What helmets do you all wear? - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 07-22-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

What helmets do you all wear?

I have a Shoei Neotec 2. I like it, very comfortable, but it's black, and with my most recent weight loss it's getting a little big around my cheeks. That's more of an excuse to buy a different helmet though. Lol.

Definitely considering a new white helmet... Just not sure what to get. Was thinking about getting a full face, hoping it's a little bit quieter. Modular a are generally a little louder but the Neotec is supposedly a quiet helmet in general.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited by skootin; 07-22-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 07-22-2019, 03:29 PM

I have an original Neotec myself. I wore open face until modular helmets came along. Since I wear glasses I find full face helmets a bit too much hassle. My first flip face was a Shoei Synchrotec. Frankly the reason I got it was I was in a shop getting tires. While I was waiting I started trying on flip face helmets. It think they had HJCs and Nolans as well. The Shoei fit the best and was most comfortable. It was kind of an "aha" moment for me that different brands didn't just have different fasteners, liners & features but were also shaped differently.

After 2 Synchrotec's, a crash scratched up the second one so insurance bought me a new Neotec. It's nicely improved over the older one. The Shoei line has kept it's basic internal shape so they still fit me really well.

BTW, if you want to go down a size and your helmet is fairly new you can just replace the internal pads. They only make 2 shell sizes I think and the rest of the sizing is done with the internal padding. Saves a bundle.
skootin likes this.

2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Seth Lamm Seat, Puig screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, LEDPerf H7C HID lights, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
post #3 of 31 Old 07-22-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

I actually put the smaller cheek pads in a couple of months ago, but now they are ever so loose. The 35mm I have at home, and been meaning to try them again. They were just too tight for me but that was probably about 25#'s ago. My face gets quite fat when I gain weight.

But that still leaves me with a black helmet. Lol. I really don't know what I was thinking when I bought it in black. Probably that it looks good. Idiot.

kenors likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 07-22-2019, 04:30 PM

I'm also shopping and there are only two I'm considering:

Shoei GT-Air or GT Air 2
HJC RPHA 70

Both are designed for Sport/Touring upright riding position. Both got great reviews online, including professional reviews. Stay away from race style helmets like the Shoei X14 and similar. They are NOT optimized for the upright riding position and will under-perform on a Ninja 1000. Not to mention they are very difficult to install comm units on due to their narrow and tight shapes/interiors.
skootin likes this.
post #5 of 31 Old 07-22-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skootin View Post
I actually put the smaller cheek pads in a couple of months ago, but now they are ever so loose. The 35mm I have at home, and been meaning to try them again. They were just too tight for me but that was probably about 25#'s ago. My face gets quite fat when I gain weight.

But that still leaves me with a black helmet. Lol. I really don't know what I was thinking when I bought it in black. Probably that it looks good. Idiot.

Of course, the cheap fix for that is Krylon. If you want plain old gloss white a hit of primer and a hard gloss enamel and you're good to go. Leave the vent sliders black and you'll be visible and look really cool!
And, BTW, congrats on the shrinking body. That can be a real test of will power.
skootin likes this.

2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Seth Lamm Seat, Puig screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, LEDPerf H7C HID lights, Aerostitch Roadcrafter

Last edited by kenors; 07-22-2019 at 04:45 PM.
post #6 of 31 Old 07-22-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.
@kenors yes, weight loss is fun!! Used to be a competitive bodybuilder, but old age, bad joints, and torn tendons have derailed that a ton. I've always been on the bigger side, but about 8 years ago I found the perfect diet for me and I can drop fat very easily. I'm just really not in the best shape. 7 years ago, at this weight I had abs... Now I have a giant ab. Lol. Kind of been loving by the motto why have a 6 pack when you can have the whole keg!!

But, I'm getting older and shouldn't be carrying around this type of weight, especially fat. Need to drop another 20#'s of my blubber.

Darthanubis likes this.
post #7 of 31 Old 07-22-2019, 05:58 PM

I have a long history of Arai ownership, and now wearing a Corsair X. Originally purchased for trackdays it's also used for touring. It's light, has excellent ventilation and peripheral vision, and is very quiet for this category of helmet. No aches, pains, or ringing ears after long rides. Made in Japan quality. The Nicky Hayden 6 paint and graphics are flawless.
post #8 of 31 Old 07-22-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickifumi View Post
I have a long history of Arai ownership, and now wearing a Corsair X. Originally purchased for trackdays it's also used for touring. It's light, has excellent ventilation and peripheral vision, and is very quiet for this category of helmet. No aches, pains, or ringing ears after long rides. Made in Japan quality. The Nicky Hayden 6 paint and graphics are flawless.
I really like Arai helmets, and being originally from Owensboro I am a big Nicky Hayden fan. Wore Arai Corsair for years when I could get them for about 450 bucks.

Now wearing the Bell Race Star. Picked up one this year for 370 bucks and it fits very well, and ventilates as well or better than anything else I have ever worn. It is a bit noisy but I always wear earplugs so it is really no matter.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

Last edited by Johnmark101; 07-22-2019 at 06:31 PM.
post #9 of 31 Old 07-22-2019, 07:53 PM

I favor HJC RPHA because it is so light. The shields come with pinlock pins and ship with an insert standard so absolutely no fogging. Not quiet though. Used to use it for racing but on street rides I have to be sure I have earplugs in for wind noise. As with many racing based helmets, they run small so as to favor a snug fit, but occasionally a person may have to go up a size.

Around town, I wear a rashed up HJC RPHA 10 that I crashed in. No serious dent damage (it was a low side, no impact, just sliding) but the rash makes it look horrendous. I just leave it sitting on my bike and nobody steals it. On longer trips that I don't have to leave my helmet unattended I have an identical new one that I sometimes wear but honestly, I like my old rashed up one. It's broken in better and more comfortable, and...

I love how the rashed up helmet completely triggers the helmet police.
"OMG you NEED to throw that out and get a new helmet!"
"How much is your head worth??!!!"
"You realize the foam can dent under the shell even if you can't see it?"
"Whatever dude, not too smart!!"
"We at the helmet company think you should throw out functional products and buy new whenever possible."
So many perfectly good functional helmets have been disposed of that I wear this rashed one in protest, even though I have a new one just like it. (replaced the visor though. Need clear vision of course)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rashed_helmet.jpg (109.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg BHF_07-11-2015_John2_closeup.jpg (30.0 KB, 12 views)
post #10 of 31 Old 07-22-2019, 10:08 PM

Shoei RF-1200, prior to that a GT-Air. Both good. Both white!!!!!
Darthanubis likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page