Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

2020 1000sx revealed

52K views 322 replies 49 participants last post by  rcannon409 
#1 ·

Kawasaki’s ever-popular Z1000SX gets a raft of updates for 2020 along with a new name. After years as the odd-man-out in the ‘Z’ range as the only Z-model to wear a fairing, it’s finally falling into line with Kawasaki’s normal naming protocol by becoming the Ninja 1000SX for next year. The model already bears that title in the USA, and now falls into line with other Z-based faired models like the Ninja 650, Ninja 400 and Ninja 125.
The name brings with it a selection of worthwhile improvements. While the 2020 Ninja 1000SX looks much like its predecessor, it’s switched the old four-barrelled exhaust – two each side – for a single large end can on the right hand side. It’s a cleaner, lighter look, particularly when the bike’s seen from the now exhaust-free left.
Look closer and you’ll see that the bodywork and front mudguard are redesigned for 2020, with larger air outlets and a more enveloping bellypan. Harder to spot are the new LED lights – headlights, tail light, indicators and even the licence plate lamp are all LED now – and the reshaped, more comfortable seats for both rider and pillion.
On board, 2020 Ninja 1000SX owners will find improvements including an up/down quick-shifter, cruise control, and new riding modes and traction control settings, all operated via a modern (but somewhat small) 4.3in full-colour TFT screen. As with so many other 2020 bikes, Bluetooth phone integration is also included.
Underneath, the engine’s throttles are new and the cam profiles are tweaked, but power and torque are virtually unchanged at 142PS (140bhp) at 10,000rpm and 111Nm (82lbft) at 8000rpm.
At an anticipated £11,300 the 2020 Ninja 1000SX is going to be about £1000 more than the current Z1000SX but the improvements should make the bike worth the extra outlay.
Link to article-
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci...mber/new-kawasaki-ninja-1000sx-z900-z650-2020

See less See more
Reactions: jr_tx
#2 ·
Nice updates to an already great platform!

#3 ·
It well be interesting to see how the insurance companies react to the the renaming. Will our European friends get the shaft, will we see a break?

#39 ·
My thoughts exactly. Best thing Kawasaki could have done is call it NOT a Ninja. Make it the "St1000SX" and save me a couple hundred $$ a year ownership.

Reactions: Rickifumi
#4 ·
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JWqjH-HhVc

Kawasaki’s ever-popular Z1000SX gets a raft of updates for 2020 along with a new name. After years as the odd-man-out in the ‘Z’ range as the only Z-model to wear a fairing, it’s finally falling into line with Kawasaki’s normal naming protocol by becoming the Ninja 1000SX for next year. The model already bears that title in the USA, and now falls into line with other Z-based faired models like the Ninja 650, Ninja 400 and Ninja 125.
The name brings with it a selection of worthwhile improvements. While the 2020 Ninja 1000SX looks much like its predecessor, it’s switched the old four-barrelled exhaust – two each side – for a single large end can on the right hand side. It’s a cleaner, lighter look, particularly when the bike’s seen from the now exhaust-free left.
Look closer and you’ll see that the bodywork and front mudguard are redesigned for 2020, with larger air outlets and a more enveloping bellypan. Harder to spot are the new LED lights – headlights, tail light, indicators and even the licence plate lamp are all LED now – and the reshaped, more comfortable seats for both rider and pillion.
On board, 2020 Ninja 1000SX owners will find improvements including an up/down quick-shifter, cruise control, and new riding modes and traction control settings, all operated via a modern (but somewhat small) 4.3in full-colour TFT screen. As with so many other 2020 bikes, Bluetooth phone integration is also included.
Underneath, the engine’s throttles are new and the cam profiles are tweaked, but power and torque are virtually unchanged at 142PS (140bhp) at 10,000rpm and 111Nm (82lbft) at 8000rpm.
At an anticipated £11,300 the 2020 Ninja 1000SX is going to be about £1000 more than the current Z1000SX but the improvements should make the bike worth the extra outlay.
Link to article-
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci...mber/new-kawasaki-ninja-1000sx-z900-z650-2020
About fing time. The single exhaust may make it a bit lighter, but I've always like the dual look. I also think it needs a boost in power too keep up with the competition.

#9 ·
Looks like the power and weight numbers remain the same as earlier...

Reactions: Darthanubis
#5 ·
Very nice. The TFT display looks good and at a glance it appears to have some new features. Glad to see they added cruise control.

Reactions: Darthanubis
#7 ·
Thats a good list of upgrades. Lots of things you cant do, yourself like that tft dash and cruise control. Im still blown away by one thing.

When it was released, in late 2010, I never dreamed it would be the same basic bike 10 years from then.

Avintage, lol on insurance rates, is my guess. Why would they want less money than suckers...i mean, us owners, have paid since 2010!

#8 ·
Nice updates, about what I expected. Evolution not revolution. It's not enough to compel me to upgrade, but just enough to annoy me that they didn't already offer all this in 2018 when I bought my bike.

#10 ·
The up/down shifter would be cool to have, rest of them don't really appeal that much to me personally.

Reactions: NinjaMick
#11 ·
I'm already sitting here planning on trying to swap my front turn signals to the new LED ones.

Reactions: kenors and agurudev
#14 ·
Nothing here to trigger the trade-in reflex. I like the 2018’s dual mufflers better, and LOVE its analog tach. Having enjoyed 40+ years of riding without quick-shifters and cruise control I don't suddenly need 'em now. And TFT (Too Fvcking Tiny) displays? Smartphone connectivity? Not only no...BFN!

