Loving my N1K more and more. - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 11-07-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up Loving my N1K more and more.

Little by little in just over a year, I'm finally getting my 2018 Ninja 1000 the way I want it to be. It's sleeker, leaner, meaner, yet more comfortable than it was stock.

Coming from a 2015 R1, the bike was a "head" not "heart" purchase at first but I've grown to love it and every day I enjoy riding it more. Simply a great all around streetbike for daily use, and firmly on the sport end of the sport touring spectrum when it comes to weekend canyon rides.

I think once I get some rearsets and finally do the suspension, it'll be just right for me. I just figured I'd get my money's worth and wear out the stock suspension a bit first and at least need to flush fork oil before replacing anything. Of course bikes are never really done when I have one, so knowing me I'm sure I'll find something else to do down the road.

Mods list in my sig. Attached is my latest photo after installing a solo cowl and grab rail removal plates purchased from members here. Think it's looking pretty sharp, if I do say so myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N1K 11-19.jpg (360.2 KB, 32 views)
Ninja Raven, mr.sand and N1K1LE like this.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.

Last edited by tyrmeltr; 11-07-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-07-2019, 05:27 PM

That's good to hear!

I wonder though if you enjoy the journey of making this bike special, as much as you do riding it? For some folks that journey is part of the enjoyment.

Since you're one of those people who made the N1k more sporty, did you consider taking, say a literbike Super Sport and just made it more comfortable? I know this is like saying to the countless others who tried to make their N1k into a Concours 14, why not just get a C14! I do believe there is a huge return with very little $$ spent in simply fitting a liter SS with higher clip-on's and adjustable footpegs, bigger windscreen, heated connections, throttle lock, etc., because the performance gain is tremendous from an N1k platform to say a ZX10R platform. 30 more rwhp at least, 70 lbs. weight reduction, way better suspension and braking. That's a huge gain before any engine mods are even considered.
post #3 of 24 Old 11-07-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCLandspeeder View Post
That's good to hear!

I wonder though if you enjoy the journey of making this bike special, as much as you do riding it? For some folks that journey is part of the enjoyment.
That's a good question. I definitely enjoy "farkling" my bike. I've always tended to view stock bikes as a blank canvas begging to be customized to suit my tastes. That in mind, I do what I like, but I'd also like to think I do things tastefully and go for a clean look and good purpose. I love riding as much, I ride instead of drive whenever possible. Driving a car is pretty much torture for me.

Quote:
Since you're one of those people who made the N1k more sporty, did you consider taking, say a literbike Super Sport and just made it more comfortable? I do believe there is a huge return with very little $$ spent in simply fitting a liter SS with higher clip-on's and adjustable footpegs, bigger windscreen, heated connections, throttle lock, etc., because the performance gain is tremendous from an N1k platform to say a ZX10R platform. 30 more rwhp at least, 70 lbs. weight reduction, way better suspension and braking. That's a huge gain before any engine mods are even considered.
I think the closest I got to that was an '05 R1 with heli-bars. When I had my '15 R1, heli-bars didn't release their bars for that bike yet. Such a bike would be fine for most of the riding I do, but I don't think It would be as nice as the N1K for the few times a year I take a longer trip. Like when I rode up to Laguna Seca this Summer.

The Yamaha MT-10 is about 90% or so of the the current R1 is. Basically same chassis and engine. The only issue is that it's naked. If it had at least half fairing like my old '09 FZ1 had, I'd pull the trigger. I have seen some giant touring like fly screens available for that bike, but I just can't live with way that looks. Aesthetics still matter to me.

At this point, the only bike I'd replace my N1K with is the H2-SX. I normally keep my bikes at least 4-5 years if I don't total them like the last bike, and I usually wait until my wife has leased a new car so she can't say anything when I tell her I'm buying a new bike. Haha.
HoloQuest, Ninja Raven and N1K1LE like this.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 11-07-2019, 06:27 PM

LMAO! I get it with the wife.

The H2 SX is dangerously close to, if not the equivalent of, a Concours 1400. At least with a white or silver C14 you can dress appropriately with a white helmet and get the ability to part the Red Sea (because it is a cop bike). I rode with a guy on a silver Honda ST1300 and he wore a silver helmet. Every damn time I came up behind me my heart would flutter from fear that I'm getting pulled over. Cars moved over and switched lanes to give us the right of way. It had that kind of psychological effect on the general public.

