Thinking of a 2019 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-25-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Thinking of a 2019

I've been looking to update from a 2015 N1K to a 19, just curious if the the last update in 2017 forward has Kawasaki addressed the slow turn in issues that reviewers have mentioned by going to a 190/55 rear tire? Thanks for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-25-2019, 05:09 PM

Dont look at it as an issue. It's really not at that level,a and never has been. The 55 series tire is taller and that makes the handling a little quicker, and a little sharper. That taller tire will do that same thing to any bike that came with a 50 series tire.

Based on everyone's reports, I think it's fair to say the newer bike handles better, stock. Another thing to think about is this. Typically no one is taking off a brand new 190/50 tire to replace with a 55 series. That take-off 50 series tire is probably worn out and squared off before removal. At that point, the 55 tire will feel THAT much more impressive.....new vs used.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-25-2019, 07:00 PM

Would the same result occur if you lowered the front fork setting about a 1/2"? Just wondering...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 08-28-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelink View Post
I've been looking to update from a 2015 N1K to a 19, just curious if the the last update in 2017 forward has Kawasaki addressed the slow turn in issues that reviewers have mentioned by going to a 190/55 rear tire? Thanks for any replies.

I had a 2012 N1K years ago and recently picked up a 2017 N1K. Before getting the 2017 N1K I test rode a used 2015 model and noticed the turn in on stock tires did require a bit of effort. No such effort needed with the 2017 model. Turns in almost as naturally as my previously owned GSX-R750. Before spending a huge amount of money on a new model, I'd try the 190/55 solution first if I were you unless you want some of the new features that come with the newer models. Also, there have been reports that on the 2017+ models if you change up the sprocket size it will throw errors due to the IMU and other electronics on the new bikes. My bike is currently getting a full system installed along with an ECU flash and dyno tune. I told the tuner I wanted to try a 16T front sprocket to lower the RPMS at higher speeds and asked him to check with Woolich about whether that will be an issue with the electronics. He reached out to them and they said no. Not sure if that is because a minor change like going from 15T to 16T will not throw things out of whack or if during the tune he will be able to resolve any issues that come up. Will find out soon when he is done.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-28-2019, 09:40 PM

I swapped to the 190/55 rear before taking delivery, based upon this forum's almost unanimous positive feedback. But swapping to a taller rear tire is no guarantee of quicker steering on all bikes: exchanging the 180/55 for a 190/55 on my '03 Aprilia Tuono Racing made the steering heavier and overall the bike lost agility. Roll-on acceleration also suffered. I later went back to the previous 180/55 and all of those good traits returned.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-28-2019, 09:46 PM

Our household has both and I've ridden both on and off. In my opinion, it is not worth the upgrade if cost-benefit is to be taken into consideration.

The difference is about 4k from a used pre 2017 to a new 2019. If I had 4k+, I would do an akra 4-1 system, traxxion fork and rear, Ivan's tune. That's about 3k total, you still have 1k left. You can do the slipper clutch mod, projector led, aftermarket windscreen and seat.

For the styling though, the new Gen looks amazing depending on the color. The rider aides is nice to have but it is not something to lose sleep over IMHO. Of course, it all depends on which one do you really value.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-29-2019, 10:25 AM

I agree with comments about the front end. I have the 2017 ninja 1000. The front end did not feel sure footed and steady. After 6000 kilometers I replaced the stock front Bridgestone Battlax with the Michelin Road 5 with the same profile. The difference was stark. Completely different. The Bridgestone felt stuck in a groove around corners. Once a line was taken it did not want to change. At traffic lights, slowing down it was a bit wobbly and unsteady. I highly recommend replacing the front OEM Bridgestone battleaxe.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-29-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatdriver View Post
Would the same result occur if you lowered the front fork setting about a 1/2"? Just wondering...

You can't lower the front end that much. 1/2" is equivalent to 12mm. The most you can slide the forks up through the triple is 7mm
post #9 of 18 Old 08-30-2019, 10:21 AM
57x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickifumi View Post
I swapped to the 190/55 rear before taking delivery, based upon this forum's almost unanimous positive feedback. But swapping to a taller rear tire is no guarantee of quicker steering on all bikes: exchanging the 180/55 for a 190/55 on my '03 Aprilia Tuono Racing made the steering heavier and overall the bike lost agility. Roll-on acceleration also suffered. I later went back to the previous 180/55 and all of those good traits returned.
Rickifumi,
Could the difference in your situation be caused by a wider tire on the same rim causing the tire to pinch. A taller tire would decrease trail, helping turn in. It seems that situation had more variables.

I changed wheels recently on my 07 GSXR750 track bike, as I had a set of Carrozzeria wheels laying around. The rear went from 5.5" to 6", and I accordingly went from a 180/55 to a 190/55. I noticed a minor improvement in turn in and no power impact.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-30-2019, 11:42 AM

The rim was a 6.0, so it was correct for the 190/55. Seat of the pants feel was that of a heavier tire and more rotational inertia, which would resist changes in direction.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page