Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3 - any experience with this tyre? - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 05-15-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3 - any experience with this tyre?

Itís time to replace tyres (neeí tires ) on my Ninja. Iíve run the Metzeler M7RR and Michelin Pilot Power 3 tyres so far on my bike. Am happy with both these. In addition Iíve used Pirelli Angel GTís too. Now Iím in the mood to try a different rubber (front and rear) and am looking at the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3 tyres. I could also try the Metzeler Roadtec 01 but having used the sportier M7RR I see no point in using the Roadtec 01. We donít get the Dunlop Q3+ here, unfortunately. So given the restricted spectrum, Iím inclined towards the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3.

I ride aggressively (tyre life matters but itís not the primary consideration), with a mix of twisties and highway runs. Iím sensitive to tyre profile and how it affects leaning; Iím looking for a tyre with linear turn-in; dry and wet grip (who doesnít? Lol!); reasonable feedback and feel; stability under hard braking; quick warm up... letís see, have I got my complete wish list there? Lol!

Any first hand experience with the Diablo Rosso 3 will be greatly appreciated.

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
G&G Moto2 exhaust cans + Akrapovic exhaust header
Rapid Bike Evo fuel controller + YouTune
BMC filter
Traxxion Dynamics front forks kit + Penske shock
Hyperpro RSC Steering Damper
Rotobox Carbon Fibre 300ST Wheels
Brembo 19RCS Corsa Corta master cylinder
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Baja S2 Pro auxiliary lights
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-15-2019, 04:31 PM

Im following along, and looking at both of those tires myself. Heres what I wonder about....This tire looks like a more aggressive version of the AGT..I know its more than that, but....The reviews and tests of this tire are very much racetrack oriented. I dont know if there is enough extra I can take advantage of vs the longer life that the agt will have?

To make myself even more confused did you see the AGT 2? https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/...et/angel-gt-ii

I dont like the look of the front tire, but I could probably get used to it. I feel like all these tires get better then they move up a generation. Are you/I /we better off with this 2019 designed tire?

Bikram I have to say this, but that AGT2 might last forever...in fact, tread may grow on it when I park the bike..money might fly out of the valve stem when I check the air pressure....yes it can do all that and im still not buying that front tire because of the way it looks...Thats stupid, its probably a great tire.

I like the ad. It looks like the guy is escaping from a concentration camp but then appears in that tunnel under LAX's runway???? I see that we dont need wings to go everywhere which is great, but the tire is covered in pirelli wings?

2012 Ninja 1000
post #3 of 20 Old 05-15-2019, 05:47 PM

Bikram,

Shame that you can not get the Dunlop Q3 Plus where you are as it is an excellent performance tire. I have not tried the Rosso 3, but I have tried the Rosso Corsa 2 and it is the best street sport tire I have used......ever.....period. It can be a little confusing because they make a Rosso and also a Rosso Corsa. The Rosso has had three generations and the Rosso Corsa has two.

The Rosso Corsa 2 has a triple compound rear with carbon black on the outermost portion and the front is a dual compound. Turn in is quick with this tire but not so much that is feels nervous. The front tire inspires tons of confidence on corner entry and overall cornering grip is good enough you could run these at an advanced pace on the track. I ride them pretty hard and the rear is done at about 1700 ~ 1800 miles. Front can just about make it through two rears but not quite. Superb tire. I ran these at 33/38 tire pressure and the worked great. Gripped the asphalt like a cat on the carpet.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2015 30th Anniversary ZX6R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 05-15-2019, 07:51 PM

Johnny, under similar conditions, do the Q3's last longer than the rosso corsa 2.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #5 of 20 Old 05-16-2019, 01:05 AM

Bikram, I put the Diablo Rosso IIIs on a 2017 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory for its cold and damp weather break-in miles. It was good overall, but without any exceptional strengths. The front tire required some degree of faith to push because it provided more grip than it did traction feedback. How that tire would work on a Ninja 1000 I don't know.

What I can say is the Metzeler M7RR gives me more confidence to push on the N1K than did the Pirellis on the Tuono Factory. I really enjoy the M7RR's compliance on poorly surfaced roads. I have no plans to swap 'em out for another tire come the next swaps.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-16-2019, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Ricki, thank you for your inputs, I respect and appreciate your thoughts on the tyre. I really enjoyed using the M7RR but there was one quirk which has held me back in going for a second set - I often felt that on low speed turns the front tyre wasnít very linear to tip-in. It would fall-in from mid-lean to say 3/4 lean in a non-progressive manner. Somewhat abrupt and even disconcerting at times. But this was only on slow speed corners. On a flowing road the M7RR is gold.

It seems to me that the front tyre has a peaky profile which leads to less-than-linear turn-in on slow speed turns. I could be overly sensitive to this, perhaps! Since then I have changed my suspension set-up and tuned it to my liking so maybe a second stint on the M7RR is required to clear this little gremlin in the mind!

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
BMC filter
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard
post #7 of 20 Old 05-16-2019, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

@RC, thank you for the humour on the AGT 2, I enjoyed that!

@John, thank you for your feedback on the Rosso Corsa 2, I like what you wrote about it. I think Iíll buy a set and store it for the day I hit the track!

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
BMC filter
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard
post #8 of 20 Old 05-16-2019, 07:18 AM

Hey RC......I go through a set of Q3 Plus at about the same rate as I do the RC3. Might get an extra 100 or so miles out of the Q3 Plus but nothing significant. Also worth note is the RC2 has a slightly steeper profile and turn in is a bit quicker. The RC2 is a bit more expensive as Pirellis tend to be. Got a set of the Q3 Plus with the rebate but will go back to the RC2 once they are done.

Try a set and let us know what you think!

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2015 30th Anniversary ZX6R.
post #9 of 20 Old 05-16-2019, 08:31 AM

Johnny, I will try a set of...and that's where I get stuck. So many have said good things about the q3 that it's going to be hard to pass on those. The price is good, and the lifespan sounds reasonable.

The sad part is I'll wonder how good the AGT 2 might have been.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #10 of 20 Old 05-16-2019, 12:46 PM

Tires

I am now on my second set of AGT's. (good traction and wear on dry roads). I am a fairly conservative rider so I really cannot speak to burning up curves although I enjoy moving briskly. I decided to change manufacturers and ordered a set of Bridgestone S22's for whenever its time to replace.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page