Cruiser vs N1k - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 10-31-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Cruiser vs N1k

I've never ridden a cruiser. Always liked the styling of the sport-tourers more. Have any of you ridden both and what made you ultimately decide on the sport-tourer? The cruisers look awfully comfortable sometimes.

2015 Ninja 1000-Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Carbon Grey, Evotech Tidy Tail, Puig Windscreen (light smoke), Pirelli Angel GTs (190/55 rear), Sargent Seat, Kawasaki Hard Bags, Throttlemeister Throttle Lock Bar Ends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-31-2019, 03:02 PM

Most of my experience is with cruisers (last one was a 2012 Triumph Thunderbird 1600). Then in 2017 I switched to a '16 Yamaha FJR1300 sport-tourer and am now looking at switching to a new Ninja 1000 next year, the Spring of 2020, for something lighter and more nimble, more along the sport end of the sport-touring spectrum. There were several reasons why I switched, but the primary one was a bad lower back...the upright seating and leg-forward ergonomics of the cruiser means your tailbone acts an absorber and delivery system for any noteable bumps in the road, sending lightning bolts of pain up your spine if, as I did, you have a lower-back issue. I needed a slight forward lean and legs tucked under me in order to remedy that issue, but didn't want a significant forward lean ala a supersports bike with clip-ons. I wanted a bike that makes me look back after I park it and walk off, and the ADV segment wasn't going to give me that. I wanted some storage via hard panniers. All that said, the sport-touring segment was then the logical choice, and I'm glad I went that direction. In fact, I got pretty taken with the sportiness and handling of the FJR (as compared to the cruiser) and wanted even more of that, hence my plan to pick up the Ninja 1000 next year.
rcannon409 and RobF like this.
post #3 of 28 Old 10-31-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

I have 3 bulged discs in my back. Makes sense that the bolt upright position would be worse for that condition than slightly leaning.
Once I added Murph's bar risers and a peg lowering kit it has nearly the same ergonomics as the FJR according to the ergonomics chart I looked at. Comfortable for me.

2015 Ninja 1000-Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Carbon Grey, Evotech Tidy Tail, Puig Windscreen (light smoke), Pirelli Angel GTs (190/55 rear), Sargent Seat, Kawasaki Hard Bags, Throttlemeister Throttle Lock Bar Ends

Last edited by Chowda; 10-31-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 10-31-2019, 03:48 PM

RC65 makes an excellent point about the generally poor riding position of cruisers. What feels comfy and couch-like in a showroom can be agonizing out on the road. This is made even worse by the usually very limited rear suspension travel on a cruiser. The latest cruiser fashion craze is "clamshell" rider positioning, with both the torso and legs stretched way forward.
post #5 of 28 Old 10-31-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickifumi View Post
RC65 makes an excellent point about the generally poor riding position of cruisers. What feels comfy and couch-like in a showroom can be agonizing out on the road. This is made even worse by the usually very limited rear suspension travel on a cruiser. The latest cruiser fashion craze is "clamshell" rider positioning, with both the torso and legs stretched way forward.
I see guys riding in that position and with ape hangers and wonder how they can do it for any length of time at all.

Last edited by Chowda; 10-31-2019 at 04:10 PM.
post #6 of 28 Old 10-31-2019, 06:56 PM
Bc2

Cruiser vs n1k

I like the inline 4 vs V Twin. My previous bike was a 2002 Kawasaki Mean Streak 1500 (See Attachment) I kept the Mean Streak this year and put 700 miles on it and an additional 2500 on the N1K. Thought I would ride the Mean Streak more now it is for sale. I view the N1K as the, "SPORT CRUISER." however much more refined. Anyone Interested in Mean Streak is priced to sell.

Bc2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0208.jpg (88.7 KB, 10 views)
Ninja Raven likes this.
post #7 of 28 Old 10-31-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc2 View Post
I like the inline 4 vs V Twin. My previous bike was a 2002 Kawasaki Mean Streak 1500 (See Attachment) I kept the Mean Streak this year and put 700 miles on it and an additional 2500 on the N1K. Thought I would ride the Mean Streak more now it is for sale. I view the N1K as the, "SPORT CRUISER." however much more refined. Anyone Interested in Mean Streak is priced to sell.

Bc2
Always liked the Mean Streak and Warrior looks wise.
Bc2 likes this.

post #8 of 28 Old 10-31-2019, 09:46 PM

The cruiser position was not that bad , back in the day when you could add wind protection. Without wind protection, high speeds were uncomfortable as you were not in a good position to deal with wind. The feet forward thing is awful. Especially in traffic. Panic stops became dangerous.

The only cruiser i likes was that Honda v4 Magna. Even as screwed as its riding position was, it handled pretty well and the engine was awesome. Smooth and powerful. Really, half the hp of our ninjas, but still good.
post #9 of 28 Old 11-01-2019, 03:32 AM

My previous bike was a Harley Heritage. I added a driver's backrest, as it was unbearable after about 75 miles for me. After the backrest, I could easily ride 600 in a day. However, as I got a little more broken in the shoulder, it started to hurt in other places, so I decided to go back to a Ninja, which I hadn't ridden since the 90's. Worked out great for me, and all is comfortable except the %%&$ seat. I still haven't gotten that corrected yet.
Ninja Raven likes this.
post #10 of 28 Old 11-01-2019, 09:47 AM

The only cruiser I ever had was a Yamaha Warrior, considered a "power cruiser". It was on the sporty end of cruiser with 100 ft lbs of torque and the suspension of a previous gen R1.

Just like everyone suggests, the feet forward position killed what otherwise could be a great bike. After a while my back and my tailbone would start hurting.

I think some cruisers are much better than others for comfort but this wasn't one of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Warrior-partial-midnight-1-stock.jpg (162.0 KB, 7 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page