2020 1000sx revealed - Page 19 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 194 Old 02-04-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
Thanks for the grandfather clock explanation. It makes perfect sense. I think my old 900f Honda had bar ends that were similar to the vfr? I remember a bolt that was way longer than it needed to be.

When Ivan flashed my concours 14, it was not like that was a bike known for vibration, but his flash reduced it even more. I think we also had a several people report that his flash did the same , for the ninjas, as did a full exhaust.
I really enjoyed the '09 C14 engine a lot, in some ways better than the '14 ZX14R's 1441cc. Not sure if it was the variable valve timing or the touring package wrapped around the engine, but that C14 was creamy smooth in all but the very top RPM, but I rarely felt the need to ventured that far upstairs on that bike. I could almost take off from a standing still in 6th gear. I've had too many buzzy inline4 that I've grown to be somewhat adverse to this engine config in general. That mitsubishi big block is a refreshing example that restores my faith in the almighty inlin4.

Like I mentioned, early N1k vibes scared me off. The high insurance premium didn't help. I'm glad Kawi has addressed both issues, maybe not perfectly, but enough incremental refinement over the years that the vibes is under control enough for me to want to own one. I don't mind getting buzzed a bit if I had to keep the RPM up in the slice and dice, I just don't want to deal with it on the long drive to and from the twisties. Around here, it's a hike to get to the fun bits.
rcannon409 likes this.

'18 Ninja 1000, '18 Street Triple R, '18 KLX250S, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '05 GSXR600 (track)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 194 Old 02-09-2020, 01:22 PM

I just saw a test of Suzukis "new" V Strom 1050. It's new despite the big v twin engine being the same as it always was. It's not a big bore, like the 1050 part might suggest.

The price for the high end one, with cruise control, is 14,699. Standard level equipment, vs the ninja is similar. Even the base model is a thousand more than the ninja. I know the strom is closer to the Versys, but Kawasaki deserves credit for adding these features and keeping the low price.
post #183 of 194 Old 02-09-2020, 02:01 PM

Agree, Kawi is pricing there new bike competively (*I like that you dont have to upgrade to get the quickshifter/cruise as many Manufactures have done,,.) The thing is those ADV bikes like the Vstrom are having there way with the pricing these days both new and used, at least in these parts,!!

Quote:
I just saw a test of Suzukis "new" V Strom 1050. It's new despite the big v twin engine being the same as it always was. It's not a big bore, like the 1050 part might suggest.

The price for the high end one, with cruise control, is 14,699. Standard level equipment, vs the ninja is similar. Even the base model is a thousand more than the ninja. I know the strom is closer to the Versys, but Kawasaki deserves credit for adding these features and keeping the low price.

Lag 4
2016 N1K,,Gry/Blk
Ceramic Coated Header with Urban Brawlers
Latest edition of Ivans flash E6, BMC performance A/C
OEM Gel Seat & Cowl, Bikemaster Bar End Mirrors, Koso Apollo heated grips
HID's with Halos, LED running lights, Smoked turn signals with LED's
S21's with the 55 rear

Last edited by Lag 4; 02-09-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 194 Old 02-09-2020, 03:34 PM

I looked at the Kawasaki app, in the Google play store. The app gets mentioned every time they talk about the 2020 bikes. It has a 1.6 star rating ....must be awesome?

I wonder why they dont let google, or apple handle that part of the bike if they really want a motorcycle and a phone to get together?
post #185 of 194 Old 02-09-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I looked at the Kawasaki app, in the Google play store. The app gets mentioned every time they talk about the 2020 bikes. It has a 1.6 star rating ....must be awesome?

I wonder why they dont let google, or apple handle that part of the bike if they really want a motorcycle and a phone to get together?
From what I have read and been told, the app does not allow you to get turn-by-turn directions on the display. I know the BMW app does that, and I think the KTM does, but not sure. The Kawasaki app does something called track route or something like that, but I have no idea what that means or why I would want to do it. I think it tracks a trip you are taking. I don't need to know what route I just took. But maybe I'm not reading it right . Anyone know?
rcannon409 likes this.

Jim
2017 FJR1300ES, 2017 Superduke GT, 2012 1199 Panigale
post #186 of 194 Old 02-09-2020, 06:05 PM

Jim, i think this bike is owned by older riders, and we just might forget where we have been?
I sure wish I owned a 2004 motorcycle that could communicate with my flip phone.
jjscsix likes this.
post #187 of 194 Old 02-09-2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:

I had wanted an SV1000S and took me a long while to find a low miles '07 (last year of production?) in prestine condition. The engine is pure gem, but the rest of the package felt like it was done by Summer college interns at Suzuki. Brakes sucked, suspension ho-hum, instrumentation worthy of a 125cc scooter. I got the feeling that Suzi was afraid to put their A team on the SV Grande, for fear it would cannibalize their golden boy GSXRs. What a shame. The missed an opportunity to build a line with devoted following every bit the equal of Honda's VFR and Ducati's Monter.

If Suzi ever see the light to wrap a proper sport touring package around that revised Vstrom 1050 engine, I'd jump on it in a Hamamatsu heartbeat.

