Heated grips - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 10-17-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Bc2

Heated grips

Hi All,

I need your help. Before I start looking at old posts, I figured I would start here. I'm in New England and thinking of adding heated grips. Don't know if it is better to have heated gloves? Any ideas or suggestions welcomed.

Bc2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-17-2019, 09:57 PM

Bc2, I have the oxford heated grips. The large diameter works with my hands. They will get so hot that you have to turn them down, so power is not an issue.

The grips do all they can, but im not a real fan of the concept.. They work better on my c14 because i have hand guards to keep the wind off. On the ninja, the back of my hand will be freezing, while the inside is too hot to hold the grip. This is talking 35-40 degree temps. They are nice when its 50-60 to take the edge off. They are cheap and easy to connect, but overall, i think ill try the gloves.
Bc2 likes this.
post #3 of 23 Old 10-17-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Bc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
Bc2, I have the oxford heated grips. The large diameter works with my hands. They will get so hot that you have to turn them down, so power is not an issue.

The grips do all they can, but im not a real fan of the concept.. They work better on my c14 because i have hand guards to keep the wind off. On the ninja, the back of my hand will be freezing, while the inside is too hot to hold the grip. This is talking 35-40 degree temps. They are nice when its 50-60 to take the edge off. They are cheap and easy to connect, but overall, i think ill try the gloves.

Thank you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 10-18-2019, 09:10 AM

I've done both heated gloves and Oxford heated grips. The backs of your hands and your finger tips do get cold with the heated grips (when wearing regular riding gloves) when the the temps are 5C to 8C, but I find a cheap pair of $10 rubber overgloves solve that problem. As for heated gloves, I've had a couple and while they work to keep all your hand warm, they are a bitch to get off after a period of riding because your hand is stuck to the lining due to persperation.
N1K1LE likes this.
post #5 of 23 Old 10-18-2019, 09:12 AM

These work wonders when it is cold, raining, or both:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RobF and N1K1LE like this.
post #6 of 23 Old 10-18-2019, 10:27 AM

I like the idea of not plugging my hands into a cord. The rubber outer glove sounds like a good solution. The oxford grips are really powerful, so theres plenty of heat to work with.
post #7 of 23 Old 10-18-2019, 04:42 PM

Anyone run hand guards on their Ninja? I've been thinking about it, but man do they look dorky on a sport bike.
post #8 of 23 Old 10-18-2019, 05:30 PM

I use Gerbing heated gloves along with Heated jacket liner with full sleeves. It's a game changer in winter. It's a single wire from your bike's battery. The jacket liner connects to the bike. The jacket liner has wires that connect to the gloves. Easy on/off. You need the dual controller to control either/both the gloves and liner heat independently. While it's really nice to be able to just turn on heated grips if you don't have winter gloves, it really only heats the palm of your hands. The rest of your body is freezing. With heated jacket liner + gloves, most of your body is bathing in heat, including the finger tips, knuckles, etc. You really don't want to unplug from the bike at all. LOL! It's that nice.
post #9 of 23 Old 10-18-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldaddygroove View Post
As for heated gloves, I've had a couple and while they work to keep all your hand warm, they are a bitch to get off after a period of riding because your hand is stuck to the lining due to persperation.
I'm on my second pair of heated gloves. First one was Tourmaster. Now I'm using Gerbings. Never had this sticky problem. But my hands don't really sweat.
post #10 of 23 Old 10-18-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcullum1995 View Post
Anyone run hand guards on their Ninja? I've been thinking about it, but man do they look dorky on a sport bike.
I put them on my Ninja when I took a near 100mph "hard thing" on the knuckle of my little finger. Finishing a trip with my little finger swelled up and sticking out wasn't fun. I added Barkbuster Storm S7s a couple weeks later.
A side effect is that they make grip heaters much more effective and even provide a fair amount of rain protection. I've tried and didn't like various winter, cold weather, waterproof and heated gloves and keep coming back to my favorites so my choice is obviously personal. I do wear a heated jacket (Gerbings).
The Barkbusters don't "waterproof" your hands but for up to an hour in moderate rain they keep my hands/gloves fairly dry. Cutting the wind makes the grip heaters more effective too.
Of course, "dorky" is in the eye of the beholder but I've long ago given up the old addage "It is better to look good than to feel good."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barkbusters.jpg (290.7 KB, 27 views)

2018 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Sargent Seat, Puig/Vstream screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, Aerostitch Roadcrafter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page