2017 N1K Tire Wear - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 54 Old 10-21-2019, 11:44 AM

Bikram, thats a really good point. If a person had uneven tire wear, on the minivan ( not that BC has a minivan) the last thing they would blame is the tire. You would look at alignment, shocks or struts way before the tire, itself.

I think my Pirellis say "Made in Mexico" at least thats a good Country that were not pissed off at. Well, as soon as we finish the wall.
Lag 4 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 54 Old 10-21-2019, 12:38 PM

Don't you have to start the wall before finishing it RC?......ha
rcannon409 and Lag 4 like this.
post #13 of 54 Old 10-21-2019, 03:26 PM

Dunlop Roadsmart 3's. The sportiest tire you can get on the N1k without going with a full on sport tire. Get the 190/55 rear tire. I will never look back to even the Michelins (they're good too) or the Pirelli Angel GT2.

On the subject on where these tires are made, it's true that Pirelli is owned by ChemChina...one of the largest state owned Conglomerates in the world. State owned means it's government owned and run, and is deeply intertwined with the Communist party of China. Having said that, my Roadsmart 3's are made in Japan (LOL). I do believe their sport tires are made in the USA. Pirelli will often times build their tires in China or Germany, depending on the type and price point.

Whether China is an "enemy" depends on how you define it. China's state run economy is based on predatory practices of stealing intellectual property, currency manipulation, forced technology transfers, and state subsidies. They are a member of the World trade Organization, and insist everyone play by those rules except China. They play by their own rules. China behaves like this because it's in their culture and primarily because the world allows them to. The USA created China and their behavior today. We are to blame for allowing China to get away with this behavior for decades because we had no backbone and cared more for the almighty $$ than doing things right. Also we were scared of Trade War. American Corporate greed sent manufacturing to China. The USA basically is paying for the Chinese military buildup we have been seeing for decades. Whether you agree with it or not, what we have been witnessing in the past 12+ months with the US-China Trade war is what the US should have done back in the 1990's--force China to play by the rules, and not allow US manufacturing to bleed there. There is a silver lining to all this. This Trade War has revealed that so many Pro-China people were wrong all along! The USA is the the tail that wags the Chinese dog! China's Export driven economy depends too heavily on US demand, which they can't replace. All the manufacturing moving out of China to avoid the Tariffs have benefited other countries, primarily, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, India, Mexico, and a few others. Basically it spread the windfall that China has been getting fat on to other nations around the world. Regardless of whether there is a Trade deal between China and the US, China's economy will never recover and these changes we are seeing will define their behavior from here on out. At the very least, China isn't out there actively killing Americans, beheading innocent civilians, etc. They want a trade deal. They NEED a trade deal. The US also wants a trade deal but doesn't depend on it to do well on its own. In the end this will be beneficial for everyone.
HoloQuest and Bc2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 54 Old 10-21-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldaddygroove View Post
Don't you have to start the wall before finishing it RC?......ha
It's being built already. Here in California and Texas. Yup California....LMAO! Hard to believe isn't it?

I think people are pissed off at China because they're not being fair to ANYONE including any of their neighbors. They use bully tactics. That's just China being China. And the only country that can out bully them is...yup, the USA. And that's what we are seeing. But at the end of the day it's all about the money. China doesn't want conflict, it wants money. They can't survive without trade. The USA holds that card and that's just fact. I'm optimistic good things will come of this. Not just for China and the US, but everyone including our neighbors to the North and South, Europe, and the rest of Asia. Believe it or not Mexico has been good to us. We also hold their purse strings! LOL! It's really the US' fault for letting countries take advantage of it, that's all. All we have to do is tell them to stop doing these things that hurt the US. That's not too much to ask. It is possible to have a good, symbiotic relationship with the US...kind of like...wait for it....Canada. LOL! Ok, ok! Kind of like Japan and Australia too. We can all get along if everyone plays fair right?
post #15 of 54 Old 10-21-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Bc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikram View Post
Rapid, and uneven, front tyre wear is possibly the result of overly soft front suspension. You need to check your compression and rebound. Dial in completely to full lock and then dial out both adjusting screws one full turn. Do the same with the rear shock preload by dialling in (clockwise) to full lock and then dial out maybe 8-10 clicks. That will also significantly help in the handling of your bike.

