Raising The Forks - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-25-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Raising The Forks

Hi All,

I have a 2017 and am wanting to quicken the steering. Ive already changed to a 190/55 rear tire so Im contemplating raising the forks. Im wondering if anyone has raised their forks, by how much, and if you had any clearance issues? Im a more sport oriented rider and accordingly like to use every bit of available clearance when at lean. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-25-2019, 09:47 AM

You should be able to do that. I think you can get somewhere around 5mm before there are issues.

I ended upgrading my suspension, but before I did that, I bought a t rex adjustable link. Many buy these to lower their bike, but it can also be used to raise the back end. I found that to be a better alternative. Last time i was on ebay, there was a used one there for 15.00 so it can be a really cheap thing to add.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-25-2019, 09:55 AM

Garage
Yeah I wouldn't go more than 5mm, especially with the 55 rear. If it starts to get a little twitchy look into getting a steering damper/stabilizer. I have the GPR and am very happy with it.

That said, make sure you sag, spring rate, and damping is right, because that's going to vary the steering geometry greatly if you have excessive sag and dive.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-25-2019, 10:35 AM

I've raised the fork tubes 5mm on both my 2012 and my 2017, along with a 55 series rear tire and there are no issues. I do not notice any twitchiness and I'm a knee dragger and see no problem with ground clearance
tyrmeltr likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-25-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
You should be able to do that. I think you can get somewhere around 5mm before there are issues.

I ended upgrading my suspension, but before I did that, I bought a t rex adjustable link. Many buy these to lower their bike, but it can also be used to raise the back end. I found that to be a better alternative. Last time i was on ebay, there was a used one there for 15.00 so it can be a really cheap thing to add.

How much did you raise the rear with the link? Noticeable difference in turn in??
post #6 of 15 Old 01-25-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldaddygroove View Post
I've raised the fork tubes 5mm on both my 2012 and my 2017, along with a 55 series rear tire and there are no issues. I do not notice any twitchiness and I'm a knee dragger and see no problem with ground clearance
Thanks for the response! Since you have a 2017 too Ive read that a few people have only been able to raise the forks 6mm due to the handlebar design. However, Im able to raise mine by 9mm. Is yours maxed out at 5mm??? Also, does the 5mm make a noticeable difference for you?
post #7 of 15 Old 01-25-2019, 01:13 PM

Garage
What tires did you switch to when you went the 55?

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-25-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Pirellis Angel ST
post #9 of 15 Old 01-25-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNNinja1000 View Post
How much did you raise the rear with the link? Noticeable difference in turn in??
I've tried a lot of different settings. Right now,, probably 15mm higher than stock. It's so easy to adjust that precision measurements are not really needed. With that link, it takes just a few seconds so you experiment until you like the feel. The forks take much longer.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-26-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNNinja1000 View Post
Thanks for the response! Since you have a 2017 too Ive read that a few people have only been able to raise the forks 6mm due to the handlebar design. However, Im able to raise mine by 9mm. Is yours maxed out at 5mm??? Also, does the 5mm make a noticeable difference for you?

I see no difference between the handlebar design of the 2012 versus the 2017. I raised my fork tubes on my 2012 by 7mmn and that was as far as they would go. I "chose" to only do 5mm on my 2017. Yes, the 5mm made a noticeable difference. Significant improvement. I did not experiment with any other positions. It worked, and that was good enough for me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page