2017 N1K Tire Wear - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 10-20-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Bc2

2017 N1K Tire Wear

Hi All,

The tires have approximately 2500 miles on them. These are the OEM Tires Bridgestone Battlax I think S20. I started to have my front tire wear (Please See Attached Picture) Also, for good measure I included a picture of my back tire. Since I have owned the bike I have run 36 PSI front and 38 PSI Rear (Verified with 3 Different Gauges) The front tire is the tire of my concern. I am told that I might have to wait until I replace these tires with a good set to determine what is happening. I'm considering Michelin Road 5. Also I am told that Michelin just came out with a new Road 5 GT. Any ideas? I may opt for the Road Smart 3s. Most of my mileage is commuting to work or traveling on the weekend. No track days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg N1K 1.jpeg (146.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpeg N1K 2.jpeg (157.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpeg N1K 3.jpeg (132.9 KB, 26 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 10-20-2019, 05:21 PM

Qualifier: My experience is with 2011 and 2014 Ninja 1000s, commuting/sport touring mainly in the north west corner of the US & over the border in Canada. All reviews are with a /55 profile rear.

Huge Pilot Road fan from all the way back to the Road 1s. I was going for mileage and wet performance and they delivered. Up until Road 4s it was all good. Mileage went up with every revision and rain performance just got better and better. With road 5s I ended up with weird feathering on the front tire. I didn't really feel it but I ended up changing out the tires based on front tire wear. I then went to a Road 5 rear & Road 4 front. There was also forum suggestions that the feathering could be fixed with suspension changes. I never got around to trying that.

At one point, I tried a Road 4 GT thinking maybe better mileage at the back end. That was true but it came at a cost. That tire is definitely made for HEAVY bikes. On the Ninja it feels like it's made of concrete. All the little road nubbles I never use to feel went right to my spine. I did not go with the GT tire again.

Enter Dunlop's super unbelievable cheap (w/ $60 rebate) Roadsmart IIIs. Gave them a try and never looked back. (2014 N1k) This tire made the Ninja handle better. Even "more" neutral feeling and slightly easier turn-in than the PRs. Even better, they feel "softer" and absorb even more of the little road nubbles making for a more relaxing ride. But...about 8k into my first set I noticed the front wasn't wearing even. There were slight indent on either side of the center of the tread. The tire guys said it's a dual compound tire and as it flattens out on the road, the center wears less than the softer side compounds. He suggested running 38# in the front. I just started that when me and the blue Ninja were swept off the road by an unobservant trucker.

I haven't picked up my 2018 Ninja yet but I will be running Roadsmart IIIs on it when I do.
HoloQuest and Bc2 like this.

2018 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Sargent Seat, Puig/Vstream screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, Aerostitch Roadcrafter

Last edited by kenors; 10-20-2019 at 05:24 PM.
post #3 of 54 Old 10-20-2019, 05:49 PM

Check out reviews of the Pirelli Angel Gt's if you're willing to consider other brands. Also, consider running a 55 profile rear instead of the factory 50. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as some of the folks on this site when it comes to bikes but even my novice self noticed a significant difference in flickability and turn in when I switched to the 55.
rcannon409, Bc2 and Ninja Raven like this.

2015 Ninja 1000-Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Carbon Grey, Evotech Tidy Tail, Puig Windscreen (light smoke), Pirelli Angel GTs (190/55 rear), Sargent Seat, Kawasaki Hard Bags, Throttlemeister Throttle Lock Bar Ends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 Old 10-20-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowda View Post
Check out reviews of the Pirelli Angel Gt's if you're willing to consider other brands.
I ran Angel GT's for over 40,000 miles and I loved them. Pirelli has been making tires since 1885!

Unfortunately, in March 2015 Pirelli was purchased by ChemChina a subsidery of the Chinese government.

So I switched to Dunlop Roadsmart 3's and am happy again.
Bc2 likes this.
post #5 of 54 Old 10-20-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoloQuest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowda View Post
Check out reviews of the Pirelli Angel Gt's if you're willing to consider other brands.
I ran Angel GT's for over 40,000 miles and I loved them. Pirelli has been making tires since 1885!

