Zx-14r - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 06-07-2018, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Zx-14r

Any 1000ABS owner ridden or owned the 14R and can offer a comparison? I know the obvious that I can read on paper. What I am more interested in is riding position, ergonomics, etc. as it may impact a "mature" rider such as myself (49). I am about 5'10", 185 lbs. Also, any other thing you may deem relevant to my internal debate concerning whether to add the 14R to the stable. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 06-07-2018, 12:25 PM

I had two ZX-14 (2007 and 2010) - so this was prior to the R that I think came out in 2012, if memory serves.
I'm roughly the same age and size as you and I can say that while the riding position is more forward leaning than the N1K - it's not extreme in the least. I felt it was quite comfortable on long rides. I had bought some used bar risers, but never ended up using them.
I put Givi bags on mine and used to sport-tour in PA for multiple day trips and never had any issues with comfort.
I will say that the N1K is more fun in the twisties as it is far more flickable (14 has a pretty long wheelbase), but the 14 is buttery smooth (very little vibration or "buzz-i-ness" at all)
And the power is ree-donk.
I would buy another one if the right deal came along.

Hope that helps - feel free to ask any questions here or via PM.

Cheers,

Rob
post #3 of 28 Old 06-07-2018, 01:01 PM

Garage
Weeeellll, the 14R is a large, heavy bike, with phenomenal capabilities.

You can get various bar risers for it.

The short answer is, if you're doing shorter rides or riding around town at all, the Ninja 1000 is the better choice: Lighter, easier to maneuver, more flickable.

If you're planning to take some long rides, and you enjoy the occasional triple-digit burst, get the ZX-14. And because of its size, it handles 2-up better.

However, it looks like the 14R and other large displacement bikes like it are on the way out, especially in light of the H2 SX. I think the 14R makes a great Sport-touring bike, leaning toward the Sport side, but it's straddling the line, and most riders want to go one way or the other. So something like the FJR-1300 might make more sense.
robertv19 likes this.

Speed Thrills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 06-07-2018, 01:10 PM
57x

There is really nothing to compare here. I just sold my 2014 Ninja 1000 ABS recently and had a ZX14R some time ago. Completely different riding position, wind protection, etc. The 14R is 75 lbs heavier, but feels like a light bike when you ride it. Quite low center of gravity. The 14R is a sport bike, so you are laying down on it a lot. The windscreen is way too low to provide much of any wind protection. I always felt like I was going to get tossed off the bike with so much wind on me. Obviously there is no comparison in power. The 14R just screams at any RPM with all the torque it has.

I am 57 years old, but most would not agree that does not mean I am mature. I opted for the new H2 SX SE instead. I had a ZX12R also in the past and loved it, but they had so many clutch issues I was always scared it was going to blow up. The H2 SX is between the ZX14R and Ninja 1000 for seating position. Oddly, I do not find the more leaned over position a problem on the H2 SX, coming from the Ninja 1000. Cruise control helps that a lot also.
robertv19 likes this.
post #5 of 28 Old 06-07-2018, 03:14 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1 on the ZX12R!
I had one briefly before my 2007 ZX14 and loved it!
It just scared the be-Jeebus out of me (I found that the 14's power was more manageable)
post #6 of 28 Old 06-07-2018, 04:22 PM

I have not ridden a zx14r only sat on one. I have not even seen a H2sx. That being said I would buy the zx14r. It only needs smaller pipes and is almost half the cost of an H2sx and has a lot more power.

ATGATT

2013 BMW K1300S 30 YR Edition

Past bikes
1972 Honda XL100
1974 Suzuki TM250
1974 Honda Elsinore250cr
1984 Honda Sabre v45
1986 Honda Sabre v65
1990 Harley 1200 Sporty
2003 Yamaha Vmax
2009 KTM 450 XCF -stolen
2011 Ninja N1k
2007 Honda 250 Crf250X
post #7 of 28 Old 06-07-2018, 06:38 PM

Garage
Quite honestly if they had made the ZX14 in an upright model I would have no doubt bought that instead of the N1k. It's an awesome and incredibly refined bike. But, after a 25 min test ride my shoulders and back were hurting and that just isn't going to cut it, and I don't think risers would have solved the problem.

I haven't sat on an H2sx so I don't know if it would be comfortable enough or not, but $22k is just too damn much for a Kawasaki even if it were comfortable. VFR 1200's with shaft drive weren't selling at $13k and it was discoed so I have a feeling the H2sx may end up in the same boat. I'm thinking it's probably the most like/comparable to the H2sx.

