Low Power Mode is my new best friend! - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-06-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Low Power Mode is my new best friend!

Well, I have had my 17' Ninja 1000 for 10 days now and was getting a little irritated with the jerky throttle (fueling) due to the emissions reduction mapping. For many people it may not be an issue, but I've always been a stickler when it comes to a smooth throttle. I'm planning on putting on a full Akrapovic 4-1 system this week and will have an experienced tuner do a dyno and flash the ECU. That should smooth things out and hopefully make the bike sound a bit more like how an 1K inline four should sound.

Anyhow, today I decided to futz around with the traction control and power mode settings to see if any changes would smooth out the throttle. Lo and behold when I set the power mode to Low the damn throttle was much closer to what I like in smoothness. Hopefully the tune and full system will make things even better.

Also, I do notice when in full power mode accelerating normally in 1st gear, around 2700 RPM the bike suddenly gets a jolt of fueling and lurches forward. It is somewhat annoying unless I give the throttle a ton of gas from the get-go and then I don't notice it. Hopefully the tuner will be able to smooth that out. To my surprise, in low power mode the surge at 2700 RPM is much less extreme and for the most part quite tolerable.

Anyone know off hand how much power is being cut when in low power mode and if any other variable are in play? Bike seemed plenty powerful to me for my tastes in low power mode with the added benefit of having much smoother fueling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8205 (Medium).jpg (167.4 KB, 22 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-06-2019, 10:28 AM

I thought is was 70% vs 100%?
nucleus and NVY like this.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-06-2019, 12:58 PM

Wait a second: you have a 2017 that has choppy throttle?

There is something wrong with your bike for sure. I guarantee it.

I have a 2018, same as yours, 100% stock. It has one of the smoothest throttle responses of any stock bike I've ridden. I really can't complain about anything. I've never had a moment wherein I felt it was jerky at ANY throttle opening, in ANY gear, at ANY RPM. None. Zero. It's smooth as hell. I would have to jerk the throttle with my hand to get the bike to act up. Read all the ride reports of professional testers, every single one of them say the '17 to present N1k's throttle response is spot on. It runs like a finely tuned bike. Mine is set to full power mode.

Keep your throttle cable play tight. Keep your drive chain play at 30 mm.
tyrmeltr, Darthanubis and kenors like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-06-2019, 03:57 PM

I agree with OC, I haven't felt anything but super smooth in either mode, and for that matter, have not been able to discern a lot of difference between the two modes either. How about you guys? On the same topic, can anyone of you explain the technology involved, especially as regards fuel economy too. Obviously, it has to be related to fuel regulation but am interested in how much it changes fuel consumption and how it's done. Thanks.
tyrmeltr and Darthanubis like this.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-07-2019, 12:01 AM

Garage
my 18's jerky from a start or during slow speed. My other two (14 and 16) weren't as bad before the flashes. I was thinking about dumping it into low for parking lots and other similar situations.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-07-2019, 05:11 AM

I use low mode when I am running low on gas in the middle of nowhere. It has always extended my range.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-07-2019, 08:39 AM

Garage
My personal experience says the low power mode had 0 to do with your better fuel mileage and that self preservation and the desire to not have to walk did. That is unless you were running at maximum throttle before and after.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-07-2019, 12:17 PM

Garage
Full power with TC off is like riding a bike with 10 more horsepower. The TC ic super intrusive and intervenes just shifting in a straight line thinking the bike is gonna wheelie. I wish it was more like my 2015R1 tc which was much more adjustable and allowed the front wheel to skim a bit before cutting power.
Darthanubis likes this.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-07-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCLandspeeder View Post
Wait a second: you have a 2017 that has choppy throttle?

There is something wrong with your bike for sure. I guarantee it.

I have a 2018, same as yours, 100% stock. It has one of the smoothest throttle responses of any stock bike I've ridden. I really can't complain about anything. I've never had a moment wherein I felt it was jerky at ANY throttle opening, in ANY gear, at ANY RPM. None. Zero. It's smooth as hell. I would have to jerk the throttle with my hand to get the bike to act up. Read all the ride reports of professional testers, every single one of them say the '17 to present N1k's throttle response is spot on. It runs like a finely tuned bike. Mine is set to full power mode.

Keep your throttle cable play tight. Keep your drive chain play at 30 mm.
I think everyone has different ideas of throttle sensitivity. To clarify my originally stated gripe, the throttle is not jerky to the point that I'm rocking back and forth or unable to smoothly accelerate or decelerate, but it does require a lot more hand control and effort on my part compared to other bikes I've owned (GSX-R750, ZRX1200R, Z900, Iron 883, etc.). Compared to my previously owned stock 12' Ninja 1K this bike is smooth as butter. I definitely think what I'm experiencing is due to the ECU fueling map. That should be resolved when I get the tune and flash. See this video:
post #10 of 11 Old 08-07-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
my 18's jerky from a start or during slow speed. My other two (14 and 16) weren't as bad before the flashes. I was thinking about dumping it into low for parking lots and other similar situations.
I'm amazed at how the throttle almost completely smooths out for me in Low power mode sans Flash.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in