Just don't assign the project to Summer interns.

'18 Ninja 1000, '18 Street Triple R, '18 KLX250S, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '05 GSXR600 (track)
post #188 of 194 Old 02-10-2020, 12:05 PM

After seeing the video review I don't think the digital display is as nice as the analog/digital on the older models. It looks cheap to me. And I'm still not sold on the exhaust. I like that it's a single but IMO it's pretty ugly.
Just my personal opinion but if I were in the market for a bike today I'd opt for a new 16 if I could find one. I like the slipper clutch on the 16 over my 15 but that's it. I like that up to the 16 you can change out the sprockets with no problems.
The cruise control and gear indicator are very nice but the Throttlemeister I added works good enough and I could add a cheap aftermarket gear indicator easily if I felt it was necessary.
Again, just my own opinion.

2015 Ninja 1000-Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Carbon Grey, Evotech Tidy Tail, Puig Windscreen (light smoke), Pirelli Angel GTs (190/55 rear), Sargent Seat, Kawasaki Hard Bags, Throttlemeister Throttle Lock Bar Ends
post #189 of 194 Old 02-10-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
I had wanted an SV1000S and took me a long while to find a low miles '07 (last year of production?) in prestine condition. The engine is pure gem, but the rest of the package felt like it was done by Summer college interns at Suzuki. Brakes sucked, suspension ho-hum, instrumentation worthy of a 125cc scooter. I got the feeling that Suzi was afraid to put their A team on the SV Grande, for fear it would cannibalize their golden boy GSXRs. What a shame. The missed an opportunity to build a line with devoted following every bit the equal of Honda's VFR and Ducati's Monter.

If Suzi ever see the light to wrap a proper sport touring package around that revised Vstrom 1050 engine, I'd jump on it in a Hamamatsu heartbeat.

Just don't assign the project to Summer interns.
You have to remember that Suzuki has been on the verge of going out of business for some time now. Money to invest in anything new has been very limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowda View Post
After seeing the video review I don't think the digital display is as nice as the analog/digital on the older models. It looks cheap to me. And I'm still not sold on the exhaust. I like that it's a single but IMO it's pretty ugly.
Just my personal opinion but if I were in the market for a bike today I'd opt for a new 16 if I could find one. I like the slipper clutch on the 16 over my 15 but that's it. I like that up to the 16 you can change out the sprockets with no problems.
The cruise control and gear indicator are very nice but the Throttlemeister I added works good enough and I could add a cheap aftermarket gear indicator easily if I felt it was necessary.
Again, just my own opinion.
I respect your opinion, but....
I have a bike now with a throttlemeister and have had plenty of throttle locks. I have also now owned seven bikes with true cruise control. There is simply no comparison. Trying to get a throttle lock set to the speed I want is a pain in the butt. And that is on a flat road. An incline or decline is met with big speed fluctuations.

The TFT is more subjective, but I like them simply because they are far more readable in all light conditions. I’m surprised at how many read outs are difficult to read in many conditions. The Ninja 1000 was not the worst by fact, but the new TFT is a factor for me wanting one.

Jim
2017 FJR1300ES, 2017 Superduke GT, 2012 1199 Panigale
post #190 of 194 Old 02-10-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
You have to remember that Suzuki has been on the verge of going out of business for some time now. Money to invest in anything new has been very limited.
Yeah, Suzi has been recycling parts bin specials for a while now. They need to realize regurgitating old favorites like the SV650 with basically a new paint job isn't gonna save the company. If they want something other than a slow painful death, they need to come up with something that distinguishes themselves in a tough competitive market. Everybody and his Japanese uncle has inline4s, but V-twins are relatively unique. Even Ducati is venturing away from V2 for their top-of-line halo bikes. V-Strom 1050 is an existing product that is fairly up-to-date tech-wise. It wouldn't suck up a lot of R&D yen to tweak the same basic chassis into a sport tourer. It would be like making Ninja 1000 out of a Versys 1000, which is the exact opposite of what Kawi did.

As for cruise control, I agree with what you said. I've had electronic CC on several bikes now, and it's much nicer to have than throttle locks. On the Ninja 1000, it isn't a deal breaker for me. I've already got CC on the K16GT for longer range duty. My '18 N1k is replacing the VFR1200F, which doesn't have CC either. For shorter range duty, CC isn't as critical.

My take on the TFT screen is that the technology is far superior, but mfrs are so new at doing dash displays with it, they just don't know how to make efficient use of all that screen real estate. My '18 Street Triple R has it. The K16GT also has it, albeit partially. They both suck at organizing and presenting even just a handful of very basic vehicle parameters. Part of my job is designing industrial control screens and HMI panels and have seen other engineers suck at it. It's an art that requires a fundamental understanding of how an operator interacts with the info display, from a split second glance, to a 3-second overview, to a full-on browse of the menu system. A good panel allows the operator to make efficient, intuitive use of the screen at all levels of engagement. I'm sure in time the mfrs will get better at it.
jjscsix likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in