Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3 - any experience with this tyre? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 Old 05-17-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
Johnny, I will try a set of...and that's where I get stuck. So many have said good things about the q3 that it's going to be hard to pass on those. The price is good, and the lifespan sounds reasonable.

The sad part is I'll wonder how good the AGT 2 might have been.

I hear you. As long as they have the rebate I would get the Q3 Plus. At regular prices I like the RC2. The good thing is you can not go wrong with either!

Wish Pirelli offered a competitive rebate!!
rcannon409 likes this.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 Old 05-17-2019, 10:40 AM

I wonder if there is anything to how new the tire design is? The agt 2 is just released and some of the tires we are talking about are 3 or 4 yrs old. I wonder if its worth looking more towards the new designs? Then again, I'm not sure the Michelin pr 3 4 or 5 is any better than their old pr2 .

That agt 2 is way more expensive than the agt 1. Closer to 360.00 for a set, mail order.
post #13 of 37 Old 05-17-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikram View Post
Ricki, thank you for your inputs, I respect and appreciate your thoughts on the tyre. I really enjoyed using the M7RR but there was one quirk which has held me back in going for a second set - I often felt that on low speed turns the front tyre wasn’t very linear to tip-in. It would fall-in from mid-lean to say 3/4 lean in a non-progressive manner. Somewhat abrupt and even disconcerting at times. But this was only on slow speed corners. On a flowing road the M7RR is gold.

It seems to me that the front tyre has a peaky profile which leads to less-than-linear turn-in on slow speed turns. I could be overly sensitive to this, perhaps! Since then I have changed my suspension set-up and tuned it to my liking so maybe a second stint on the M7RR is required to clear this little gremlin in the mind!
My thoughts on the M7 were the same as yours when I tried them on my '08 GSXR 1000. Really nice at corners with some speed, too easy to drop in the slow stuff. I couldn't quite eliminate that, even after fiddling with the geometry.

I teach motorcycle safety classes where we have to make slow, tight turns in parking lots, or tight hairpin turns on a go-cart track. Add a passenger on the cart track and tires with a somewhat peaky profile make it even harder to modulate tip-in and lean angle at lower speeds.

I ran the various versions of Pirelli's street/track tire (used to be a partner in a track group) for all of my riding for about a decade.

After getting out of all the track stuff, I decided to try something other than my beloved Rosso Corsas. Awesome tire, but I was looking to try something that had better grip in cooler/wet conditions, offered greater mileage, and transitioned into slow corners more gradually. I'd typically get 2000-3000 street/track miles out of the RC on a GSXR 1000. An extra rear wheel helped get maximum miles - after three days of track days, I'd make that my street tire.

The previous Angel GT worked great on my GSXR 1000 on the street. I managed to get 5500 miles on a set before needing to replace them for something fresher for a trip - could have squeezed just a little more out of them.

Two years ago I participated in a track session during the local race org's lunch hour. The lead control rider in front of me took off like a mad man on a Tuono with cold Angel GTs - a solid, slow intermediate group track day pace. We had riders who'd never been on the track before. What happened to taking it easy for a few laps? ;-)

The Rosso Corsas on my GSXR 1000 at the time were warning me to ease off until they gained more heat. Not quite fully sliding, but not hooked up. They needed a couple of laps before I could start pushing enough to match the control rider's pace.

That day showed me that I don't need more grip on the street than what a sport touring tire like the Angel GT offers, and that tires like that are a better choice in less than ideal conditions. It's more down to feedback and handling characteristic preferences. That said, I'd sure like to try to the Diablo Rosso Corsa II for scratching around in the summer!

I'll try the Angel GT II sometime, but for now, the Rosso 3s have been my favorite all around street tire. They warm up fast, are good in the wet/cool, and offer neutral handling (better feel than the Angels GTs, for me).

I managed about 3500-4000 miles of mostly twisties out of an earlier set of Rosso 3s, and I have around 2700 miles on the set that's on my Ninja now with plenty of tread left.

Except for the '14 Ninja's stock Bridgestones (didn't like them all that much) and the one set of M7s, I've been only been on Pirellis for the last 15+ years, so I can't compare them to the other brands.
rcannon409 and Johnmark101 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 37 Old 05-17-2019, 10:45 PM

That's a good post, and great point about a tire needing heat to work properly. That's not very safe if a person needs 5 or 10 miles to get the tire up to temp, is it?

Its also interesting to see how many of us hate the triangle profile. My pp3 was terrible for that, when new. At 1500 miles, its wearing down enough to feel somewhat normal.

