2020 1000sx revealed - Page 7 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 227 Old 11-06-2019, 11:14 AM

No, I haven't... and in the kind of traffic I ride in, a quick-shifter is useless for all the reasons you mentioned it as being fun.

If one really did not want the effort of a clutch, a auto-transmission is the way to go... like in the Africa Twin for example...

No doubt a manual transmission is fun...

Obviously, to each their own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrmeltr View Post
Have you ever ridden with a quick shifter? Because your comment suggest you haven't. At least not commuted daily with one extensively.

Setting aside how addictively fun it is to bang through upshifts full throttle like a MotoGP bike, they are dream to ride with on the track or off. That little less effort of using the clutch lever and lifting off the throttle for shifts really adds up and causes less fatigue. I wish I had an autoblip downshift too, for all the stop and go riding I do, picking through traffic splitting lanes, not having to clutch and blip to downshift would save that much more effort.

At the end of the day it's one less thing to do that allows you to focus on other aspects of riding and controlling the bike.

I haven't had a bike without a quickshifter, either aftermarket or factory since 2009. When I got my Ninja 1000, it was so annoying to have to go back lifting off the throttle to shift. I couldn't wait to get the ECU flashed and get a quick shifter. It's the first bike I've done ecu tuning before suspension it was so important to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 227 Old 11-06-2019, 11:25 AM

Garage
Having ridden my friend's DCT Africa Twin, I gotta admit, for commuting in stop and go traffic it's a dream. Well, except for how big and wide it is. Though I grew up with dirt bikes and learned how to use the clutch as part of the toolkit so I see benefits to still having a clutch. My car is a manual transmission, though I don't really commute with it unless it's raining. So it's not like I don't like to row my own boat if you will.

I want to add that I have a non-union fracture of the scaphoid bone, arthritis developing in proximal bone, and a resultant ganglion cyst in my left wrist which affects my thumb's grip strength and stability of my wrist in general and is aggrivated by clutching frequently. So the quickshifter also cuts down on my use of painkillers. So it increases my bias towards them a lot.

At the end of the day, more and more bikes are getting them, so clearly I am the one ahead of the game here. Nice thing about bikes that come with them, if you still insist on using the clutch, nothing is stopping you from doing so.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.
post #63 of 227 Old 11-06-2019, 12:14 PM

Sorry to hear about the wrist. Is'nt that the bone that takes FOREVER to heal, and might never....? Damn.....not good.

I tried that VFR1200, dct bike, and it was amazing. Way older than the African twin technology and probably not as good? It was like a big FAST scooter. If that system were smaller, or more compact...and im sure it will be, sometime, it will rule the world.
tyrmeltr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 227 Old 11-06-2019, 12:48 PM

Tyrmelter go ahead and get that cyst removed from your wrist, I had the same thing and had mine removed about 4 weeks ago, mine had got really large and was wrapping the radial nerve. The longer you wait the worser the surgery can be if it gets into vessels, nerves and so forth. The surgery is a piece of cake and it’s nice to have the cyst gone.
tyrmeltr likes this.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
post #65 of 227 Old 11-06-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark59 View Post
Did you all notice how big the bread box for the 4-1 exhaust hangs down on the opposite side of muffler. Looks like a monster.

Bigger cats, for sure..........

post #66 of 227 Old 11-06-2019, 01:46 PM

Wonder if Ivan will be able (or want) to tune it.....
post #67 of 227 Old 11-06-2019, 01:47 PM

Wonder if Ivan will be able (or want) to tune it..... In the mean time I have my new to me 14 modded exactly like I want so it's staying for a while....
post #68 of 227 Old 11-06-2019, 02:18 PM

Ya Mark,,. I see that, looks bigger then before and now no left side exhaust to cover it,,. I would be happy with a couple of heat shields and shorty pipes on either side,,.

How does Ducati do such a good job with there underbody exhausts,,.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark59 View Post
Did you all notice how big the bread box for the 4-1 exhaust hangs down on the opposite side of muffler. Looks like a monster.

Lag 4
2016 N1K,,Gry/Blk
Ceramic Coated Header with Urban Brawlers
Latest edition of Ivans flash E6, BMC performance A/C
OEM Gel Seat & Cowl, Bikemaster Bar End Mirrors, Koso Apollo heated grips
HID's with Halos, LED running lights, Smoked turn signals with LED's
S21's with the 55 rear
post #69 of 227 Old 11-06-2019, 02:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Wonder if Ivan will be able (or want) to tune it..... In the mean time I have my new to me 14 modded exactly like I want so it's staying for a while....
If he does it will be a while. He’s still not even doing anything for the ‘17-‘19 yet!
CRFan1 likes this.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.
post #70 of 227 Old 11-06-2019, 02:31 PM

Garage
Every time I see the N1KSX I look at the brake fluid reservoir because its tinted now. Cant wait till I can order it.
tyrmeltr likes this.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page