Any idiot can crack a throttle... - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 Old 07-30-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Any idiot can crack a throttle...

...but how about dragging the toes of their boots in the twisties?????
A guy on a super-hot 200+mph GSXR 1000 was right with me and he said my side bags were about six inches off the ground! It was SO COOL!!!!!! I don't need to do that again!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dragged boots 1.jpg (33.9 KB, 72 views)

2017 NINJA 300(0) ABS KRT ("Sheldon")
2015 green N1K (Is there any other color?? Much-loved and missed...)
2013 VW Beetle TDI 6spd convertible ("Bug")

Someday I hope to be the rider that my bike deserves.

ATGATT: Because the laws of physics couldn't care less

All the worry in the world doesn't prevent death. It prevents life.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 07-30-2018, 07:21 PM

Garage
Hey Bazz, I thought that stuff was for the track?????

LOL you know I like it though.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/38000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #3 of 58 Old 07-30-2018, 07:38 PM

Yea bazz what kind of example are you trying to set, lol thats some cool stuff, but keep the paint on the side bags

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 Old 07-30-2018, 08:19 PM

Its always amazed me how twisted this sort of thinking has become. As if dragging things equals speed.

There's a big difference when a moto go rider drags his elbow, on Moto gp tires, than when one of us does around a war mart parking lot.

One rider really needs the lean angle to deal with his speed, the other would get passed by a fast rider since he's just he'll bent on dragging things, and using up his tire.

There is also a brain and comment sessempart to this. One rider is on a priceless custom tire that will be 100% worn out, in 82 miles. The other is on tries we buy at our local stores.

If a person needed proof, watch some of the Isle Of Man racing. Those guys are the world's fastest street riders and use as little lean angle as possible.

It's become much like guys who can wheelie a 1/4 mile. A great stunt, but a measure of nothing.
adm2204 likes this.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #5 of 58 Old 07-30-2018, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
Its always amazed me how twisted this sort of thinking has become. As if dragging things equals speed.

There's a big difference when a moto go rider drags his elbow, on Moto gp tires, than when one of us does around a war mart parking lot.

One rider really needs the lean angle to deal with his speed, the other would get passed by a fast rider since he's just he'll bent on dragging things, and using up his tire.

There is also a brain and comment sessempart to this. One rider is on a priceless custom tire that will be 100% worn out, in 82 miles. The other is on tries we buy at our local stores.

If a person needed proof, watch some of the Isle Of Man racing. Those guys are the world's fastest street riders and use as little lean angle as possible.

It's become much like guys who can wheelie a 1/4 mile. A great stunt, but a measure of nothing.

Fair enough. IIRC, it was a 25mph, maybe 30mph, posted twisty section. But I wasn't going track speed. Nowhere near it. But fast enough that I had to lean my body (not my bike) far enough to make the curves, that I dragged my boots. I didn't drag any bike parts. I see it as a milestone that my skill set has improved so much that I can do that safely (not that I want to make a habit of it), as well as a testament to how great the N1K handles on a set of Q3+s. As a matter of fact, the other guy that was riding with us had a brand new Triumph sport bike and he said that as soon as the stock tires are shot, he's getting Q3+'s.

post #6 of 58 Old 07-31-2018, 01:25 AM

Id say your foot positioning on the pegs is wrong. And dangerous. You can easily have a bone-crunching recoil if youre dragging your toes.
rcannon409 likes this.

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
G&G Moto2 exhaust cans + Akrapovic exhaust header
Rapid Bike Evo fuel controller + YouTune
BMC filter
Traxxion Dynamics front forks kit + Penske shock
Hyperpro RSC Steering Damper
Rotobox Carbon Fibre 300ST Wheels
Brembo 19RCS Corsa Corta master cylinder
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Baja S2 Pro auxiliary lights
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard
post #7 of 58 Old 07-31-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikram View Post
Id say your foot positioning on the pegs is wrong. And dangerous. You can easily have a bone-crunching recoil if youre dragging your toes.

Good point, thanks. I'll pay closer attention to that. I'm pretty sure I had the balls of my feet on the pegs, but the toe of my boot hangs over the front (even with my midget feet). But the pegs mounts are jointed to help mitigate that, too, right? I dragged a peg on my NT700V once (but not my boot) and it moved as designed. That was before I learned the whole body lean thing. I hit a corner I took almost daily near my old house harder than usual. Got my attention, that's for sure!!

post #8 of 58 Old 07-31-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post

In the same vein, we praise bicycle racers for the amazing things they do in a racing environment on bicycles that weigh ounces. I suppose it's tooting my own horn, but I always thought it was a greater feat to tow my toddler in a kid trailer full of toys, diaper bag, etc behind a 45-pound recumbent trike for 40 miles in and around a city.

Yes, we can certainly apply some racing techniques (perhaps modified, i.e. leaning in hard but not dragging knees and elbows) to the street. But I think the fact that we can hone our skills to do amazing things on the street within safe and (reasonably compliant) legal limits in our daily riding is pretty cool. Yeah, I wanna do a track day to learn stuff and see how fast I can push the silly thing, but I think conquering the real world is of more value.

post #9 of 58 Old 07-31-2018, 12:10 PM

Garage
See Baz, that bug... when it bites is a sure enough make you want more of it one isn't it?

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/38000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #10 of 58 Old 07-31-2018, 01:12 PM

I broke my ankle many years ago. Since then I do not have the range of motion like my other foot. When I was a roadracer I constantly dragged my toe because I couldn't get it up and out of the way. I would see picks of me with my toe smoking at full lean! I also would go through a couple pair of expensive boots a season. For me it was like a curb feeler, the first thing to touch down. And yes, it can lead to you jamming your foot pretty good. Try putting it in more towards the frame in turn and then back out after. You'll save money on boots.

Volenti Non Fit Injuria.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page