#15 ·
I think Rick’s about to tell some kids to get off his lawn. Hahaha

#16 · (Edited)
imho, the 'quick' in quick-shifter is more inclined towards the track than either street or touring use... WHen you are touring why would you want to 'quick-shift'? Just saying...

All LED lights are already possible for the indicators using aftermarket led bulbs and flashers... 2017 and later models already have LED headlights and brakelights...
The TFT display is a novelty for sure, and adds bling beyond anything else...
THe exhaust looks really bulky and non-sleek compared to the rest of the bike...almost like the one on the versys 1000 / H2... why??

If only Kawasaki opened up the ECU...now that'd open up some real possibilities
...and... drive-by-wire all through...

Of course.. this is just me..

#17 ·
imho, the 'quick' in quick-shifter is more inclined towards the track than either street or touring use... WHen you are touring why would you want to 'quick-shift'? Just saying...
Have you ever ridden with a quick shifter? Because your comment suggest you haven't. At least not commuted daily with one extensively.

Setting aside how addictively fun it is to bang through upshifts full throttle like a MotoGP bike, they are dream to ride with on the track or off. That little less effort of using the clutch lever and lifting off the throttle for shifts really adds up and causes less fatigue. I wish I had an autoblip downshift too, for all the stop and go riding I do, picking through traffic splitting lanes, not having to clutch and blip to downshift would save that much more effort.

At the end of the day it's one less thing to do that allows you to focus on other aspects of riding and controlling the bike.

I haven't had a bike without a quickshifter, either aftermarket or factory since 2009. When I got my Ninja 1000, it was so annoying to have to go back lifting off the throttle to shift. I couldn't wait to get the ECU flashed and get a quick shifter. It's the first bike I've done ecu tuning before suspension it was so important to me.

#19 ·
I just bought a used 14 and I am glad to see these updates. Cruise and the quickshifter are great add on's! DO you need them...no but if you can get them that's great. Figure I will keep my 14 for a few years and find a used 2020 or 2021 later on, hehe.

For those questioning the quick shifter, don't knock it until you have tried it! I have been riding 35 years (54 years old) and my 2019 Hypermotard SP has one and it is a lot of fun when in the twisties....especially downshift (with the autoblip).....all you do is worry about braking and steering. :) Can I live without it...absolutely...but it's one of those "oh damn that's fun as hell" items, lol.

#21 ·
I'm not in the market for one but I just read on Zigwheels that it'll be a choice of 3 colors. Not sure if they'll be the same colors in the US but they listed grey, white and green. I'd like to see the grey and white options.

#24 ·
I stopped using the 2017 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory's quick-shifter when it could not match the smoothness of my regular upshifts. Not even a contest, really! Its auto-blip downshifts were okay, but even that I stopped using. Smooth shifting is a pleasurable skill I'm not eager to surrender to imperfect automation. I view these additional electronics as potential challenges to reliability and longevity, so if I'm not going to use it I don't even want it in the first place.

#26 ·
Officially a luddite. Haha. Which is fine. I’m sure I’ve frozen in time in ways too, I’m just a little younger.

I will say, the oem quickshifters are not as smooth as the aftermarket solutions which are tuneable. The difference between the OEM 2015 R1’s and FTECU’s was staggering. Consider for a moment that no amount of shift speed is beneficial with aftermarket race derived solutions if they do not facilitate a smooth shift that will not upset the chassis when exiting a corner.

In that respect the N1K now having a factory up/down is not as appealing as it having a fly by wire throttle that will allows for a better implemented solution than it comes with. This is assuming the ECU can and will be hackable.

#27 · (Edited)
Appears to be a lot more critical takes than I would have imagined on what I see as Kawasaki addressing via some nice upgrades just about every criticism I’ve read from others here and elsewhere make about this bike — LCD dash, no cruise control, no quick shifter, etc. Sure, the engine specs stayed the same (though it does have a couple more power modes now, which could possibly/maybe add more felt power) but the price largely did as well (i.e. no H2 pricing). Seems to me they did a nice job, and I’m impressed...and pleased to see it is indeed sticking around.

I am sorry to see we don’t get the rumored Emerald Green paint. I came to this forum a month or two ago saying I wanted to trade in my FJR for a 2020 Ninja 1000 next year, provided it wasn’t the same black of 2019 as I really like color on my bikes. But I’m so pleased to see the upgrades they made for 2020 that the green accents they’ve included are enough...I’m getting one in the spring. I’ll be sure to post some pics and a first-hand ride review of it, with particular focus on, respectively, the appearance and performance of the new upgrades.

#34 ·
Appears to be a lot more critical takes than I would have imagined on what I see as Kawasaki addressing via some nice upgrades just about every criticism I’ve read from others here and elsewhere make about this bike — LCD dash, no cruise control, no quick shifter, etc. Sure, the engine specs stayed the same (though it does have a couple more power modes now, which could possibly/maybe add more felt power) but the price largely did as well (i.e. no H2 pricing). Seems to me they did a nice job, and I’m impressed...and pleased to see it is indeed sticking around.
I think Kawasaki has been listening to customers (they do most times, and way better at tuning in than Honda). They gave us 99% of what we asked for. I wish they had given it another 10-15 rwhp for bragging rights. At least so the bike can easily walk away from a middleweight sportbike.

I'm looking forward to see what Suzuki has an answer for in its GSXS1000f line.

#28 ·
Another plus is that with ride by wire throttle it should allow for better implementation of traction control with smoother intervention.

#30 ·
Well your past comments in this thread seem to indicate more a fixed rather than growth mindset but I was really just jerking your chain with a bit of hyperbole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.