Attention Utah Members - Page 4 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 45 Old 03-28-2019, 08:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenors View Post
Nah, he's a better rider than that.

And don't forget Seattle, fast becoming the gridlock capitol of the USA!

And what RC described at stoplights is almost the only lane splitting I did when I was in California. I say almost because when the freeways were blocked and nearly stopped it also seemed safe enough. Guys who live there lane split at 85 when traffic is moving 55-60. Too scary for me.
I'm from NY and we have some pretty hectic traffic, but when I was in California I got very nervous on the highways. I think it was 5 lanes, and bikes were just cruising in between like you say at 85+ mph effectively making it like 9 lanes. I'm all for it, but that takes a bit to get used to.

She's in surgery...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 03-28-2019, 08:29 PM
57x

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
Zaph, I drive a Ford f350 around all day. Weather is just getting to the point where riding is possible. I'm going to split my first lane on Saturday! Now then...The mirrors I have are way too wide. I need to remove the spacers. Otherwise, I'm ready.
You're gonna lane split with an F350 and you're worried about the mirrors???? [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.kawasakininja1000.com/forum/images/KawasakiNinja1000_toucan/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]
I wasn't the only one that read it that way???
post #33 of 45 Old 03-28-2019, 08:47 PM

Lol.....No, I drive the f350 , all day, and kind of picture myself lane splitting as I roll into the various intersections. Will it even help, other than being rear ended? So far, there's one intersection where I could have saved maybe 5 minites. It's hard to calculate the risk, too. I've not seen any motorcycle split lanes, and I can imagine the "fuck you's!!!" headed my way. When two trucks are side by side, the amount of room left, between them, is not much. I can't leave my ninja mirrors extended if I'm going to do this. An inch or two more narrow will be significant.

It really is a bullshit thing to make the law here. I'm not sure it helps northern Utah, other than in spirit.

As you guys saw, in that other thread, southern Utah is an amazing place to ride motorcycles. This bill was started in Southern Utah.. In talking with a few local people, this bill was a way to show how friendly southern Utah was/is to motorcycles. Pasing this bill was a way to promote utah, free, to a national audience.

2012 Ninja 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 45 Old 03-28-2019, 09:56 PM

@rcannon409 Be careful it is not legal until May 14th. Here is a link to the Department of Public Safety.
https://dpsnews.utah.gov/utahs-new-l...pIdJDakAyMyENE
rcannon409 likes this.
post #35 of 45 Old 03-29-2019, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
You're gonna lane split with an F350 and you're worried about the mirrors????
Hahah yup. Remove the mirrors and a F350 is the perfect vehicle for lane splitting.

I envision smart cars flying off the road like pinballs.
post #36 of 45 Old 03-29-2019, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalicke View Post
@rcannon409 Be careful it is not legal until May 14th. Here is a link to the Department of Public Safety.
Whoa, good point.
post #37 of 45 Old 03-29-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalicke View Post
Thank you. What do you think about this? I know you are 20-30 miles north of where I am. Is this going to help you? Is it something you will do?

2012 Ninja 1000
post #38 of 45 Old 04-25-2019, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Thank you. What do you think about this? I know you are 20-30 miles north of where I am. Is this going to help you? Is it something you will do?
For my commute to work I think it will save me 5 minutes on a normal day and 10 minutes on a busy day. I have been rear-ended at a stop light before. Short- Long story... Sitting at a light, van in front of me, car behind me was rear-ended launching it into me. Their bumper went between my rear tire and sub-frame. Catapulting me into the rear of the van. I hit it like a cartoon. Splat then slid down the door and rolled into the gutter. Broke my Helmet, totaled my R6, I was young and dumb. I did not sue or go to the hospital. I'm 40 now and this plus all the other stupid injuries I never got fixed are catching up to me. I am happy that I will not worry as much when stopped in traffic. The tricky part is going to be navigating people trying not to allow you to split between them. I talked to the UHP and they said that if someone deliberately hits you it is a Felony and they will be arrested for aggravated assault, reckless driving with the intent to do harm, and a couple other charges I don't remember. Basically they will be [email protected]$D and you can sue the shit out of them. To be honest I probably will not do it all the time for the first couple months. Only if I am in a hurry, I can see people not paying attention around me, the heat, or my "Spidey Since" telling me to get away from the traffic I am in.

rcannon409 Will you do it?
post #39 of 45 Old 04-25-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Lol.....No, I drive the f350 , all day, and kind of picture myself lane splitting as I roll into the various intersections. Will it even help, other than being rear ended? So far, there's one intersection where I could have saved maybe 5 minites. It's hard to calculate the risk, too. I've not seen any motorcycle split lanes, and I can imagine the "fuck you's!!!" headed my way. When two trucks are side by side, the amount of room left, between them, is not much. I can't leave my ninja mirrors extended if I'm going to do this. An inch or two more narrow will be significant.
This reads like new rider in CA, lol!

I can't imagine not filtering at red lights. People in the Bay Area barely touch the throttle when the light turns green, drives me nuts. Getting harder and harder to filter though, as traffic levels are skyrocketing, and everybody has their vehicles anywhere in the lanes other than center and pointed straight ahead. Basically impossible with the cases on the bike.

Even if it saves zero time, I say enjoy being able to take off properly when the light goes green! You'll learn how to maneuver your mirrors around their's, just takes a little practice.
Ishikawa likes this.
post #40 of 45 Old 04-25-2019, 03:01 PM

My biggest issue if we got this in TN is being forced to jump out first on green lights. Especially in Memphis it's rarely safe to get into the intersection for at least a second after the light turns green. Too many people blowing through on a red (not yellow). I do constantly sit behind a car at a light staring into my mirror at the car approaching. If it seems like they're coming up faster than I want I tap my brake to make it flash.

2011 N1K Black/Green
Custom 3D Printed Designs Here!
Custom 3D Printed Discussion Here!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page