Superbike transition remorse!? - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 128 Old 02-28-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Superbike transition remorse!?

So I just sold my 2015 BMW S1000RR and bought an 18 Ninja 1000. I have owned many motorcycles, to name a few; 12 CBR 1000RR, 2012 BMW S1000RR, 2014 Triumph Street Triple, 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 and ZX 14R.

I'm 61 this year and made a fairly spontaneous decision to sell my last Superbikes, the 15 S 1000RR and get the Ninja 1000 as a reasonable alternative with good power and more comfort. What's the problem? Not a lot considering I really do like this bike a lot, reasonably fast, handles reasonably well, looks great, seems solid with reasonably good wind protection. So why the remorse? Partially because of the loss of a truly awesome Superbike in the 15 S1000 and mostly because of too may "reasonably's"

So I'm now starting to consider an 18 R1, ZX-10R or another S1000RR. I'm just not sure I'm ready for for this much compromise, but only have 1300 miles on the bike, so we'll see.

Anyone else gone through this?
Hwy, tyrmeltr and rummaggio like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 128 Old 02-28-2019, 10:53 AM
57x

I went from a ZX10R to a ZX12R to a ZX14 to a Connie to a Ninja 1000. I too did not like that much compromise but wanted to be comfortable for long rides. Frankly there were a few irritations with the Ninja 1000 I could not get over. The seat, shock and swingarm are unacceptable, and the transmission gearing sucks. 4th, 5th and 6th are virtually the same. It was like riding a bike with only four gears. The seat I could only ride on for maybe 100 miles before needing to have the seat surgically removed from my ass. I tried them all, Sargent, Kawi Gel, Corbin, nothing was better than the terrible OEM seat. The shock is worthless, but there is a company many people send the stock shock to and they say it is a big help. I cannot remember the name but can find it if you need. Those swingarm adjusters are just a bad 80's design back here today. I already had axle alignment issues at 15K miles because as the pucks wear the axle tilts.

I am now a very happy H2 SX SE owner. Not quite the torque of the 12 or 14, but plenty of power for my humble needs.
Hwy, tyrmeltr and glider like this.
post #3 of 128 Old 02-28-2019, 10:54 AM

Garage
Oh man I feel ya. I came from a 2015 R1 that was my daily rider. Over 30k miles in 3 years. I'm kinda in that 1% category of squid that survived to middle age and is now a Kraken.

Anyways, totaled that bike and decided to try something better for commuting and the ability to take longer trips. I figured the Ninja 1K while a "sport tourer" was the sportiest of the sport tourers. I thought the owners would gravitate 50/50 between sport riders that still need a great street bike and touring riders, with some being kinda of both. At 44 I still feel young and too crazy for this bike compared to a lot of the owners, so it's refreshing to see someone in their 60s have the same concerns.

That said, while I may have never lusted for the Ninja 1000, I have, after spending thousands on mods, learned to appreciate the bike for what it is. It's a head not heart bike for me. This year I plan on riding to Laguna Seca for World Superbike and later in the Summer riding Yosemite and the Sierras, a trip I could never do on a supersport these days. I still miss how that R1 revved and pulled on top though, that bike was like a drug. That said, not sure how many years I will keep this bike and I have my eyes peeled for the market offering something that gives me the qualities of the Ninja 1000 with higher levels of performance.

Not a BMW guy myself, but the S1000XR would perhaps be a bike to consider. A little more ADV positioned than the Ninja 1000 but so much of that S1000RR DNA in it a guy like you would appreciate.

I really really like the Yamaha MT-10 except the looks and lack of wind protection. Having ridden them a few time the bike is about 85-90% of what my R1 is but in a much more liveable package. In a few years I may still end up with one and put a dorky windscreen on it. Even better if Yamaha comes up with a faired version or at least a half faring like the FZ1 had.

Also, I love the H2-SX, while a bigger bike than the Ninja 1000, the appeal of that supercharged motor is hard to pass up. Especially after reading with just a conservative tune it will make 200hp. Much like the Ninja 1000 it actually suits a lot of the riding I like to do, but with the power I miss. Beyond that I am considering adding a salvage title GSX-R750 to the garage for canyons and track days because I'm starting to realize I can't have one bike do it all without making a lot of compromises.
Darthanubis, rummaggio and glider like this.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 128 Old 02-28-2019, 11:20 AM
57x

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrmeltr View Post
Beyond that I am considering adding a salvage title GSX-R750 to the garage for canyons and track days because I'm starting to realize I can't have one bike do it all without making a lot of compromises.
Funny you said this as I just bought an 05 GSXR 1000 with a blown engine to have for more fun romps, shorter rides, etc. I will be busy this year building her up a new engine. At 58, I have not gotten over the fun of a SuperSport.

My track day bikes are an R3 I brought back from the dead (I built it for my girlfriend, but I steal it occasionally) and an 01 GSXR 1000. I am hoping to race a few races the 01 GSXR 1000 this year in AFM.
tyrmeltr likes this.
post #5 of 128 Old 02-28-2019, 12:23 PM

A stock N1k is nothing as fun as a nicely modded one...however it will never be a supersport bike.

