon Grey, Evotech Tidy Tail, Puig Windscreen (light smoke), Pirelli Angel GTs (190/55 rear), Sargent Seat, Kawasaki Hard Bags, Throttlemeister Throttle Lock Bar Ends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-14-2019, 05:30 PM

Probably yet another curse on the "Ninja" name.

2018 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Sargent Seat, Puig/Vstream screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
post #3 of 12 Old 11-14-2019, 06:08 PM

Price.

To extend the warranty on a still-in-warranty N1k, it's about $600. Could be for another 2 years I can't remember what Kawasaki offered me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-14-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenors View Post
Probably yet another curse on the "Ninja" name.
It looks like the Concours, Vaquero and Voyager get a 36 month warranty, only the Versys 1000 gets a 24 month and everything else I looked at (including smaller Versys) only get a 12 month warranty.

2015 Ninja 1000-Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Carbon Grey, Evotech Tidy Tail, Puig Windscreen (light smoke), Pirelli Angel GTs (190/55 rear), Sargent Seat, Kawasaki Hard Bags, Throttlemeister Throttle Lock Bar Ends
post #5 of 12 Old 11-15-2019, 12:07 AM

Garage
Here, sometimes when a bike does not sell, manufacturers top this extended warranty as a cherry to make it move.
Rickifumi likes this.

Ride hard, ride safe.

2018 Ninja 1000
R&G Frame Sliders
R&G Engine/Clutch Cover
K&N Air filter
De-cat and Y link Pipe
SP Engineering Demon Slip-ons
Rear grab rail delete
post #6 of 12 Old 11-15-2019, 09:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowda View Post
Why does the Versys have a standard 2 year warranty while the N1k has a standard 1 year warranty? Is it just because one is considered a sportbike and the other a touring bike?
I dont know it to be the reason but have read Kawasaki has detuned that motor.
rcannon409 likes this.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-15-2019, 11:03 AM

Guus, speaking of warranty. In the history of this forum, have we ever had a member take their bike in for a significant warranty claim? I dont remember seeing anything.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-15-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
Guus, speaking of warranty. In the history of this forum, have we ever had a member take their bike in for a significant warranty claim? I dont remember seeing anything.

In my entire riding career of over 40+ years, I only once had a legitimate warranty claim. A 30 day old 2001 ZRX1200 countershaft seal leak. Dealer claimed it was chain lube. Tried to show him with a flashlight how you could just see how the seal lip was pushed out on one 30ish degree section. No go. I ordered a replacement seal, fixed it myself, went back to the dealer and threw the seal on the counter and walked out. Never stepped foot in that dealer ever again. I sometime see the same part / sales guys at the local winter bike show. I still give them the stink eye..........
rcannon409 likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-15-2019, 01:43 PM

I don't think the 2-year warranty is anything but a perk to move fully amortized carryover models, and easing Versys 1000 sticker shock. I think these motorcycles tend to attract touring riders, who'd most appreciate the extra coverage whether it's ever needed or not. The machines are inherently reliable so Kawasaki is not sticking its corporate neck out TOO far on this.
agurudev likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-15-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCLandspeeder View Post
Price.
To extend the warranty on a still-in-warranty N1k, it's about $600. Could be for another 2 years I can't remember what Kawasaki offered me.
For those of you tempted to waste your money on an extended warranty be sure to shop around. I have a buddy who likes to donate to mc companies and a few years ago he shopped around for his Connie and found their 3 year extended warranty for just over half the asking price. The key question has already been asked: Anyone use their warranty on the N1k? Any Japanese bike? The closest thing I can think of to a warranty flaw was the "dry clutch" issue in early Ninjas.

Another buddy of mine had a Triumph Trophy that ate it's rear drive at 8k miles. The fork seals were gone too. Had to write a letter to the head of Triumph America to get them replace under warranty (at 6 months and 8k miles) because the local dealer said they were "normal wear articles" and not covered. His Triumph Tiger lost it's stator and R/R under warranty. He still loves his Triumphs but he keeps a Honda VFR1200 in the garage as well.

2018 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Sargent Seat, Puig/Vstream screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, Aerostitch Roadcrafter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page