FJR1300 vs N1K - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 04-03-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

FJR1300 vs N1K

Anyone ever transition from an FJR1300 to a Ninja 1000 or vice versa? If so, why and what did you see as advantages/disadvantages for your decision.
Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 04-03-2019, 03:34 PM

I've ridden the fjr, and its like a less powerful, and less sporting concours 14. Both are ancient. Yamaha has made that same basic bike since 2001. Its seen small upgrades, but it's an 01 bike. The Kawasaki is at least 5 yrs newer.

You can look at power figures and weights, but that's not the story . You can't measure the smoothness and refinement that those two touring bikes have. They carry passengers like you cant believe.

Neither really compare to the ninja. The ninja is a small, naked bike that kawasaki slapped a small fairing on. Somehow that placed it into the touring bike category. Not that you cant tour on it, but compared to an fjr, it's doing it the hard way.

I dont like either one, much, even though I have one. For me, both reach that level of making me wonder why in not in a car.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #3 of 35 Old 04-03-2019, 09:01 PM

You know, a short way to say my thoughts would have been to say it's not a "vs" situation, it's an "in addition to" a the bikes are all so good, with no serious faults. It's not fair to criticize a big, heavy touring bike for being large, or a smaller, lighter bike for not being very comfortable.

2012 Ninja 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 04-04-2019, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

I should've added my reason for asking but was looking for some general thoughts.

As much as I've enjoyed my modded N1K these past 7 years, my 15 yr. old daughter has recently expressed an interest in riding w/me. I don't care what anyone says, the N1K is not a good passenger bike, especially if you're... mmmm... beefy, like me. So I started shopping and narrowed my search to the Versys 1000, the FJR1300 and for an oddball selection and the only HD product I've ever really liked, the Sportster XL1200T. Let me also clarify I almost never buy new bikes so a bike like Yamaha's Tracer 900 GT is not under any consideration.

I recently test-sat a V1K and while it seems like a nice bike, it only fit me slightly better than my modded N1K. I'm quite certain, however, that it would accomodate my daughter far better than the N1K, w/a it's larger, broader flatter seat. I've also like the FJR, especially since they added cruise control on their '14 & up models and the FJR is definitely a 2-up bike. Lots of advantages to owning an FJR but that 650 lb. weight concerns me. Then there's the XL1200T, which to me, is a truly elemental motorcycle. Never owned an HD in my 40+ years of riding but have test ridden this model and honestly found it a charming ride. Underpowered yes, offering nowhere near the performance or amentities I've become accustomed to on Japanese bikes but a truly charming ride, one that brought a smile to my face. And it too will nicely accomodate my daughter w/its seating.

At this point, I've pretty much eliminated the V1K from consideration. It's just too close to my N1K and frankly, I like the Versys 650 LT model even better (altho that too is not a 2-up bike.) So choices under consideration are narrowed to the FJR and XL1200T.

If I had my druthers, I'd own more than one bike but I simply cannot justify multiple bike ownership and I'm left w/trying to figure out what to do, that is, if I do anything. My daughter knows how much I enjoy my N1K and has told me she'd prefer I not sell it, even if it means her not riding w/me. But I also figure I've got about another year w/her before I lose her to 'boys' and other distractions and would like to have this time w/her. I can always sell a bike and buy another, right?

Ah well, 'first world' issues.

Last edited by spectreman; 04-04-2019 at 06:30 AM.
post #5 of 35 Old 04-04-2019, 07:20 AM

A friend allowed me to ride his FJR and I quite liked it. I thought to myself if my wife would ride with me I would probably have one if these. At a more relaxed pace I really like the big windscreen, comfortable seat and ergonomics and smooth torquey engine. It actually handled well considering the weight of the bike.

I am not a hater, but would avoid anything from Harley Davidson. Their build quality and reliability is mid pack compared to other brands and I can not logically justify buying what I consider antiquated design, engineering and performance for the same or even more money. The only way I would own a Harley is if I had something else to ride often and the Harley as a weekend bike for local rides.
rcannon409 likes this.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2015 30th Anniversary ZX6R.
post #6 of 35 Old 04-04-2019, 09:02 AM

The concours 14 has a high Cg. Kawasaki did that for better, faster handling. The fjr is not like that. The weight is there, but it does not feel heavy. If you are ok on your ninja, the fjr will be a non issue.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #7 of 35 Old 04-04-2019, 10:23 AM

I've ridden FJR's and I've owned a Concours 14. No comparison. The FJR is slow AF and I find the weight bias too far towards the rear. C14 wins hands down.
post #8 of 35 Old 04-04-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, there's no C14 in my future, ever.
post #9 of 35 Old 04-04-2019, 11:31 AM

Garage
Never much of a HD fan b/c they are so heavy. I also have a 2000 Buell which uses a sportster 1200 engine, with more power, and bike weighs about 100 lbs less. Oddly, with the select seat it is one of the most comfortable I've ever sat on. I prefer the look and size of the Sportster compared to most HDs but I would not consider one for 2 up riding. It's almost 600 lbs and only 5 speed. You will constantly be looking for a 6th gear on the highway. Baker makes a 6 sp for it but that's $2-3k.

If I was to buy a cruiser, it would likely be an Indian or maybe Triumph.

The Yamaha Tracer is just the new/international name. It was previously called FJ-09 in the states and been out several years. That's actually what I was looking for but just above my budget at the time. Still kind of wish I had waited and bought one.
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...-09-5006999431

Some's review on the H2 SX: https://www.kawasakininja1000.com/fo...-h2-sx-se.html
post #10 of 35 Old 04-04-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

By all reports, the Tracer 900 GT has corrected the issues associated w/the FJ09; either way, not interested in that bike as a 2-up ride. No H2SX or Indian either. I have looked at a few Triumphs but have eliminated them from consideration too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page