Heat from exhaust - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 09-23-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Heat from exhaust

Before I bought my bike, I met an owner who was selling and he mentioned that the heat from the exhaust nearly took out the sole from his riding boots and was one of the reasons why he was selling. I didn't give it much thought and assumed that he must have been exaggerating.

After I got my Ninja (from someone else), I did find that the heat coming off the exhaust was noticeable. I attributed this to the cat/breadbox and assumed that it would go away after taking it off.

Recently I took off the catcon and replaced it with a straight pipe (please see other post) but on a recent long ride noticed that the heat coming off the exhaust was still there. I can feel it near my boot sole and not on the leg.

Anyone else noticed this? The temp here is around 22C to 35C usually.

Ride hard, ride safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 09-23-2019, 11:23 AM

Garage
My first big change was a full delkevic exhaust because of the heat. It was unbearable. The exhaust definitely made a difference but when it's hot here you still feel. It seems unavoidable since the pipe still run by your feet.
agurudev likes this.
post #3 of 42 Old 09-23-2019, 11:56 AM

You are fighting a few things with regards to the exhaust. Problem 1 is an exhaust system gets hot. Even under perfect conditions. Especially when your foot sits 2 or 3 inches from it. Just like Rudiher said.

Part 2 is the catalytic converter. They dont work very well until they are VERY hot. A minimum of 600f, and probably even more. It has to heat up as soon as possible, too. So, the stock engine is tuned and set up to accomplish this. With that in mind, removing the cat does not fix the real problem. The bike still thinks its there, and does some pretty crazy things to try and keep it hot. Especially at low rpm.

A really good ecu reflash will make this issue better, but i dont know of anyone who can do this on the newest bikes. Its not something you can fix by adding or subtracting fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 09-23-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Good point, and no reflash available. Maybe get a Woolich and just run it a little more rich, may help a little?

Ride hard, ride safe.
post #5 of 42 Old 09-23-2019, 01:02 PM

When you made your cut for the y-pipe does it cut out the cat automatically or can you leave it in.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
post #6 of 42 Old 09-23-2019, 01:15 PM

Even though its miserable, and as much as you want it gone, i would not ever turn a motorcycle because i wanted to reduce heat in its exhaust. I picture you in heavy traffic, and im sire its horrible, but Its not a great goal to have in mind. You still get heat with an aftermarket exhaust and the best reflash. Its less, way less, but i cant say its ever pleasant.

I would try the kit because it will probably make your bike run better. Making it extra rich, im not so sure about. By definition, thats more fuel than you are burning. If you lower engine temps, this way, be prepared for the problems this causes like carbon build up, horrible mileage, and probably things we have not even though of.
agurudev likes this.
post #7 of 42 Old 09-23-2019, 01:21 PM

An important consideration is the thermal insulating qualities provided by our riding gear. Our choice of gear affects how much exhaust heat reaches the skin.

Even on hot days, 95*F and above, I do not experience much in the way of heat on the feet and legs. At worst, on rare occasions it's a minor sensation of warmth on the right boot when crawling along that immediately disappears when speed rises. It never reaches the point of discomfort or even annoyance, simply awareness. And again, it's very transient and never, ever for any length of time. The bike is a 2018 with stock mapping.

My choice of riding gear includes full-height boots (mine are Sidi) and tall compression socks. I know that low-rise riding boots (or shoes?) are popular today, which by nature will offer less thermal insulation to the legs.
post #8 of 42 Old 09-23-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark59 View Post
When you made your cut for the y-pipe does it cut out the cat automatically or can you leave it in.
You can leave it in but it creates a slight problem, you need to be very careful cutting the pipe as the cut needs to be made with 35mm left for the pipe to slip on to the header. I took out the cat

Ride hard, ride safe.
post #9 of 42 Old 09-23-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
Even though its miserable, and as much as you want it gone, i would not ever turn a motorcycle because i wanted to reduce heat in its exhaust. I picture you in heavy traffic, and im sire its horrible, but Its not a great goal to have in mind. You still get heat with an aftermarket exhaust and the best reflash. Its less, way less, but i cant say its ever pleasant.

I would try the kit because it will probably make your bike run better. Making it extra rich, im not so sure about. By definition, thats more fuel than you are burning. If you lower engine temps, this way, be prepared for the problems this causes like carbon build up, horrible mileage, and probably things we have not even though of.
Agree, the tuning is to get the bike to run better and the cooler temps would just be a bonus. Would not run it rich beyond good AFR
rcannon409 likes this.

Ride hard, ride safe.
post #10 of 42 Old 09-23-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickifumi View Post
An important consideration is the thermal insulating qualities provided by our riding gear. Our choice of gear affects how much exhaust heat reaches the skin.

Even on hot days, 95*F and above, I do not experience much in the way of heat on the feet and legs. At worst, on rare occasions it's a minor sensation of warmth on the right boot when crawling along that immediately disappears when speed rises. It never reaches the point of discomfort or even annoyance, simply awareness. And again, it's very transient and never, ever for any length of time. The bike is a 2018 with stock mapping.

My choice of riding gear includes full-height boots (mine are Sidi) and tall compression socks. I know that low-rise riding boots (or shoes?) are popular today, which by nature will offer less thermal insulation to the legs.
Agree, I ride with mid length Joe Rocket boots all the time. For me too, it is more of an awareness of heat but that sensation is something that I have not had on any of my previous bikes and hence worries me.

SUPER STREET RX-14 BOOT ? Joe Rocket

Ride hard, ride safe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page