Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum

Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum (https://www.kawasakininja1000.com/forum/)
-   Ninja 1000 General Discussion (https://www.kawasakininja1000.com/forum/ninja-1000-general-discussion/)
-   -   Bike cover (https://www.kawasakininja1000.com/forum/ninja-1000-general-discussion/23528-bike-cover.html)

agurudev 06-21-2019 04:24 AM

Bike cover

I use my bike just once or twice a week. Though I have a basement parking, the bike tends to collect dust.

Any recommendations for a good bike cover? Have ordered the Oxford Racing Aquatex, any feedback or alternatives?

Avintage69 06-21-2019 07:56 AM

One I thought that was neat is "The Bike Shield" maybe a little more than just a cover but worth a mention. Also saw a demo somewhere of "Seal Covers" and really liked the thickness of the cover and fleece lining. Looked like a quality product.

naren 06-21-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agurudev (Post 368948)
I use my bike just once or twice a week. Though I have a basement parking, the bike tends to collect dust.

Any recommendations for a good bike cover? Have ordered the Oxford Racing Aquatex, any feedback or alternatives?

I personally find it much easier to clean dust off a motorcycle than removing the scratches a bike cover will leave on the shiny surfaces it comes in contact with... the fine dust is like sandpaper...
If you are still looking for one, then you should look at one that's more like a tent than the regular ones you see on Amazon/elsewhere... but that's just me...

What I did was to cover the painted surfaces with 3M paint protection film on the tank and a vinyl carbonfiber weave onto the high traffic parts of the fairing...
The tank was a pain to do in one piece because of the paint protection film being stubborn (and I did not want to use a heatgun for fear of compromising the adhesive). I ended up doing it as a 2-part.
Had to do it myself because the local 3M detailing shop would not do it...

That 3M film was worth the money... had a gloss just like the paint and is pretty hard wearing.. Unless you look closely you'd not know it's there.

mrsand 06-21-2019 01:32 PM

Dust

I just throw a large towel over the tank and windshield in the garage,...then remove the dust with Meguirs instant detailer when I remove the towel...works fine......

kenors 06-21-2019 03:30 PM

Just ride every day and dust buildup will be negligible. :) The downside is riding adds its own chips and dings so @ 62k miles I really don't care much about a little dust.

I do occasional wood working projects in the garage and like mrsand, toss a couple towels over the windscreen, tank, seat & tail.

Kawa-bunga 06-21-2019 09:39 PM

I use an old fitted single cotton sheet on my bike in the home garage.

agurudev 06-23-2019 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naren (Post 368972)
I personally find it much easier to clean dust off a motorcycle than removing the scratches a bike cover will leave on the shiny surfaces it comes in contact with... the fine dust is like sandpaper...
If you are still looking for one, then you should look at one that's more like a tent than the regular ones you see on Amazon/elsewhere... but that's just me...

What I did was to cover the painted surfaces with 3M paint protection film on the tank and a vinyl carbonfiber weave onto the high traffic parts of the fairing...
The tank was a pain to do in one piece because of the paint protection film being stubborn (and I did not want to use a heatgun for fear of compromising the adhesive). I ended up doing it as a 2-part.
Had to do it myself because the local 3M detailing shop would not do it...

That 3M film was worth the money... had a gloss just like the paint and is pretty hard wearing.. Unless you look closely you'd not know it's there.

I think a cover that has heat resistance and the right deflection property will not create scratches. Lets see...

Rickifumi 09-10-2019 11:09 AM

Agurudev, I'm also looking for a cover which packs super-small for road trips- have you checked out the Geza Gear products? Lots of fabric options (including solar reflective!), custom fitted, and excellent quality: GEZA GEAR | Stretch Fit Custom Motorcycle Covers

goatdriver 09-10-2019 11:24 AM

Easy, quick, and covers the top half which gets all the sun. Oxford Umbratex.

Rickifumi 09-10-2019 11:36 AM

Also nice, but a looser fit. I suspect the Umbratex would flap more in winds, and not pack as small.