The Ecu waiting is over..now the report - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-12-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

The Ecu waiting is over..now the report

Ok, here is my story, and the report on Ivans flash...though it may be skewed as I have been waiting about 3 weeks and riding my wife's Z900 in that time. Her Z is pretty rank, and will even lift the tire in 3rd, so in hindsight, I shouldn't have rode any bike but just waited for mine. I put on akra headers, and stock mufflers before flash, so I will put it like this... bare stock, bike would lift front tire a little in 1st gear. Akra headers and stock mufflers, bike now lifted front tire in 1st gear about 7000rpm up to redline.
Got flash and put on BlackWidow slip on. With db killers in, bike pulls a little harder than it did with just akra headers and stock mufflers...but is clearly stronger all through rpm and smoother, though a ninja 1k is pretty smooth anyways, less decel and no backfiring, but the popcorn sound is still there (which I like). Db killers out, bike will lift front tire about 3000rpm and keep it in air. Now here is interesting part...roll on power is very strong but hitting the throttle is a bit lazy. DB killers back in, quick aggressive throttle responds better but overall power is much less. THIS IS JUST A REPORT, I realize the 1k is not a litre bike racer but a great sport tour, just giving a report.
So, reading Ivans report of his 2012 was my benchmark or standard, not sure if he dyno tuned his with a PC5 to get his results though. He says his bike lifts in 2nd at full throttle..if I sit on back seat (pillion), it lifts about 1". He says he can coax his front tire up in 3rd, on mine...not a chance. I weigh 150lbs and have been riding and since 10yrs old ( am 51 now). So I would say I gained about 10hp with akra headers, and maybe 9ish, or 10 with flash. Overall I do not regret getting flash esp for this reason... it will lift front tire so easily and effortlessly without screaming rpm...that puts a smile on my face. Have had litre bikes, hyper bikes...this combo of akra and flash is a good combination on this bike... This flash is better than PC5's I have used before, and better than other flashes I have used as well. If some of you 1k riders are looking for total bike transformation, that will realistically take about 50-60 hp....so, buy a bigger bike. This flash and akra/slip on's are a real compliment to this bike and really perk it up, a much stronger lively bike! really can't go wrong with it.
That's the report,
HoloQuest likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-12-2019, 07:40 PM

How about throttle response, especially the on/off transitions? Engine braking? The former smooths it all out and the latter is supposed to be reduced with the flash.

You should really be adding closer to 15-18 rwhp with headers on. I think stock exhaust the tune adds about 10-11 rwhp along with an extra 500 RPM overrun.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-12-2019, 08:03 PM

If wheelies are the goal, have a local machinist remove some weight from your flywheel. Once its flashed, you dont need all the weight the stock one has.Its not like the flywheel adds power, but gives faster response.

Its bot really something I mention, often, but if the wheelie is where it's at, there no better mod for less money. The reflash is more for people who like good on-off throttle response, and dislike fuel cut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-12-2019, 08:20 PM

What did I just read?
rcannon409 and tyrmeltr like this.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-12-2019, 08:36 PM

I think you just read an excellent example of why it's best to not recommend products or services. It's not like there are any guidelines, and people expect some really different things, and their testing methods are probably something you've never even had cross your mind.

My best wheelie bike is my 2 stroke, big bore, yz295/300. It will wheelie in every gear. The first 4 will go completely over if a person is not expecting the hit. It makes about 58hp. 20 less than a ninja 650 that wont power wheelie, in any gear.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-12-2019, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Throttle response is excellent, took my daughter for ride, really noticed how smoothe, strong engine is. Decel is significantly less. Guys, don't read me wrong, the most significant thing I noticed was how easy the front wheel lifts. So am using that as a metre to how much different the bike is. Yes, would recommend Ivans flash, what I am saying is I didn't expect it to be a hyabusa when I got it back, but a strong smooth bike.
That's exactly what I got. Truth is my old zx14 responded the same, with a wonderful gentle wheel lift, lovely experience, it was also very smooth power. So, in short, I wasn't steered wrong, I have used a different company for my last flash, and can now say I would recommend Ivans flash. When I read Ivans own testimony of the 1k he stated "what it like on the street"? Then started talking about wheel lift in first 3 gears, so I was only comparing to what he had said his was like. So I now have a bike I have been looking at for almost a decade that is far better than stock, smooth, strong...and yes, lifts the wheel and puts a smile on my face.
Rickifumi likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-12-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Guys, didn't mean to offend anyone, I think we are saying the same outcome, but using different descriptions..... small town boy.
rcannon409 likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-13-2019, 08:34 AM

Denn, no problem. None of us get anything if you do a flash, or not, so it's not like I have anything to lose. I'm glad it's what you wanted.

I never did hear what town you are in. The reason I ask is altitude. Ivan is at sea level, or damn close to it. I live in areas between 4500-6000ft. All of my bikes end up being significantly less powerful than they could be, because of this. If you figure a flash and full exhaust is 147 hp (Ivan's figures) , the same bike would be closer to 130hp, for me. I'm offended by that!
post #9 of 15 Old 09-13-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

That sounds pretty accurate for all of my bikes as well. This flash has produced the best results of anything I have done before though. I live 2 1/2 hours north of large city Edmonton Alberta (lots of bush). We live beside a large lake "Lac La Biche" which is notorious for producing pressure systems. Not every bike reacts same, even with controllers, I totally get that, our Z900 has stock headers but all "cat" removed and a short akrapovic can on it. Has no flash or fuel controller which I know should be done. And the thing just goes like crazy when you get on it. Doesn't make sense, but it just does. Am really happy with flash on mine, has some peculiar throttle traits that difffer greatly depending on if the db killers are in or out, part of learning process. But have no regrets for the purchase I think elevation is around 2000
post #10 of 15 Old 09-13-2019, 02:59 PM

Z900 weighs like 460 lbs. wet though and has 115 rwhp. It should go like hell. But being naked, it probably feels a lot faster than a fully faired N1k.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page