Power mode: Full vs Low - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-19-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Power mode: Full vs Low

Having done about 200 miles on my new Ninja1000 I don't find too much of a difference between the two power modes.. both in traffic and out on the highway... Wondering if this is a general feeling amongst most?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-19-2019, 04:13 PM

Welcome!

A lot of the new bikes will have different power modes available. If the bike uses ride by wire technology, the ecu controls the throttle bodies it is completely possible to have the power modes behave very differently. This makes it easy to add cruise control, or dial in throttle response in a very different manner.

We don't have a system like that so the power modes really cannot be much different from each other. This chart shows what you will feel between the modes. You can see that there is no difference up until about half throttle. At that point you can see how the soft mode holds it back. I'm not exactly sure how Kawasaki does this. Looking at the chart I THINK they are holding the secondary throttle bodies shut or not allowing them to fully open. This would limit top end power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg index.jpg (6.5 KB, 41 views)
post #3 of 7 Old 05-19-2019, 04:42 PM

Garage
Welcome aboard
While breaking the bike in I didn't feel a difference either, wasn't even real sure were I would fell it or how much.
After break in though at full throttle in 3rd up I could fell it. It's not a life altering amount though, lets say something like a 25% reduction.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-20-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a bunch for the help guys. @rcannon409 what you say makes a lot of sense. Also, great chart 👍 @Avintage69 thanks for sharing your experience. Immensely helpful.🤘
post #5 of 7 Old 05-27-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
Welcome!

A lot of the new bikes will have different power modes available. If the bike uses ride by wire technology, the ecu controls the throttle bodies it is completely possible to have the power modes behave very differently. This makes it easy to add cruise control, or dial in throttle response in a very different manner.

We don't have a system like that so the power modes really cannot be much different from each other. This chart shows what you will feel between the modes. You can see that there is no difference up until about half throttle. At that point you can see how the soft mode holds it back. I'm not exactly sure how Kawasaki does this. Looking at the chart I THINK they are holding the secondary throttle bodies shut or not allowing them to fully open. This would limit top end power.
this is quite true, This weekend I topped out my bike again in full power and I got 150mph, then I tried low mode and I got 133mph topped out, so yeah, throttle body secondary limited....
post #6 of 7 Old 09-09-2019, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil View Post
Having done about 200 miles on my new Ninja1000 I don't find too much of a difference between the two power modes.. both in traffic and out on the highway... Wondering if this is a general feeling amongst most?
Found this on Kawasaki's UK website.

Power modes offer riders an easily selectable choice between Full and Low Power. While Full Power is unrestricted, in Low Power mode maximum power is limited to approximately 75-80% of Full. Response is also milder in Low Power mode. Riders may opt to use Low Power mode for rainy conditions or city riding, and Full Power when sport riding.

I have noticed on my 2017 model when in Low power mode, the throttle is much smoother which is better for city traffic and at slower speeds. Full power is best I find when riding spiritedly.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-09-2019, 08:14 AM

Garage
You can also feel a diff when you switch between the KTRC modes. Try F power with KTRC at 1.

Ride hard, ride safe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page