The StreetFighter Build - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 Old 11-20-2018, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The StreetFighter Build

After my crash I've been left with a decision that has consumed me. Do I rebuild and repair the bike so its sorta "like" new, or say fuck it and turn her into a Streetfighter? I've had a hard time deciding to be honest. On one hand I bought the bike because I'm a bit older now and I really liked how comfortable it was, and on the other hand I want a project, and and I'd like to save some money. Either way its going to cost me a chunk of money, but I feel like the Streetfighter route will be cheaper, and less of a headache in the long run. On top of that, projects are always fun.

The Good: The bike still runs great. The rear end took no damage. Insurance company didn't care to even look at it so title remains clean!

The Bad: Maintenance time... chain, sprockets, brakes, spark plugs, air filter are all due. My broken bones have left me feeling tired a lot.

The Ugly: Left/Right fairings are shot. The entire headlight fairing/housing/lights/coolant reservoir etc... exploded into a thousand pieces. Rearset snapped. One of my Givi side cases broke. Rash here and there, but whats really annoying is the entire front end brackets seem to have been pushed back about 1". I had to modify my new coolant reservoir just to mount it and start the bike...

Conclusion: The cost to fix certain things like the headlight assembly could be $500-$900 alone. The adjustable windscreen hardware is broken and offset. I could get lucky and bang a few things back in place with a hammer, but I don't see the benefit of that here, and with resell value in the shitter it seems like a bad investment. Hell my brother told me to slap a $30 ebay fairing on the front and call it a day, but I can't do that to her.

So I took most of the broken stuff off and took some pictures. I gave her a bath afterwards.

I've never done anything like this before, but I already have a vision for the bike in my head. It will probably be end up being a slow build, although I'm not expected to return to work until Mid-January so I have plenty of time, just not plenty of money.... I will post some ideas here and random brainstorming to get ideas from anyone who cares to give input or suggestions. It will be appreciated. With that said I'm going to go ahead and share some of my plans now, and I'm sorry if this is a bit sloppy and a long read. My bike is a 2011, and it has about 20,000 miles on it. I'm planning to murder it out. Anything that isn't black is probably going to be covered in paint, or vinyl to a certain extent. The exhaust is going to be loud, and the front end is probably going to look like a sportier Harley to some degree. I want the lights to really shine(didn't see that damn deer) and I'd even like to fabricate my own underbelly fairing down the line as well as a front wheel fairing. I'm not going for any sort of gains here. The bike is fast enough for me as is, I honestly love its characteristics and I hope what I do to it doesn't negatively impact it in any way.

Here is a very basic sketch of my new front end plans. Please take it with a grain of salt.

Build Goals

1: Shed weight. Rear grab bars, rear foot pegs/brackets, various fairing brackets etc.... They all have to go. That means the girlfriend too! I have no plans of having her on the back of the bike again, but I really like the rear end of my bike so no adjustments there. Will I save weight? Sure probably, but now my bike isn't very aerodynamic so I don't see any real gains to be had. It really just gets rid of the stuff I can no longer use.

2: Exhaust. Breadbox Delete. In order to put the exhaust where I want it I have to delete this. I think I'll keep the cat, delete the breadbox, and run pipes similar to the Urban Brawlers right behind my feet. Not sure how this will mesh with my Ivans tune, and any advice appreciated. I want it to be a bit louder than Urban Brawlers, but not to where it hurts my ears. I also want to keep it a dual exhaust.

3: Lights. Amazon has this awesome 7" LED headlight, with two 4" fog lights kit for $99. The 4" fogs are a bit large in my opinion, but again I'm just throwing ideas. This is a Harley replica light set for 1/6th the cost, and with better reviews. I really love the look of the new bar end turn signals, if I could possibly get them to sync with this headlight it could be very interesting in my opinion. Of course wiring it all is my kryptonite.

