Windshield mount for Ram??? - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 08-19-2019, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Windshield mount for Ram???

I was thinking of mounting the RAM stem mount bracket directly to the underside of the windshield. If I could find a matching windshield screw that was an inch longer, that is. I tried the stem mount into the stem but could not get it to tighten properly, and don't want to remove the stem nut. Anyone know what size and proper name of the windshield screw??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-19-2019, 11:11 PM

I think it is a 5mm metric socket screw...
post #3 of 28 Old 08-19-2019, 11:22 PM

Garage
Metric bolts are thread size by thread pitch by thread length in millimeters.
Our windshield bolts are called,
hexagon socket button head bolts. (I say bolts because they use a well nut)

So when I bought my new ones I believe I ordered. M5 x .8 x 15 hexagon socket, button head bolts.
I'm not 100 percent on the pitch/.8 but i do remember it was strange. I say strange because most thread pitches are in .25 increments.

Add to the 15 millimeters of length however much you fill you need. A inch is 27 millimeters so you'll more then likely have to take a 40 or 45 which ever you fell is closer.
Hope I didn't confuse you with my poor explaining.
Cheers
Kenneth

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 08-20-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll grab some today and see if they are close. May have to switch out all to make them match, but I think this mount will work well.
post #5 of 28 Old 08-20-2019, 10:53 AM

What exactly are you planning on mounting behind the windscreen? Whatever it is, it might wiggle a lot at speed
post #6 of 28 Old 08-20-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

I am going to try mounting the RAM mount behind it for my phone, so I can see Waze. With no wind load, I think it will work as the mount will be directly attached to the support brace. The stem mount really doesn't work on the N1K due to the configuration of our stem nut.
post #7 of 28 Old 08-20-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatdriver View Post
I am going to try mounting the RAM mount behind it for my phone, so I can see Waze. With no wind load, I think it will work as the mount will be directly attached to the support brace. The stem mount really doesn't work on the N1K due to the configuration of our stem nut.
I'd be interested to see how this works out for you. Post a couple pics if you get a chance. I went with the RAM STEM mount and used Johnathan Long's video method to mount it. You're right about it not being a standard install but following his approach and taking a full afternoon helped me secure it. Here's the video if you've not seen it yet.

post #8 of 28 Old 08-20-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

I will let you know how it turns out. I did see the video, but was not a fan of removing and reinstalling the stem nut to proper specs. I may end of having to do so if this doesn't work. I don't think there is enough room to use a handlebar mount either. I hope to get the screws this week, and I'll let you know how it goes.
post #9 of 28 Old 08-20-2019, 12:06 PM

Use the RAM clutch/brake lever bracket mount. https://mounts.factoryoutletstore.co...yABEgKSNPD_BwE

This is much more secure. The windshield mechanism is not strong enough to hold the weight of a heavy phone.
post #10 of 28 Old 08-20-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Ok, hadn't seen this mount. I'll check the reservoir to see if ours will work with this bracket tonight. Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page