Tire wear. Change one or both?? - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 04-09-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Tire wear. Change one or both??

As is the case with most riders, I wear out the rear tire before the front. By the time the rear is done the front is usually more than half gone so I can't run two rears to one front. I have been changing them in sets, getting new front and rear once the rear is shot. I hate throwing out a front tire that still has some useful life left. These darn things are ridiculously expensive to begin with!!

Think I am going to start replacing tires as they wear from now on. Curious as to what most of us here on the forum do in the way of replacing worn tires.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2015 30th Anniversary ZX6R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-09-2019, 12:27 PM

My norm is to start the season on new front and rear and put on a new rear around mid season.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-09-2019, 01:02 PM

It depends on what kind of riding I'll be doing- for example, a front tire that is no longer optimum for attacking backroads or trackdays can still be good for a long roadtrip. Similarly, I tend to do the sportier pleasure rides on fresh tires, and save those longer travels for later on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-09-2019, 01:04 PM

Garage
While staying with same brand and model replacing one at a time is exactly what I do and I've heard no reports with enough evidence backing it to make me change my mind when running through 3 or 4 tires a year. When changing brand or model though I switch them both.
Why? Not a clue...... other then fear of some unknown something or another causing the bike to start talking to me, and even worse...... it makes me answer back. LOL
At the moment my front AGT has 6700 and the rear 1400.
Best regards
Kenneth

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/38000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-09-2019, 02:59 PM

I think we worry about this, too much. People run car tires on the motorcycles, using the same sized rim we have. I really dont recall any of them having issues doing that.. new and old combo is miles ahead of that.
jTorge likes this.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #6 of 19 Old 04-09-2019, 03:55 PM

When a set of moto tires is cheaper than a single tire for my truck I tend not to worry about replacing both at the same time. I also don't ride nearly as much as a lot of you all. I guess if I was going through 2+ sets a year it'd be different.

2011 N1K Black/Green
Custom 3D Printed Designs Here!
Custom 3D Printed Discussion Here!
post #7 of 19 Old 04-09-2019, 04:07 PM
57x

I tended to wear out the front and rear at the same time on my N1K, and so does my girlfriend on her N1K. I just put on my third set of tires on the H2 SX and the same happens there. I never saw the need to change both at the same time on other bikes and would change one at a time as long as I stayed with the same brand and model. I still bought in pairs on sale, and just stored the other tire until I needed it.

I got lucky and found a tire machine cheap last year. It has already almost paid for itself with two sets on the H2 SX, one set on my girlfriend's, one set for my Z750S, one set for my GSXR1000 track bike and one set for her R3 track bike. I'll be installing a set of tires soon on my Russell bike.

I bought three sets of tires this year since they were so cheap. I have several long distant trips on the calendar this year. I will burn these up fairly easy.
jr_tx likes this.
post #8 of 19 Old 04-09-2019, 09:22 PM

I change both at the same time when I see my rear is already close to getting worn out.
I then sell my set of used tires for $150-$175 on CL and they sell really fast especially for 190/55.
I also get a rebate on Dunlop Q3's. The road hazard insurance from cyclegear is considered a service which bumps it to $50 rebate.

At this rate, I only added a few more bucks for a new.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-09-2019, 09:35 PM

"I tended to wear out the front and rear at the same time on my N1K, and so does my girlfriend on her N1K. I just put on my third set of tires on the H2 SX and the same happens there. I never saw the need to change both at the same time on other bikes and would change one at a time as long as I stayed with the same brand and model. I still bought in pairs on sale, and just stored the other tire until I needed it."

I do the same............
post #10 of 19 Old 04-09-2019, 09:48 PM

I replace front and rear at the same time. Twice a year.

Could probably leave the front tires on a bit longer, but then I'd be going to the tire shop twice as many times (and have to remember which was changed when lol).
First ride on a new set confirms that was the right choice for me, every time.

My best advice, do what you're comfortable with. And enjoy the ride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in