The best compromise to have an all in one bike is really the H2SX In my humble opinion.

Have you tried the Naked BMW S1000R? That bike is a hoot aswell, light as an arrow and plenty of TQ. Nothing like the RR.
motoman, tyrmeltr and glider like this.
post #6 of 128 Old 02-28-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

57..I don't think I dislike the bike quite as much as you, it's mostly the power delivery and even worse wind protection than my RR's, mostly due to riding position that annoy me. I've kinda had the H2 experience with my ZX14-R I think so I still view them as compromise bikes and miss the purebred DNA of the superbikes. I do think the H2 ' s are pretty cool though.
post #7 of 128 Old 02-28-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Tyre melter...thanks. I think the biggest thing I'm missing is the lazer handling and the seamless power band. I hate when the Ninja seems to flatten out around 9k, plus as someone has mentioned the close gearing is annoying somewhat. All that said, I still really do like the bike. It's fun to ride, but honestly feels more like a naked, ala the S1000R than it does a faired sport bike or even sport tourer. I didn't buy another naked, had the Triumph Street Triple, because I came to hate the wind blast at any kind of speed over 75 or 80. At one point I had my BMW S1000 RR and a BMW K1600GT no compromise either way. Sadly I now have neither, so just left with compromise. I'm no BMW fan boy either although I do like and respect the bikes. Truth is, I've got a little 2018 R1 mania going right now, in Yamaha blue! I'll deal with my touring needs another way, although that isn't why I bought the Ninja. I truly thought It would satisfy my 60 year old need for speed and precision. It does somewhat, and as I said I do like the bike, just don't love it and motorcycles are kind of love affair objects for me
motoman likes this.
post #8 of 128 Old 02-28-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by proto2o View Post
A stock N1k is nothing as fun as a nicely modded one...however it will never be a supersport bike.

The best compromise to have an all in one bike is really the H2SX In my humble opinion.

Have you tried the Naked BMW S1000R? That bike is a hoot aswell, light as an arrow and plenty of TQ. Nothing like the RR.
Hey Pronto..yes I have. Nice bike, but naked a just don't do it for me for the most part. The H2 is a pretty good choice for one bike I would agree. Just afraid I'd still feel too much compromise in handling.
post #9 of 128 Old 02-28-2019, 01:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glider View Post
Tyre melter...thanks. I think the biggest thing I'm missing is the lazer handling and the seamless power band. I hate when the Ninja seems to flatten out around 9k, plus as someone has mentioned the close gearing is annoying somewhat. All that said, I still really do like the bike. It's fun to ride, but honestly feels more like a naked, ala the S1000R than it does a faired sport bike or even sport tourer. I didn't buy another naked, had the Triumph Street Triple, because I came to hate the wind blast at any kind of speed over 75 or 80. At one point I had my BMW S1000 RR and a BMW K1600GT no compromise either way. Sadly I now have neither, so just left with compromise. I'm no BMW fan boy either although I do like and respect the bikes. Truth is, I've got a little 2018 R1 mania going right now, in Yamaha blue! I'll deal with my touring needs another way, although that isn't why I bought the Ninja. I truly thought It would satisfy my 60 year old need for speed and precision. It does somewhat, and as I said I do like the bike, just don't love it and motorcycles are kind of love affair objects for me
With a full exhaust and tune, the bike is much better after 9k rpm. Oh and quickshifter is a must. Every bike I've had the past 10 years had an aftermarket or factory quickshifter and no bike this much money should come without one today. Still a lot of heavy steel engine parts, in a heavy bike compared to supersports full of titanium so it just doesn't rev as fast, spin as high, or pull as hard. I don't mind the gearing so much, it's nice not to have to tap dance on the shifter on the freeway. Just leave it in 6th and it's the fastest scooter you've ever ridden, haha.

No surprise it feels like a naked. The bike is for all intents and purposes, the Z1000 streetfighter with a full fairing. In fact, many other parts of the world the Ninja 1000 is called the Z1000SX.

My 2015 R1 was a beauty. I did a mashup of '15 and '17 bodywork to make it extra blue. Right before I totaled it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19732349_10211368356537699_2799600266154480008_n.jpg (117.6 KB, 25 views)
Hwy and glider like this.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.
post #10 of 128 Old 02-28-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Tyrmelter..tell me your thoughts and experience on your 15 R1, good bad and ugly. As I mentioned an 18 R1 is calling my name and even during my 2011-2019 S1000RR years, I wanted one. I believe the S1000RR is the better street bike with cc, heated grips, electronic suspension, ergos etc, but I can't shake the look and that crossplane 4cyl goodness and I think comfort and streetability on these bikes is all relative with vey little difference.
And to add from edit...what a gorgeous R1. I love that bike.

Last edited by glider; 02-28-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page