Occasional 1st gear grinding noise on take-off? - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-24-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Occasional 1st gear grinding noise on take-off?

On occasion, when modulating the clutch on take-off, I would get a little grinding noise. Is that the traction control? I thought maybe clutch but since I only have 21k mi on it, seems unlikely. I guess I should run with traction control off and see if I can still replicate it.

Anyone else had that happen? It's pretty much always done it but seems a little more frequent lately?!

Typically happens when taking off but the guy in front of you doesn't move fast enough, so you pull the clutch (lever) back in and let out again; that's when it would happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-24-2019, 08:40 PM

If you were to take this apart, I'll bet you will find dry clutch plates. Ater 21k, maybe worn plates. That goes together as the dry plates run hot and then wear more easily.

An easy way to diagnostic this would be to lean your bike over on the clutch side. Give it a minute, or so, and see if you can work some of that oil into the clutch pack. Now, see if the noise is better. If it is, you have your answer. If you Google, "ninja 1000 clutch fix" you will find a lot of discussion, and some ideas on how to fix this. I dont remember what year your bike is...was it a 2015?

2012 Ninja 1000
post #3 of 13 Old 04-24-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Mine's a 2014. I did have the clutch basket drilled pretty early on though because the clutch would indeed run pretty dry and stick when not fully warmed up. That problem went away after drilling the basket.

I feel like it may be the traction control being oversensitive because gear changes are smooth otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-24-2019, 09:31 PM

My clutch used to make a sound on take off if I took off slow, kind of like a slipping sound, but for some reason when I put on a new clutch cable I haven’t herd the noise sense, have you ever replaced your clutch cable?

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
post #5 of 13 Old 04-24-2019, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark59 View Post
My clutch used to make a sound on take off if I took off slow, kind of like a slipping sound, but for some reason when I put on a new clutch cable I havenít herd the noise sense, have you ever replaced your clutch cable?
Sounds very similar! When I take off and don't give it enough throttle and almost stall it and then compensate with more throttle, it would do it as well. Kinda hard to explain but you get the idea (I hope ).

Clutch cable is still original but I did have it cleaned and lubed recently; it was starting to stick a bit. Feels great again now.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-24-2019, 11:17 PM

Maybe adjust the clutch cable to the correct play at the lever?

I had a similar issue with a Buell with a clutch cable. I adjusted the cable and it went away.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-24-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCLandspeeder View Post
Maybe adjust the clutch cable to the correct play at the lever?

I had a similar issue with a Buell with a clutch cable. I adjusted the cable and it went away.
Clutch cable play is correct.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-25-2019, 09:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by luciano136 View Post
On occasion, when modulating the clutch on take-off, I would get a little grinding noise.
Describing it as a grinding noise???
Would you also describe it as a vibrating, slipping/fluttering with a oscillating sort of deep whirring noise coming from the clutch side?

If it's the TC system engauging I would think you will see a flashing TC light if it last for more than a second.
Ishikawa likes this.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/38000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-25-2019, 04:36 PM

I would suggest replacing the clutch cable, they are cheap, mine was shot at 12,000 miles, also I had a little noise in the clutch you could here when sitting still just cycling the clutch lever in and out, that disappeared to after the cable replacement.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
post #10 of 13 Old 04-25-2019, 05:22 PM

@luciano136 I believe I've frequently heard the sound your talking about. It used to happen a lot when my clutch cable was adjusted on the tighter side. I let a service tech try it and he immediately said he never has his own cables that tight. Since then I've adjusted it a bit less tight and make sure the play on the lever is around 1/8"

I don't hear the sound as much now, but once in a while it happens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page