bugs on my faceshield! - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 10-01-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

bugs on my faceshield!

It has been a wet spring, summer and fall here in Wisconsin this year. And the bug splats on my face shield are getting so bad that its hard to see after 10 or 20 minutes of riding, most days.

What do you do to keep your face shield clear?

Do you have a method to clear your shield while riding?

I have a Puig windshield, because I like to have my helmet in clear air, which doesn't help the bug issue. I've been just tilting my head/helmet slightly in order to see around the bigger splats, for 2 hours at a time, until my next rest stop. Then I clean it, and I''m good for another 10 minutes of riding. :|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 10-01-2019, 09:50 PM

I carry a microfiber rag and a small can of Honda polish and spray wax and pull over and clean the face shield and wind screen, it want scratch the plastic, it’s good stuff, I clean my whole bike with it.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's

Last edited by Mark59; 10-01-2019 at 09:55 PM.
post #3 of 29 Old 10-02-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark59 View Post
I carry a microfiber rag and a small can of Honda polish and spray wax and pull over and clean the face shield and wind screen, it want scratch the plastic, itís good stuff, I clean my whole bike with it.
Yes.....this exactly. Honda spray polish is good stuff.

Having a bunch of busted bugs all over my shield is a pet peeve. I like having a clear view and clean my shield often. Here in Kentucky we get some different bugs based on the time of year and some of the the splats and smears on your bike and helmet change color with the seasons. There are some big, nasty ones in spring.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 10-02-2019, 07:57 AM

Garage
I keep a small can of Plexus plastic cleaner in my side case along with a microfiber towel.

When a man says he will fix something, then he will fix it. Thereís no need to keep reminding him every 6 months.
New Jersey Sucks
post #5 of 29 Old 10-02-2019, 08:21 AM

Trialsguy is not asking what you use to clean your visor, he's asking how you clean your visor while riding/moving......

Best solution I have found for riding in buggy conditions is a damp microfiber cloth with a grommet and a leash attached to your tank bag, and store the cloth in an outside pocket of the bag or the main compartment. You can grab it while moving,
post #6 of 29 Old 10-02-2019, 11:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldaddygroove View Post
Trialsguy is not asking what you use to clean your visor, he's asking how you clean your visor while riding/moving......

Best solution I have found for riding in buggy conditions is a damp microfiber cloth with a grommet and a leash attached to your tank bag, and store the cloth in an outside pocket of the bag or the main compartment. You can grab it while moving,

Yes, this exactly. I don't have mine attached to the tank bag, but I like that idea. I've lost a couple trying to stuff them back in the bag. I keep mine in a ziplock in the tankbag to keep it moist all day.
cooldaddygroove likes this.

2014 Ninja 1000
2008 KLX 450R
post #7 of 29 Old 10-02-2019, 12:30 PM

I know this isn't an answer to the original question but I'll throw it out there anyway.............

I buy compressed cotton towelettes in bulk and keep them in my tankbag, jacket pockets, etc. Just add water (which I usually have with me anyway), they expand, clean off bugs and throw away. A quick polish with a small microfibre (that stays clean as I'm only using it for polishing) and I'm good to go.

https://www.amazon.ca/Vosarea-Compre...44535256&psc=1
post #8 of 29 Old 10-02-2019, 04:58 PM

I ride with a tank bag and keep a wet paper towel and dry towel in it. On slower or straight sections a quick wipe usually takes care of things. At stops the face shield and windshield also get a Plexus treatment. It makes the splattered remains a lot easier to remove.

2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Seth Lamm Seat, Puig screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, LEDPerf H7C HID lights, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
post #9 of 29 Old 10-02-2019, 05:38 PM

Ewwww, paper...scratchy scratchy, even when wet
post #10 of 29 Old 10-02-2019, 06:07 PM

Yeah, must be why my shields only last 5 years and 100k miles...
nucleus likes this.

2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Seth Lamm Seat, Puig screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, LEDPerf H7C HID lights, Aerostitch Roadcrafter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page