Never realized how bad people drive... - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 07-10-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Never realized how bad people drive...

I knew it was bad, but omg, it's horrible. Being a newer rider, at least for me, I pay attention to everything. Watch the road in front of me, check my mirrors, anticipate what others may do, etc. Very defensive, and I need to be (as most of us do), especially here in South Florida.

In the last week, just being defensive I've avoided multiple close calls. One that was really kind of mind boggling happened two days ago.

Was riding, it was raining (always makes things more interesting), and headed northbound on a 2 Lane, one way road. Speed limit 35. I'm in the right lane, away from cars. Person decides to make a left from a side street, ends up in my lane of course, and is riding with there hazards. I immediately slow down, give them some room. I also lean to the outer part of my lane. Car in left lane is now catching up to me, while hazard person decides to make a left from the right lane.

Of course car in left doesn't react in time, iirc, I didn't see brake lights at all, and plows into him. I'm a safe distance to the right, and the truck behind the other car plowed into him.

Anyway, the thing I learned from this, besides the complete stupidity of people is that I slowed down way too much, and as soon as that car cut left, I should have resumed my speed. By maintaining that slow speed I put myself in jeopardy, had any of those other cars swerved. I was smart enough to anticipate both things, which was good, but didn't handle this 100% correctly. As soon as I saw the truck hit the car in front of him I realized that I was paying too much attention to the accident that had already occurred. He could have went right, and possibly hit me if I didn't get moving.

Lesson learned.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
novaks47 and nucleus like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-10-2019, 08:02 AM

Skootin you are paying attention and learning which is a good thing, similar incidents were happening to me and I bought me and the wife a high visibility bell helmet and haven’t had near the incidents I use to have. Also I put distance between me and the cars around me ever chance I get, even if it means riding a little hot at times. I quit trying to go with the flow of traffic I want to be the leader.
novaks47 and skootin like this.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
post #3 of 20 Old 07-10-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark59 View Post
Skootin you are paying attention and learning which is a good thing, similar incidents were happening to me and I bought me and the wife a high visibility bell helmet and havenít had near the incidents I use to have. Also I put distance between me and the cars around me ever chance I get, even if it means riding a little hot at times. I quit trying to go with the flow of traffic I want to be the leader.
I've got a very bright helmet, and wear an orange hi-vis vest. The vest made a huge difference! Drivers behave differently around me now. No more getting tail-gated in the city, almost never get cut off now, and everyone gives me tons of room. I notice more people move out of the way too, lol.

I think hi-vis not only makes you obviously more visible, but it also sends a message, saying "that guy isn't a jackass". I suspect it gives off a "safety conscious" vibe, which your average comatose sheep behind the wheel sees as non-intimidating. Or to put it another way, makes riders appear as the exact opposite of the type of rider that most cagers bitch about, i.e. loud piped cruiser snoozer, or mister super-sport flying through traffic at 120+ mph.
nucleus and skootin like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 07-10-2019, 10:24 AM

Novak’s I agree with you 100 percent, the more high visibility you wear the better, I noticed a tremendous difference in near misses.
skootin likes this.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
post #5 of 20 Old 07-10-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Good points for sure. I've been itching to get a new helmet, mostly because mine, foolishly, is black. Didn't think about it at the time... Plus, I've lost recently losta good amount of weight, and my XXL helmet feels a little bit bigger than I like. When I gain weight, goes right to my face. Basically a few months old too...Shoei Neotec 2. Definitely getting a lighter color, probably white. Visibility and heat. South Florida. Ugh.

novaks47 likes this.
post #6 of 20 Old 07-10-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skootin View Post
Good points for sure. I've been itching to get a new helmet, mostly because mine, foolishly, is black.
I switched from a mostly black bike / gear / helmet to a mostly white bike / gear / helmet and I think's it had a (small) positive effect on being noticed.
skootin likes this.
post #7 of 20 Old 07-10-2019, 02:12 PM

Two years ago i turned in front of a scooter rider. A college kid. The scooter was home painted, bright yellow and he had on a high vis helmet.

It was not a serious close call. He flipped me off and i deserved it. I was wrong.

It made me realize the visibility thing ....you might as well wear it, it cant hurt, but when i made my turn I looked for what threatened me, and looked for what i expected to see. Cars and trucks. The scooter took that extra split second to process, and by then i made my turn. It was a good learning experience. If i ride as if someone can see me, this will end badly and always leave myself a way out.
nucleus and skootin like this.
post #8 of 20 Old 07-10-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

It's definitely worse on a scooter, but problem with scooters, imo they give a false sense of security. People think, eh, just a scooter. They are obviously a lot smaller, nimble for sure, but so slow. I have a vespa 300 gts, exhaust and bored out. It's fast for a scooter, but no comparison to either of my Ninjas.

I hadn't rode it in a month or so, and I hopped back on. Damn, so different. Felt so weird to me. I used to love that thing too. I just have no desire to take it anywhere, gym, local store, etc. I always want to hop on my ninja.

Scooters definitely aren't as safe and safety is hugely overlooked. Constantly "reminding" my girl, wear your safety gear. Florida, I'd say 85-90% don't wear gear on bikes, scooters it's got to be 95-99%. I was the only "idiot" with a Neotec 2, rev'it mesh jacket, gloves, full armor, and Rokker jeans while riding a scooter. A fast one, had it up to 72 gps on 95 after I bored her out. Only thing I overlooked at the time was proper motorcycle shoes.

novaks47 likes this.
post #9 of 20 Old 07-11-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skootin View Post
It's definitely worse on a scooter, but problem with scooters, imo they give a false sense of security. People think, eh, just a scooter. They are obviously a lot smaller, nimble for sure, but so slow. I have a vespa 300 gts, exhaust and bored out. It's fast for a scooter, but no comparison to either of my Ninjas.

I hadn't rode it in a month or so, and I hopped back on. Damn, so different. Felt so weird to me. I used to love that thing too. I just have no desire to take it anywhere, gym, local store, etc. I always want to hop on my ninja.

Scooters definitely aren't as safe and safety is hugely overlooked. Constantly "reminding" my girl, wear your safety gear. Florida, I'd say 85-90% don't wear gear on bikes, scooters it's got to be 95-99%. I was the only "idiot" with a Neotec 2, rev'it mesh jacket, gloves, full armor, and Rokker jeans while riding a scooter. A fast one, had it up to 72 gps on 95 after I bored her out. Only thing I overlooked at the time was proper motorcycle shoes.

This seems to be a universal thing with scooter riders. I've seen most wearing a half helmet and nothing else for safety. For some reason scooter riders don't seem to understand they're traveling at the same speeds as moto riders, and crashing a scooter is just as bad.
rcannon409 and skootin like this.
post #10 of 20 Old 07-11-2019, 05:48 AM

It's why I leave my high beams on during the day all of the time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page