15' N1K - Akropovic, Ivan's Tune, Puig Short for summer, V-Stream Tall for winter, Gear Indicator, Memory Foam Seat
post #8 of 28 Old 06-07-2018, 08:54 PM

I have the 2013 ZZR1400 and it is a phenomenal machine. It starts every time even after 1 or 2 year storage with only startron in it as a stabilizer. There is a technique to ride it to be comfortable and that is to be 50/50 on the tank and seat rather than on 100% on the seat. Hard to explain.

It is really not THAT hard to corner, but it is hard to handle during slow speeds (5mph) unlike the N1K which is really easy.

It has ready horse hp in every gear but it is too much bike depending how ticket happy cops are where you live. You will not notice that you are already doing 80mph unless you pay attention to the speedometer and with the weird way how traffic tickets/30mph over can be criminalized, your job/reputation is actually on the line. lol. It would be nice if you can just pay the ticket and not have to deal something criminal charge related. (Las Vegas Style I believe?)

Now that the H2SX is out, maybe the ZX-14r will retire but the ZX-14R is still gonna be faster than the H2SX. Maybe with some tuning the H2SX will beat the ZX-14r.
post #9 of 28 Old 06-08-2018, 12:34 AM
57x

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo112233 View Post
I have the 2013 ZZR1400 and it is a phenomenal machine. It starts every time even after 1 or 2 year storage with only startron in it as a stabilizer. There is a technique to ride it to be comfortable and that is to be 50/50 on the tank and seat rather than on 100% on the seat. Hard to explain.

It is really not THAT hard to corner, but it is hard to handle during slow speeds (5mph) unlike the N1K which is really easy.

It has ready horse hp in every gear but it is too much bike depending how ticket happy cops are where you live. You will not notice that you are already doing 80mph unless you pay attention to the speedometer and with the weird way how traffic tickets/30mph over can be criminalized, your job/reputation is actually on the line. lol. It would be nice if you can just pay the ticket and not have to deal something criminal charge related. (Las Vegas Style I believe?)

Now that the H2SX is out, maybe the ZX-14r will retire but the ZX-14R is still gonna be faster than the H2SX. Maybe with some tuning the H2SX will beat the ZX-14r.
The only way the H2 SX will be faster is to rev it. I think that is just dumb and risky. To me, the point was to find a comfortable sport touring bike with lots of features and strong usable power. Mine has more power than I will ever need.

I wanted something more than the Ninja 1000 but don't want a Goldwing or an FJR1300 or a ZX14R. I think Kawasaki got it right and although I miss my 2015 Mustang I had to sell to afford this. I have absolutely no regrets. I will have over 10K miles on my H2 SX SE in the first six months. I could never put those kind of miles on my N1K without an ass transplant.

If I could have been involved in the decisions it would have been refining the Connie to more of a sportish bike, lighter, with many of the toys on the H2 SX SE. It would have been great and much cheaper than the H2 SX. I don't need a supercharged machine.
post #10 of 28 Old 06-08-2018, 09:16 AM

I traded my 2012 N1K (heavily modded) for a new 2014 ZX14r in 2016, and modded it up as well. I am 54 years old, 6' tall and in shape at 220lbs. As much as the 14 is an amazing machine, I just could not get as comfortable on it as I am on the N1K, so I traded it back a year later for a 2017 N1K.

There is something about the ergos on the N1K that just work for me. With clipons that change the angle of the bars, I can literally lay on the tank when I need to rest on long day rides (500+miles) and multi-day trips. Doing things like risers, windscreens etc on the 14r didn't really help. I just never felt comfortable on the 14r. Even putting rearsets on it to get my feet further back didn't help, because I wanted them like..........4 inches further back. It's like the pegs are too far forward for the reach to the bars, and you never really get to lay your gut on the tank. The seat is so huge, I have no idea what the 8 inches of empty seat is for behind my but. A third passenger?

There is no comparison in power
With a little suspension work, the 14r handles extremely well.

The 14r is happy at 100mph+ cruising
The aerodynamics of the fairing was impressive. My hands never got cold.

Much of my decision to get the 14r was price. They were blowing them out here in Vancouver for $12,000 (plus they gave you $1000 in parts credit), so essentially new, it was $11,000. That's less than half the price of a H2SX.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page