• 1 Post By OCLandspeeder
  • 1 Post By OCLandspeeder
  • 1 Post By Ungarisch
  • 1 Post By tyrmeltr

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-03-2019, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
57x

Who is in greater LA? Wanna ride?

I'm planning on coming down Saturday to pick up my new to me MV. Any fun roads? I'm planning to go to visit a friend in Calabasas in the morning, pick up my bike after in OC and find some place to ride in the afternoon. What is fun down there? I've chased cops on Mulholland (sp) to the Rock Store with all the Ducati posers. Blah....... I'd rather just find some nice roads. Anyone with time to burn?
rcannon409 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-03-2019, 01:40 AM

Garage
In L.A. but unfortunately no time to burn. Congrats on the MV. I look forward to seeing pics.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-03-2019, 12:11 PM

If you're in the OC and plan to ride back north, there are two places you can visit that's NOT Malibu:

1) Azusa Highway 39 to Crystal Lake. Take the 57 North to the 210 East and exit towards Azusa. Google Map "Crystal Lake" for exact directions. Truly a pleasant ride at high elevation with super smooth roads.

2) Angeles Crest Highway to Angeles Forest Highway. This is north east of Los Angeles on the 210, exit Highway 2 to Angeles Crest Highway make a right. After about 5 miles, make a left on Angeles Forest Highway (Hwy 2 closes not far from this left turn to AFH). AFH is a wonderful, fast, smooth road that's usually devoid of traffic especially late Saturday afternoon. Great for Italian bikes or powerful Ninjas. LOL!

Unfortunately I can't join you this Sat due to previous commitments. If it's Sunday you can join me to Palomar Mountain/Borrego Springs.
tyrmeltr likes this.

Last edited by OCLandspeeder; 05-03-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-03-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
57x

Work has me delayed. It now looks like Thursday or Friday. I'm caging it down as this is a trade not a purchase. I have always wanted to do Angels Crest.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-03-2019, 05:18 PM

57x, compared to your Central Coast Angeles Crest Highway isn't bad at all. Unfortunately, part of it is closed from land slides and will not open until who knows when. Otherwise it's about 50 miles of non-stop twisties from the foothills of Los Angeles to the San Bernardino mountains to the East.

Having said that, Highway 33 is comparable to it. I still think the Central Coast is the best due to a lack of urbanization and general users of the road. On late weekend mornings and early afternoon Angeles Crest is a zoo.
tyrmeltr likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-03-2019, 06:25 PM

Garage
+1 on Palomar...

Here's another Legendary SoCal road:

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north...a-highway.html

Speed Thrills.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-03-2019, 06:44 PM

Motoman, WAS legendary.

Today it is a wonderful road ONLY before 8:30 AM on weekends. After that it's an exercise in frustration behind commuters and sightseers. They all have a right to the road but it's just too crowded now. I'm 10 minutes away and I avoid it after 8AM.
tyrmeltr likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-13-2019, 06:34 PM

not sure if you came down here already or not, but for bikes the size of ours, I highly recommend Angeles Forest Highway starting from the 14 freeway off ramp to Angeles Crest. Going that direction is probably 1/2 the number of cars as opposed to coming from Angeles Crest side because most people are going up the crest to the observatory.

My typical router is: Take 14 FWY to Angeles Forest Highway, take that to Upper Big Tujunga junction, take that to upper section Angeles Crest post closure, then that to Newcombs ranch for coffee. Follow same route back but once you hit Angeles Forest Highway, make a left towards Angeles Crest instead of right back towards the 14. Once you hit Angeles Crest, make a right come take the crest down to La Canada.

The section of Angeles Forest Highway between Upper Big Tujunga junction and Angeles Crest junction, is in my opinion one of the best roads in all of so cal, the corners just flow like water and great elevation changes, with perfectly paved roads and little to no debris.

I live closer to Mulholland, but still prefer AFH of a 500lbs bike. On my supermoto however, nothing beats Decker canyon and Latigo in Malibu (off Mulholland). The snake and Rock Store is closed off due to fires, and even when it was open, it was full of "exotic car" aholes and super-squidz... Stopped going there in the early 2010s...
tyrmeltr likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-14-2019, 11:04 AM

There are quite a lot of A-holes in Exotic cars on ACH and AFH too. They are just as dangerous as the army of squidz that descend on that area on weekends. But I agree. Angeles Forest Highway is one of the best in that area. One can go REALLY fast there. Hence the Exotic Car magnet.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-14-2019, 12:22 PM

Garage
Malibu is great, just depends on when you go. Those are my backyard roads. I was ditching classes almost every day back when I went to Santa Monica high school with coke cans duct taped to my knees for knee sliders almost 30 years ago. Would take of after 2nd period, ride up Fernwood, Saddle Peak, down Piuma, to La Virgenes, the PCH to Latigo, Latigo to Kanan, down the Snake continuing on to Mulholland up Cold Canyon, up Piuma, to Schuren/Saddle Peak then down Tuna (always with the engine off) then PCH back to school. Would always make it back before 5th period English class. It was like my own private race track nobody was there.

Up Latigo and up Piuma are my favorite roads period. No amount of skill makes up for knowing every turn bump and crack and dirty spot on those roads and I love the technical nature. Bike like the Ninja 1000 you can just leave it in 2nd or 3rd and it's like a big scooter. The Crest, 9 mile, even all the way out to the 33 all just way too much time knee down over 100 (if you're doing it right) and if something goes wrong it's gonna be so much worse that tucking the front end at 45 on a tight canyon. My last crash going really fast was at Fontana going over 150mph and the track was probably the only place you're gonna walk away from something like that.
SoCalN1K likes this.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page