Why use a Power Commander? - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 Old 07-18-2018, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Why use a Power Commander?

I watched a video about this so I understand it a bit more. But I wonder what the specific benefits are on our bike. Is the OEM fueling inefficient? The Kali shop tells me not to mess with the ECM system because it will void my warranty.

Former Bikes
Ninja 1000 (Crashed and trashed)

Ninja 650
Can Am Spyder F3
Honda Interceptor
Honda Nighthawk 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 07-18-2018, 01:07 PM

There's really no need for one on our modern bikes. You can get anything you want with an ECU flash.

In short, you'd want one if you want to alter the air/fuel ratio to your personal liking (mostly on older bikes - newer bikes have a more sophisticated ECU).

Modern bikes run too lean in low rpm and it typically affects the smoothness of the throttle response. It gets snatchy and your bike runs hotter than it should.
robertv19 and ZRX1100NL like this.
post #3 of 56 Old 07-18-2018, 01:35 PM

It's also more for if you want to change your bike's fueling quickly, without waiting for someone to flash the ECU (or having to pull your bike apart and do it yourself). It's not the same, but I have a tuner on my truck that has 5 modes I can switch between for different things I need.

2011 N1K Black/Green
Custom 3D Printed Designs Here!
Custom 3D Printed Discussion Here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 Old 07-18-2018, 02:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by luciano136 View Post
There's really no need for one on our modern bikes. You can get anything you want with an ECU flash.
Flash for the 2017 is still unavailable... I'm not exactly sure what Nels 2 Wheel Dynoworks offers, but nobody else seems to have anything.
I may have to resort to a PC-V until a reliable flash is available. And I would only do that after seeing several successful implementations.

My main motivation is so I can install a 4-1 pipe and lose the cat. I'm not expecting huge performance gains.
robertv19 likes this.

Speed Thrills.
post #5 of 56 Old 07-18-2018, 02:38 PM

Garage
@Night Hawk
I am one of those that worries excessively about voiding a warranty due to a past experience on a car.
When I decided to do Ivan's flash I chose to purchase a used ECM and send that in and keep the factory ECM on hand for warranty work If any thing ever came up.
Recently I had a rear brake line failure and but back in the stock ECM and header before taking it in for repairs. Of course they got approval to and ordered the part which came in the same week. A great experience with the extended warranty but no where near cost effective yet.
The funny part is while picking the bike up and speaking with the service writer he tried to sell me a fuel controller. So I took the opportunity and asked how dealers handle warranty work when fuel controllers are installed. He replied unless it's a hack job they would mention it was installed. I then mentioned there was a company that would reflash the ECM and if this was done would it void the warranty? He laughed and said unless they cracked or cut the cast how would anyone even know. I still will put the stock ECU back in for warranty work but if needed in a jam wouldn't be near as worried on the bike.
As for why a shop would recommend a PC V over a tune like Ivans, my belief is because they can't sale the tune.
rcannon409 likes this.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #6 of 56 Old 07-18-2018, 02:52 PM

Up until a few years ago, ivan offered a powercommander that went with our ninja flash. A gew years later, he updated his flash, and we did not need to use rhe pcv anymore.

Its decent technology, but far too limited in its abilities to help much anymore. Obsolete is rhe best word i can think of.
post #7 of 56 Old 07-18-2018, 03:37 PM

The Power Commander website only goes up to model year 2013 for the Ninja 1000.
Seems like they realized the same thing we did regarding the technology.

That being said, I would love to have my bike run cooler and less lean at low RPM's.

On a somewhat related note - has anyone ever tried one of these?

https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/kaw...ries-68c1.html

Rob
post #8 of 56 Old 07-18-2018, 04:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertv19 View Post
That being said, I would love to have my bike run cooler and less lean at low RPM's.

On a somewhat related note - has anyone ever tried one of these?

https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/kaw...ries-68c1.html

Rob
Surprisingly, good reviews for the Booster Plug...

https://www.webbikeworld.com/booster-plug/
robertv19 likes this.

Speed Thrills.
post #9 of 56 Old 07-18-2018, 04:10 PM

The first clue on the booster plug is to see the article is from 2010.
robertv19 likes this.
post #10 of 56 Old 07-18-2018, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Lots of good info, thanks. I also wonder, if you change the headers is a flash needed?

Former Bikes
Ninja 1000 (Crashed and trashed)

Ninja 650
Can Am Spyder F3
Honda Interceptor
Honda Nighthawk 750

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page