Bike cover - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-21-2019, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Bike cover

I use my bike just once or twice a week. Though I have a basement parking, the bike tends to collect dust.

Any recommendations for a good bike cover? Have ordered the Oxford Racing Aquatex, any feedback or alternatives?
Rickifumi likes this.

Ride hard, ride safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-21-2019, 07:56 AM

Garage
One I thought that was neat is "The Bike Shield" maybe a little more than just a cover but worth a mention. Also saw a demo somewhere of "Seal Covers" and really liked the thickness of the cover and fleece lining. Looked like a quality product.
agurudev likes this.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-21-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agurudev View Post
I use my bike just once or twice a week. Though I have a basement parking, the bike tends to collect dust.

Any recommendations for a good bike cover? Have ordered the Oxford Racing Aquatex, any feedback or alternatives?

I personally find it much easier to clean dust off a motorcycle than removing the scratches a bike cover will leave on the shiny surfaces it comes in contact with... the fine dust is like sandpaper...
If you are still looking for one, then you should look at one that's more like a tent than the regular ones you see on Amazon/elsewhere... but that's just me...

What I did was to cover the painted surfaces with 3M paint protection film on the tank and a vinyl carbonfiber weave onto the high traffic parts of the fairing...
The tank was a pain to do in one piece because of the paint protection film being stubborn (and I did not want to use a heatgun for fear of compromising the adhesive). I ended up doing it as a 2-part.
Had to do it myself because the local 3M detailing shop would not do it...

That 3M film was worth the money... had a gloss just like the paint and is pretty hard wearing.. Unless you look closely you'd not know it's there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-21-2019, 01:32 PM

Dust

I just throw a large towel over the tank and windshield in the garage,...then remove the dust with Meguirs instant detailer when I remove the towel...works fine......
post #5 of 11 Old 06-21-2019, 03:30 PM

Just ride every day and dust buildup will be negligible. The downside is riding adds its own chips and dings so @ 62k miles I really don't care much about a little dust.

I do occasional wood working projects in the garage and like mrsand, toss a couple towels over the windscreen, tank, seat & tail.
agurudev likes this.

2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Seth Lamm Seat, Puig screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, LEDPerf H7C HID lights, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
post #6 of 11 Old 06-21-2019, 09:39 PM

I use an old fitted single cotton sheet on my bike in the home garage.
agurudev likes this.

-------------------
2016 Ninja 1000
2008 Suzuki GSX650F
post #7 of 11 Old 06-23-2019, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by naren View Post
I personally find it much easier to clean dust off a motorcycle than removing the scratches a bike cover will leave on the shiny surfaces it comes in contact with... the fine dust is like sandpaper...
If you are still looking for one, then you should look at one that's more like a tent than the regular ones you see on Amazon/elsewhere... but that's just me...

What I did was to cover the painted surfaces with 3M paint protection film on the tank and a vinyl carbonfiber weave onto the high traffic parts of the fairing...
The tank was a pain to do in one piece because of the paint protection film being stubborn (and I did not want to use a heatgun for fear of compromising the adhesive). I ended up doing it as a 2-part.
Had to do it myself because the local 3M detailing shop would not do it...

That 3M film was worth the money... had a gloss just like the paint and is pretty hard wearing.. Unless you look closely you'd not know it's there.
I think a cover that has heat resistance and the right deflection property will not create scratches. Lets see...

Ride hard, ride safe.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-10-2019, 11:09 AM

Agurudev, I'm also looking for a cover which packs super-small for road trips- have you checked out the Geza Gear products? Lots of fabric options (including solar reflective!), custom fitted, and excellent quality: GEZA GEAR | Stretch Fit Custom Motorcycle Covers
post #9 of 11 Old 09-10-2019, 11:24 AM

Easy, quick, and covers the top half which gets all the sun. Oxford Umbratex.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-10-2019, 11:36 AM

Also nice, but a looser fit. I suspect the Umbratex would flap more in winds, and not pack as small.

Last edited by Rickifumi; 09-10-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page