Question about performance - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 01-30-2019, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Question about performance

Having never ridden a liter bike before buying the N1K I wonder how it stacks up in the real world to other liter bikes. Specifically super sports. I understand ours can't really compete in an all out, top speed race but I've seen videos of the N1K racing various other liter bikes on the track and in some instances it beats them in the 1/4 mile. Are our bikes really that competitive at that distance or do the riders make the difference? Is what we have on par with the super sports in the quarter?

2015 Ninja 1000-Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Carbon Grey, Evotech Tidy Tail, Puig Windscreen (light smoke), Pirelli Angel GTs (190/55 rear), Sargent Seat, Kawasaki Hard Bags, Throttlemeister Throttle Lock Bar Ends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-30-2019, 08:43 AM

I have ridden a friends ZX-10 and that thing is seriously fast! My Ninja 1000 has a full exhaust with Ivans performance package and feels like it has more thrust to the rear wheel until maybe around 5000 ~ 6000 rpm. Once the ZX-10 gets its legs it screams toward the horizon with an anger that the Ninja can not muster. I think the ZX-10 would handily beat my bike in the quarter mile, if both riders launched equally well.

Would I consider trading my Ninja for a ZX-10?? Only if all I did were track days. The Ninja is a far better road bike in my opinion and has all the power one would ever need.

As an added point, my same riding buddy also has a fully modded and tuned ZX-14 which with which he won a big dyno shootout last year. Opening the throttle on that monster is an act of violence. The first time I let that thing eat I could not believe it!!!! After I closed the throttle and the world returned to normal I was laughing uncontrollably inside my helmet at what just happened.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
post #3 of 33 Old 01-30-2019, 10:29 AM

Garage
So I came from a 2015 Yamaha R1. Bike made 35 more hp than my N1k, and weighed at least 80lbs less. There really is no comparison in terms of performance.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 01-30-2019, 11:33 AM

Garage
Unfortunately physics dictate the winner with rider skill being equal. When you think of the average age in this bike though... it's very seldom equal.
tyrmeltr likes this.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #5 of 33 Old 01-30-2019, 12:28 PM

Depends on how you use it, really. On a track day (not a sanctioned race)..............it will hold its own in corners if its set up right, but you will get passed on the straights, violently. On the street, the supersport has very few advantages. The N1K makes more torque and HP than just about any other sporty-bike in the "usable" street rev range (up to 9,000rpms) which is where 90% of street riders ride.

I've owned and ridden just about everything over the past 25 years, and I don't see any modern supersport gapping me on a twisty section of road. Pull away from me when the road straightens out and speeds climb toward 100mph, yeah sure, the bike will fall behind.
post #6 of 33 Old 01-30-2019, 12:31 PM

Garage
I came from a ZX10, and yes, it was stupid fast, but I wouldn't trade back for anything. I think in magazine tests, the Ninja 1000 kept up to the ZX10 until around 100MPH, and then the ZX10 was a blur in the distance.
I kept my ZX10 for a year to be sure that the Ninja 1000 was going to be enough sport bike for me, and it absolutely is!
Like I said, I wouldn't trade back for anything.
HoloQuest likes this.

2014 Ninja 1000
2008 KLX 450R
post #7 of 33 Old 01-30-2019, 02:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldaddygroove View Post

I've owned and ridden just about everything over the past 25 years, and I don't see any modern supersport gapping me on a twisty section of road. Pull away from me when the road straightens out and speeds climb toward 100mph, yeah sure, the bike will fall behind
Perhaps so. Perhaps you just haven’t met your match, but I do think a supersort is not the optimal bike for the lowe speed twisty stuff.

Max Biaggi shows up in Malibu every now and then. On a 250cc scooter. Nobody can keep up with him on it in the canyons. There is some real talent down here too.

Oh and I’m reminded of the stunt rider for the film industry that would show up on a plated CR500 set up for supermoto on slicks. That dude was a madman, backing it in laying blackies and wheelieing out of corners as he checked out on everyone.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.
post #8 of 33 Old 01-30-2019, 03:37 PM

Well, you are comparing riders of significantly different skill. Plenty of those around :-)
tyrmeltr likes this.
post #9 of 33 Old 01-30-2019, 03:58 PM

In the twisties, Iíve ridden with guys on R1, ZX10R, CBR1000RR and Panigale V4. The only bike Iíve struggled to keep up with is the Panigale V4. With the other bikes, no problem keeping up. Yes, my Ninja is heavily modded and perhaps not truly representative of the bike that rolls out of the factory. But then, those track bikes arenít stock either. Having said that, one of my buddies has upgraded from a ZX10R to a Panigale V4 and where previously I could comfortably keep his ZX10R in sight or behind me, his new Panigale V4 is just too good for my Ninja... sigh. I have to take risks to keep up in the twisties with him on his Panigale V4 and that is spooky. Even with the risk taking, I have to eventually give up. That V4 is too damn good.

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
G&G Moto2 exhaust cans + Akrapovic exhaust header
Rapid Bike Evo fuel controller + YouTune
BMC filter
Traxxion Dynamics front forks kit + Penske shock
Hyperpro RSC Steering Damper
Rotobox Carbon Fibre 300ST Wheels
Brembo 19RCS Corsa Corta master cylinder
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Baja S2 Pro auxiliary lights
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard
post #10 of 33 Old 01-30-2019, 05:11 PM

The ninja 1k is a great bike, however you cannot compare it to newer SS bikes. My ninja 1k is heavily modified and it has nothing against my stock 2018 ZX10RR.

Two completely different leagues.

A better comparison would be to compare it to other uprights.
tyrmeltr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page