Please See attached...These pictures are from my owners manual is it me or does it sound like it is the opposite then what was suggested?

Bc2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear Shock Preload Adjustment.jpg (89.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Rear Shock Preload Adjustment 2.jpg (94.2 KB, 14 views)
post #16 of 54 Old 10-22-2019, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc2 View Post
Please See attached...These pictures are from my owners manual is it me or does it sound like it is the opposite then what was suggested?

Bc2
I completely stand by what I said, despite what is written in the manual. Have set up suspension on a few Ninja 1000’s for my buddies and all have reported a distinct improvement in handling and confidence over bumpy roads especially in the twisties. There is no sacrifice in comfort either. The stock suspension setting on this bike is too soft, way too soft. Kawasaki seems to want to emphasise in the ‘tourer’ aspect of this ‘sport tourer’ bike. Try the settings I’ve suggested, you got nothing to lose and perhaps something to gain.
rcannon409 likes this.

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
G&G Moto2 exhaust cans + Akrapovic exhaust header
Rapid Bike Evo fuel controller + YouTune
BMC filter
Traxxion Dynamics front forks kit + Penske shock
Hyperpro RSC Steering Damper
Rotobox Carbon Fibre 300ST Wheels
Brembo 19RCS Corsa Corta master cylinder
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Baja S2 Pro auxiliary lights
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard
post #17 of 54 Old 10-22-2019, 12:21 PM

Bikram, I feel the suspension setting on the N1k is firm and sporty for a 185 lbs rider. Not harsh, but definitely in the realm of sport bikes. I'm at that point where I prefer the suspension to move up and down more to absorb bumps especially in the twisties at a spirited pace. In fact, I turned down the damping on mine (1/4 turn from base setting) to let it do just that. I haven't experienced any wobbling or po-go effect at the rear at high speeds. My bike is completely stock.

I had a VFR800 with a complete aftermarket, custom suspension with full adjustments front & rear, spring rates suited to my weight and riding pace. That suspension was great at a much elevated pace, especially under hard braking. But slow the pace down a bit and it felt just a bit too stiff for me, especially on the rear rebound. Going from that to the stock N1k, I prefer the N1k for most riding. I just have to modulate my braking because the front fork damping on the N1k lets the bike dive too quickly, instead of a slow, progressive nose down on my custom suspended VFR under hard braking.
post #18 of 54 Old 10-22-2019, 03:07 PM

The factory tires on my '14 looked just like that at a similar mileage. I replaced them with Roadsmart 3's and those have now done about 4K miles with no visible profile change and have felt more secure than the stock skins since day one.
Bc2 likes this.
post #19 of 54 Old 10-22-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Bc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikram View Post
I completely stand by what I said, despite what is written in the manual. Have set up suspension on a few Ninja 1000’s for my buddies and all have reported a distinct improvement in handling and confidence over bumpy roads especially in the twisties. There is no sacrifice in comfort either. The stock suspension setting on this bike is too soft, way too soft. Kawasaki seems to want to emphasise in the ‘tourer’ aspect of this ‘sport tourer’ bike. Try the settings I’ve suggested, you got nothing to lose and perhaps something to gain.

Will do...Thank you
post #20 of 54 Old 10-22-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Bc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfix View Post
The factory tires on my '14 looked just like that at a similar mileage. I replaced them with Roadsmart 3's and those have now done about 4K miles with no visible profile change and have felt more secure than the stock skins since day one.

I have seen a lot of good reviews on the Roadsmart 3s. Thinking about purchasing them with the 190/55 Rear Tire via the internet. I have read that you should not purchase old stock tires (More than 5 years old.) How do you insure this via an internet purchase? It looks like I will attempt for the first time mounting them myself. I purchased the balancer/weights and have Kurveygirl 83 degree stems to mount and tire levers etc...

Bc2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page