Unfortunately, in March 2015 Pirelli was purchased by ChemChina a subsidery of the Chinese government.

So I switched to Dunlop Roadsmart 3's and am happy again.
Didn't realize that. Checked online and it seems Dunlop are the only all American motorcycle tires out there (unless I read wrong). It's nearly impossible to avoid supporting that communist regime but I'll do so when possible. Guess it'll be Dunlop for me in the future.

2015 Ninja 1000-Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Carbon Grey, Evotech Tidy Tail, Puig Windscreen (light smoke), Pirelli Angel GTs (190/55 rear), Sargent Seat, Kawasaki Hard Bags, Throttlemeister Throttle Lock Bar Ends

Last edited by Chowda; 10-20-2019 at 08:52 PM.
post #6 of 54 Old 10-20-2019, 09:15 PM

How far are we supposed to go with anti China thing? If China is a problem, you cant use any original Kawasaki levers, hoses, plastic pieces, or 16097-0008 oil filters. I imagine you have removed those from your bike, right? . They say Kawasaki on them, but are built in China.
Lag 4 and Ninja Raven like this.
post #7 of 54 Old 10-20-2019, 09:31 PM
57x

I'm ok with paying more and getting them back built in Japan or US. We just cannot keep funding an enemy.
post #8 of 54 Old 10-21-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57x View Post
I'm ok with paying more and getting them back built in Japan or US. We just cannot keep funding an enemy.
Japan was the 'enemy' in World War-II. I agree with RC on this. Pirelli still employs people all over the world with plants in 12 countries.

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
G&G Moto2 exhaust cans + Akrapovic exhaust header
Rapid Bike Evo fuel controller + YouTune
BMC filter
Traxxion Dynamics front forks kit + Penske shock
Hyperpro RSC Steering Damper
Rotobox Carbon Fibre 300ST Wheels
Brembo 19RCS Corsa Corta master cylinder
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Baja S2 Pro auxiliary lights
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard
post #9 of 54 Old 10-21-2019, 08:36 AM

With the exception of the Dunlops that came from the factory on my Yamaha, I have never had good luck with OEM tires. The Bridgestones that came on my Ninja 1000 were not very good and the front tire was wearing as fast as the rear which was unusual.

Like Kenors, I am a fan of the Roadsmart 3 when it comes to sport touring tires.

Bc2......definitely switch to the 190/55 rear tire size when you replace the OEM rubber!!
rcannon409 and Bc2 like this.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
post #10 of 54 Old 10-21-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc2 View Post
Hi All,

The tires have approximately 2500 miles on them. These are the OEM Tires Bridgestone Battlax I think S20. I started to have my front tire wear (Please See Attached Picture) Also, for good measure I included a picture of my back tire. Since I have owned the bike I have run 36 PSI front and 38 PSI Rear (Verified with 3 Different Gauges) The front tire is the tire of my concern. I am told that I might have to wait until I replace these tires with a good set to determine what is happening. I'm considering Michelin Road 5. Also I am told that Michelin just came out with a new Road 5 GT. Any ideas? I may opt for the Road Smart 3s. Most of my mileage is commuting to work or traveling on the weekend. No track days.
Rapid, and uneven, front tyre wear is possibly the result of overly soft front suspension. You need to check your compression and rebound. Dial in completely to full lock and then dial out both adjusting screws one full turn. Do the same with the rear shock preload by dialling in (clockwise) to full lock and then dial out maybe 8-10 clicks. That will also significantly help in the handling of your bike.
rcannon409, Bc2 and agurudev like this.

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
G&G Moto2 exhaust cans + Akrapovic exhaust header
Rapid Bike Evo fuel controller + YouTune
BMC filter
Traxxion Dynamics front forks kit + Penske shock
Hyperpro RSC Steering Damper
Rotobox Carbon Fibre 300ST Wheels
Brembo 19RCS Corsa Corta master cylinder
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Baja S2 Pro auxiliary lights
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page