Drag Strip Fun - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 08-23-2018, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Drag Strip Fun

Our local drag strip has an open night street drags. No prep. Flash light starts. Just pay your $10 and line up. I'm going this Friday night.

2014 NINJA 1000
All stock, except new street tires.
Any guesses what it will run in an 1/8 mile.
I know the supersport bikes will beat me, but it'll be fun. Hey maybe I can beat them at the line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-23-2018, 04:31 PM

Garage
Don't give up so easily now...... I've only been twice with a total of 11 runs and against none stretched bikes that weren't breathing laughing gas AND.... where I didn't drop the ball too bad the bike held up its end of the bargain. My best 1/8th was I think a 6.98 at 110 and with a better pilot I think there is more in it but who knows.

In the video attached you see me against a stretched 600 on juice that annihilates me off the line but it was a good pass other then a little tire spin in first.
I've now recently installed a 17 tooth front sprocket which should let me complete a good 1/8th mile pass in 3rd as before a good 1/8th pass would have me shifting into 4th gear 200 feet from the finish line.

In the second video you'll see a couple of passes in the 1/4 and in one what you might see from your ABS system if you do a burn out.

Best advice though is have fun.
rcannon409, jr_tx and ZRX1100NL like this.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/38000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #3 of 28 Old 08-23-2018, 09:23 PM

Avintage how do you keep the front end down when the rpm's ramp up in first and second. Mine starts lifting and i have to get off the gas to get the front end down before i reach the shift point on wide open throttle. Mine comes up quick in first.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's

Last edited by Mark59; 08-23-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 08-23-2018, 10:05 PM

A vintage, well done. You look very professional in the videos.

I think Mark and I are halfway screwed, on road. With an off-road background, it was nothing to break the rear tire loose, and letmit spin, to control the front end. Not so easy, onroad.

Our local drag strip has been there for over 50 years. It closes, in late September, leaving nothing behind. The city is 4x as large as when I was a kid, and we still cannot support a drag race track?

2012 Ninja 1000
post #5 of 28 Old 08-23-2018, 10:49 PM

Garage
@Mark59 Throttle control of course. LOL OK partially anyways. But to try and answer the question... with Ivan's it doesn't stay down at all, YOU help keep it down. T.C. will kick in and do it for you eventually but it pogo's in my experience.
I roll on throttle in 1st pretty guickly and if I hear the missing cylinder or see the flash of the T.C. light I freeze the throttle roll for just a split second. That seems to do it for me anyway.

Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #6 of 28 Old 08-24-2018, 08:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
A vintage, well done. You look very professional in the videos.

I think Mark and I are halfway screwed, on road. With an off-road background, it was nothing to break the rear tire loose, and letmit spin, to control the front end. Not so easy, onroad.

Our local drag strip has been there for over 50 years. It closes, in late September, leaving nothing behind. The city is 4x as large as when I was a kid, and we still cannot support a drag race track?
@rcannon409 ha-ha yeah right... I see myself as a total NOB hanging in there at the edge of his abilities, BUT having a good time so nothing else matters.
rcannon409 likes this.

post #7 of 28 Old 08-24-2018, 05:42 PM

Ha ha the only TC i got is my wrist, i got one of those boat anchor ninjas but we know they got al the power ha ha.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
post #8 of 28 Old 08-30-2018, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

The race got rained out last week. Going Saturday night. They're runnine a double event. Bracket race off the tree. Then a street style race off a flash light.
1/8 mile, track prep off the tree. Then flip the track so prep at the start line (which is the regular finish line).
Should be cool, but will have to figure out my lauch with two different track coditions.
post #9 of 28 Old 08-30-2018, 03:48 PM

Garage
I be willing to bet that no prep kills better then 50 percent or more of a stretched bikes advantage. Hope eat a few of them up.

post #10 of 28 Old 08-30-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avintage69 View Post
@Mark59 Throttle control of course. LOL OK partially anyways. But to try and answer the question... with Ivan's it doesn't stay down at all, YOU help keep it down. T.C. will kick in and do it for you eventually but it pogo's in my experience.
I roll on throttle in 1st pretty guickly and if I hear the missing cylinder or see the flash of the T.C. light I freeze the throttle roll for just a split second. That seems to do it for me anyway.
Hey Avintage, to what number did you have the traction control set? 3, 2, 1 ? ( it doesn't sound like you turned off completely)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page