Does the q3 have that triangle feel, or is it more natural, rounded feeling?
post #15 of 37 Old 05-18-2019, 09:10 AM

Motonut……..have to agree with you that the available ST tires provide plenty of grip for the street. I switch back and forth between ST and sport tires on occasion depending on if I have a road trip planned where I am gone for a few days in changeable weather conditions. But there is nothing quite as fun as the feel and feedback of a good sport tire and knowing that you have a surfeit of grip available!

Rcannon…...in my opinion the Q3 Plus turns in nicely and I would not describe it as feeling triangular. The Rosso Corsa 2 steers more quickly and does tip in a little quickly in slow speed corners or parking lot maneuvers, but once underway feels great.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
post #16 of 37 Old 05-18-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmark101 View Post
I have not tried the Rosso 3, but I have tried the Rosso Corsa 2 and it is the best street sport tire I have used......ever.....period. It can be a little confusing because they make a Rosso and also a Rosso Corsa. The Rosso has had three generations and the Rosso Corsa has two.
This confused me too. I had the Rosso III's on my bike. Great tires, not good rain tires though. Generally designed as a tire to be half way between supercorsa SP's and Rosso II's. Or to put it a different way, supercorsa's that actually had some tire life to them.

I have no idea what the Rosso Corsa 2's are about. And I have to wonder WTF Pirelli needs all these models of tires on the market for.
rcannon409 likes this.
post #17 of 37 Old 05-18-2019, 11:53 AM

Pirelli has a lock-up where you enter your bike and it shows you the available tires for it,. I used a 2010 z1000 as I did not look hard enough to find the ninja.

Five different tires. The only one missing was the AGT. It looks like the AGT2 replaced it. That list includes one strange, offroad-ish tire. I agree. Four is excessive.
I know that it's more than 4, to, because of blackstock. I'm sure I could find 7-8 models for sale in a 190/50.

I think people can get pretty resistant to change, with regards to tires. They are probably afraid of sending a customer away because their specific tire is gone. I get that, but it also turns off new people because with five offerings, it gives that illusion that a bad choice is also being offered.

It's funny, really. Any of us ( i think) would be happy with tire that have excellent grip and lasted 8000 miles.
post #18 of 37 Old 05-18-2019, 10:03 PM

Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsand View Post
I am now on my second set of AGT's. (good traction and wear on dry roads). I am a fairly conservative rider so I really cannot speak to burning up curves although I enjoy moving briskly. I decided to change manufacturers and ordered a set of Bridgestone S22's for whenever its time to replace.

My tires were delivered today from Rocky Mountain...... Bridgestone Battlaxe Hypersport S-22s...190-55ZR-17 & 120-70ZR-17. 136 and 109 dollars---not bad. The tires came wrapped up in selaphane and smelled fresh. Made in Japan. I looked for the date of manufacture and the only thing I found was a 2012 number that resembled a year. These tire looked and smelled fresh, even had the whiskers. They sure don't seem to be 6 years old.
post #19 of 37 Old 05-18-2019, 10:12 PM

I'm with you @rcannon409, I don't like the look of the front tire. So much so I started looking around. As I started to do some more research I found that Pirreli was bought out in 2015 by a China State owned company, ChemChina. Users have reported that the new Angle GT II's are being made in China.

I've run seven sets of the Angle GT's and my current set is still made in Germany. I've loved them, and like you mentioned I am resistant to change, but I can't justify this kind of money going to China on a regular basis. It would be by far my largest Chinese purchase, and would be an ongoing one.

I tried the Michelin Road 5 and I liked it fine except for it's performance over Tar Snakes, which my area is swarming with.

What else should I be looking at?
post #20 of 37 Old 05-18-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsand View Post
My tires were delivered today from Rocky Mountain...... Bridgestone Battlaxe Hypersport S-22s...190-55ZR-17 & 120-70ZR-17. 136 and 109 dollars---not bad. The tires came wrapped up in selaphane and smelled fresh. Made in Japan. I looked for the date of manufacture and the only thing I found was a 2012 number that resembled a year. These tire looked and smelled fresh, even had the whiskers. They sure don't seem to be 6 years old.
I'd be furious if I bought tires and they were from 2012. I wouldn't even mount them. They are garbage. Get your money back if they are from 2012. Are you sure they are? The first two numbers represent the week, and the second pair indicates the year.

On the other hand... when you buy severely discounted tires, rest assured they are discounted because they are old. I ask a tire's age before I buy. If they won't tell me, usually due to laziness and not wanting to go out to the warehouse to look at date codes, I will then ask when the last batch was ordered. Usually they can look that up in their computer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page