4: Handlebars. Our triple tree is a bit limiting from the little time I looked at it earlier, but I hope to figure out a way to mount some Renthal Streetfighter style bars. I also hope to have my gauge cluster mounted up there as well. I'll probably end up with some CRG mirrors, and as mentioned I'd like to figure out some bar end turn signals.

5: Windscreen. You will be missed... Seriously this is one thing that gives me doubt. Our bike with the Puig windscreen was magical. Hot day just drop it down, cold day pick it up. One of my favorite Ninja 1000 features that can completely change your level of comfort in an instant. I hope to find a way to have a removable bracket for a windscreen that isn't an eyesore.

Other mods... Denali Soundbomb, Exhaust Wrap(or paint), Radiator Guard, Venhill Brake Lines, Lowering Link(1"), Underbelly Fairing, Front Wheel Fairing, Extended Rear Wheel Fairing, Relocate Coolant Reservoir, Relocate Rear Brake Reservoir, and more.

She's in surgery...

Last edited by Biddles; 11-20-2018 at 12:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 11-20-2018, 01:26 AM

Garage
Considering the N1k is essentially a full fairing version of the Z1000 streetfighter, this is a no brainer route to go. Probably some bits here and there from one you can incorporate to help facilitate your build. Looking forward to seeing this pan out.
Biddles likes this.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.
post #3 of 59 Old 11-20-2018, 08:08 AM

Sounds like a fun and interesting project. I think this could be one heck of a street fighter. I think there will be many members curious see how this turns out. Please keep us posted.
Biddles likes this.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 Old 11-20-2018, 08:45 AM

I bet you could use the z 1000 upper triple clamp and bars. There are bar kits for our stock bike, but the cost is over 300.00.

If you Google it, years back someone put a ninja 1000 fuel tank on his z1000. His parts list should be similar to what you need, or that might be a resource worth looking at?
mrsand, Biddles and tyrmeltr like this.
post #5 of 59 Old 11-20-2018, 09:03 AM

https://www.z1000forum.com/forum/z10...1000-tank.html

Your bike will probably look better since it does not have the plastic garbage on the front fork.
Biddles likes this.
post #6 of 59 Old 11-20-2018, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That is a great idea, and that's exactly why I made this thread. Our triple tree tops are a bit different, the Z1000 ignition is located elsewhere before the triple tree, and ours is obviously attached above it. Partzilla is my go to resource for part comparisons, and while our top trees are different, our lowers are the exact same part # so this should fit perfectly and allow me to put the bars I want! Thanks again rcannon!

Modifying ours for an aftermarket riser would probably be difficult, and dangerous depending on material needing to be removed. I had Apex 3" risers on my CBR, but they faded from black to purple to blue pretty quick, and I don't think they'd fit with my ideas for this bike. Now I need a Z1000 triple tree for cheap!

EDIT: I guess I'll have to figure out new ignition mounting, and I notice the Z1000 triple tree has a few mounting options right up front so I'll do some research on that before I buy anything.

She's in surgery...
post #7 of 59 Old 11-20-2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well I thought I found a guy on ebay with a Z1000 triple tree top for $75 but it disappeared. Partzilla sells them new for $185 on sale right now which is still more than I'd like to spend. Can't seem to find any aftermarket replacements online, so I'm still looking.

She's in surgery...
post #8 of 59 Old 11-20-2018, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
General exhaust mockup. Think I'll need a bigger middle adapter for the Hanger, and Y pipe. Again just throwing ideas around, and I want it louder, just not stupid loud. She might need some DB Killers.

She's in surgery...
post #9 of 59 Old 11-21-2018, 08:35 PM

FBiddles, be ready when removing the ignition switch, itself. This is usually an item that gets removed, on a stolen bike, so the factories try to make it impossible to remove. Count on high temp thread lock and strange fasteners. Often times it's easier to drill them out/off. Swearing is always optional.
post #10 of 59 Old 11-21-2018, 10:02 PM

If you build it they will come

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page