I sort of, kind of, want to get an H2 SX. But really pause at the weight gain. My N1k is only just as much fun as my former sport bikes. It's right at that tipping point where it's too porky to be fun flicking it into corners like the whipper snapper super sports. You can still ride it hard and not get exhausted after a while. I recently did a back to back ride with my friend on his Daytona 675R. What a torture rack of a bike. But in the twisties that bike was sublime. Corner speeds that I would feel sort of nearing the limits of my comfort zone on the N1k, the 675R felt totally relaxed and seriously planted. Side to side transitions were quick and easy. This was why I had a CBR600RR before I got my N1k. The 675R didn't feel underpowered at all, it just felt softer in the midrange. Once it spooled up it was equally as fast as my N1k. I still wouldn't get a 675R in exchange for my N1k though. Because once I'm in cruise home mode, the N1k becomes the sublime ride to Nirvana. So comfy and relaxed. The super sports are always hyper active.

Anyway, once I get over the fact that I don't need the sounds and the mental attitude of a supercharger, which is bad ass to the bone, I realize I probably won't be happier on an H2 SX. Especially now that the 2020 N1k SX bridges that gap without the weight gain. For me I'd like to get a back to basics bike to complement my N1k. Which has absolutely nothing to do with your original post! LOL! Back to your channel.
Ninja Raven likes this.
post #5 of 24 Old 11-07-2019, 08:44 PM

Similar situation here in Oz.
Years ago I owned an 11 model SX.
& felt I’d outgrown it.
But I never messed with it.
Moved to a ZX10 & never got on with it on the road, all the powers up the top & not much use in my favourite tight mountain roads.
Years later, several bikes on & im back on an SX, but sorted out this time, straight thru system, re mapped, suspension sorted both ends.
It’s so far beyond that old 11 model now & hustles along.
Now just need a seat.
Do you like your Corbin ?
Better than a Sargent ?

It’s as much bike as you’d need on any twisty road IMHO.
After 43 yrs of riding & close to as many bikes
I.m settled
For now ?
ish
post #6 of 24 Old 11-07-2019, 09:56 PM

That cop bike thing isnt as cool as it sounds. People halfway freak out when they see a big, silver bike. Especially if you have on a dark jacket.

Jdub, how about a picture? Im still searching for the perfect spot to place my remote reservoir.
post #7 of 24 Old 11-08-2019, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post

Jdub, how about a picture? Im still searching for the perfect spot to place my remote reservoir.
Same place as the stock preload knob, RC, same place as the stock preload knob

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
G&G Moto2 exhaust cans + Akrapovic exhaust header
Rapid Bike Evo fuel controller + YouTune
BMC filter
Traxxion Dynamics front forks kit + Penske shock
Hyperpro RSC Steering Damper
Rotobox Carbon Fibre 300ST Wheels
Brembo 19RCS Corsa Corta master cylinder
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Baja S2 Pro auxiliary lights
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard
post #8 of 24 Old 11-08-2019, 09:35 AM

Having a bike that looks like a cop bike is not all it sounds like it would be. People do silly things when they think a cop bike is behind them. Figure a few seconds of erratic behavior as they hit the brakes, stop texting and/or make a snap move to put their seat belt on.

Bikram, I wondered as some of the shocks have that preload adjust as well as a reservoir. I finally ended up finding the perfect piece of carbon fiber for the job. Its about time to get started. Your right though. Its not like there are many choices.
Ninja Raven likes this.
post #9 of 24 Old 11-08-2019, 03:23 PM

rcannon409
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EF53181E-FC28-41FD-9E09-0E177C09F045_1573240914558.jpg (125.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 0B4D9711-330C-4002-A394-2C3BA4D915EE_1573240945911.jpg (104.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 60E30A13-8A98-4061-B9A7-D41CC0D34362_1573240971769.jpg (122.2 KB, 19 views)
post #10 of 24 Old 11-08-2019, 08:17 PM

I remember seeing this. You did a nice job on the battery box....very clean.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page